Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Help understanding heating problem?

Edge / E-Series
pesamento_novo

Help understanding heating problem?

#1 Post by pesamento_novo » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:41 am

Hi there!

I'm a Thinkpad E580 user and I love it. Unfortunately, I think it has been heating more then usual lately, which cause an annoying periodic fan noise. I'm currently using Linux Manjaro and I installed lm_sensors to monitor my laptop's temperature. Here's my output:

Code: Select all

amdgpu-pci-0200
Adapter: PCI adapter
vddgfx:      687.00 mV 
edge:         +47.0°C  (crit = +94.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)
power1:        4.01 W  (cap =  25.00 W)

iwlwifi_1-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +40.0°C  

thinkpad-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
fan1:           0 RPM
temp1:        +49.0°C  
temp2:         +0.0°C  
temp3:         +0.0°C  
temp4:         +0.0°C  
temp5:         +0.0°C  
temp6:         +0.0°C  
temp7:         +0.0°C  
temp8:         +0.0°C  

nvme-pci-0400
Adapter: PCI adapter
Composite:    +36.9°C  (low  = +109.8°C, high = +109.8°C)
                       (crit = +79.8°C)
Sensor 1:     +45.9°C  (low  = +109.8°C, high = +109.8°C)
Sensor 2:     +36.9°C  (low  = +109.8°C, high = +109.8°C)

ucsi_source_psy_USBC000:001-isa-0000
in0:           0.00 V  (min =  +5.00 V, max =  +5.00 V)
curr1:         3.25 A  (max =  +3.00 A)

coretemp-isa-0000
Package id 0:  +48.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0:        +48.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:        +48.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 2:        +48.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 3:        +47.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

pch_skylake-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +46.0°C  

BAT0-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
in0:          11.37 V  

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1:        +49.0°C  (crit = +127.0°C)
From my experimentations, I think that when the temperature of acpitz-acpi-0 reaches 50ºC the fan starts and brings it down a little, then the cycle starts again. But I cannot rule out that Sensor 1 in nvem-pci-0400 might be the culprit. I also notice that when the power chord is unplugged this behaviour happen less often, so it could be related to the battery.

I need help to figure out the location of these sensors in a E580 so I can understand what's going on. I can infer:
  • amdgpu-pci-0200: should be the dedicated graphic card
  • iwlwifi_1-virtual-0: should be the wifi card
  • thinkpad-isa-0000: unknown
  • nvme-pci-0400 : unknown
  • coretemp-isa-0000: should be 4 sensors, one for each physical CPU core.
  • pch_skylake-virtual-0 : unknown
  • acpitz-acpi-0 : unknown
Can anyone help?

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: Help understanding heating problem?

#2 Post by dr_st » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:36 am

Welcome to the forum. :)

Are you sure it's not the CPU temperatures that trigger fan to start when any of the cores (or the package) go over 50C? Usually fan speed is tied to CPU and GPU sensors most of all.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

pesamento_novo

#3 Post by pesamento_novo » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:37 pm

Thank you. Nice to be part of this fourm :) .

You're right. Being the CPU temperature that triggers the fan also makes sense. I just don't know if it is a real problem or just the normal behaviour of an aging laptop. I've come by a cooling pad and it seems to be working fine to keep everything under 50 ºC. I was just worried because my Thinkpad isn't 2 years old yet, so I would say that it shouldn't be heating up like this. Bringing the fan up every minute. On the other hand, I've been using it heavily since I bought it.

Does anyone as any experience that you can share?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:26 am

Lenovo is not known for doing a good job with thermal paste between fan and CPU.
Get some decent thermal paste like Noctua NT-H1 (or newer: NT-H2) or Arctic MX-4 (or newer: MX-5)
and clean up/replace the old paste.
Stay away from Thermal Grizzly.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

pesamento_novo

#5 Post by pesamento_novo » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:15 am

Thank you for the suggestion @RealBlackStuff. I've never done it, but I'll try it someday :mrgreen: .

pesamento_novo

#6 Post by pesamento_novo » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:24 am

I ran a couple of tests before deciding to re-apply thermal paste to the CPU and I was looking for some feedback regarding my tests.

While the laptop is charging the CPU package temperature continuously increases. In 15 minutes after power on it rose 11ºC. Then I applied it some strain and the temperature rose even more. When I stopped the temperature stayed near 46ºC. When the laptop is not plugged in, the system just stays very cool (near 33 ºC) and after being strained it returns to being cool. I've done this leaving the system idle.

My initial problem was that the fan started every couple minutes when I wasn't doing anything special with the system. When I bought a cooling pad the situation improved but the underlying problem wasn't solved. I also noticed that when I plug in my laptop to the power chord I hear a sound akin to when the system is powering up and then hear a quiet hum. Is it normal?

In my view it makes sense that the system has a harder time keeping itself cool when it is charging because the charging process generated additional heat. The hum must just be caused by this charging process. I just find it strange that it increases temperature only when it is charging. I'm trying to find out if the problem is some defect in the charging process or if the laptop is just in need of re applying thermal paste. I also notice that it is harder for the system to keep cool while charging the longer it is in continuous use.

I wanted to know what you guys think of this extra information before opening up my laptop.

Thank you for the help!

rdchinoy

#7 Post by rdchinoy » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:29 am

Dude your over thinking this.
There is nothing wrong with your temps.

On my laptop while running my engine simulator. It once reset.
This happens when the temps go past 99c I think all I know is I had a thermal shut down. Now this is bad.

I had two options one was to limit the max cpu to 80% in power setting this stopped also turning off turbo boost in the power manager helped it from rebooting but temps were above 80c.
Noise from the fans normally means the bearing is on the way out. I got a new fan.
Applied fresh heat paste. But was still hitting 80c. At 100% CPU.
So I downloaded a s/w called TP Fan. In TP fax I played with the custom ini file now it all works fine. Temps never go past 70c. Its been like this for the past 5 years. i.e. it has been running TP Fan control for the past 5 years and that has kept the temps down.
For normal use there was never a problem but the engine sim really loads the CPU and GPU to the max.
And your cribbing about 50c lol.