Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

E15 and Total Recorder

Edge / E-Series
evtate

E15 and Total Recorder

#1 Post by evtate » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:43 pm

I have been using a ThinkPad E570, and am now trying to get the same applications to work on my new ThinkPad E15 Gen 3.

I'm having a problem with "Total Recorder", an app made by High Criteria. It records an audio stream from any playback device (usually a browser or Windows Media Player). I've run it on my E570, and even earlier ThinkPads, with no problems -- it captures the audio, then can write it out in a variety of formats.

But on the E15, I can't even capture the audio. When I try to record, Total Recorder doesn't "hear" any input. I always get an error message "No playback sound detected".

I'm working with the High Criteria support people, but so far nothing they have suggested has worked. Now I am wondering if there is a problem with the E15's audio driver, Realtek(R) Audio, version 6.0.9126.1, date 3/2/2021. As far as I can tell, it's the most recent driver.

I wonder if anyone else has gotten Total Recorder to run on this platform? Or, do you know of system issues that would prevent an audio capture app from working? Thanks.

evtate

Re: E15 and Total Recorder

#2 Post by evtate » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:25 pm

Update. After several rounds of advice and experiments with the High Criteria people, I (and they) have given up. I assume there's something about the E15 Gen 3 that prevents this particular mechanism of audio capture from working. The vendor is out of suggestions. (They're not familiar with the E15 platform specifically.)

I've seen some suggestions to use Audacity with WASAPI, but I can't get that to work either. I've also seen suggestions to use a different app called VB Audio Cable, but High Criteria says that one uses the same mechanism as Total Recorder so it's unlikely to work, and I haven't tried it.

If anyone has gotten any audio capture application to work on the E15 Gen 3, I would appreciate some tips. For now, I'm borrowing an HP desktop PC in my household when I want to record an internet stream. The HP has a driver feature called "stereo mix", which makes this work; that feature appears to be absent on my Lenovo.

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by axur-delmeria » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:39 pm

Have you tried an older version of the driver?
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

evtate

#4 Post by evtate » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:50 pm

Thanks; no, I haven't tried an older version. I see only this one driver (6.0.9126.1) on the Lenovo site as being compatible with this laptop. Where would I find an older version, and how would I know if it was compatible?

nirawan

#5 Post by nirawan » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:56 am

I have the same thinkpad and the same problem. it seems that it is a hardware problem as the sound card cannot process duplex signals which means output and input streams at the same time.
so for me the most simple solution is to connect a phone with a recorder app to the headphone jack of the e15.
all you need to take care of then is the right signal connection of the cable (input to output).

evtate

#6 Post by evtate » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:14 pm

Thanks, nirawan, for confirming the problem, and for the suggestion. I don't know how to get audio from my E15 to my (Samsung) phone, but I'll research that.