Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Keyboard pops out on my new Thinkpad Edge

Edge / E-Series
Stanwood

Keyboard pops out on my new Thinkpad Edge

#1 Post by Stanwood » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:01 am

Hi,

My wife just received her new Thinkpad Edge (0196-26U 13" display, Intel cpu, matte black).
While not as peppy as our souped-up T61 or T400, it's a lot lighter and fits my wife's needs.

Most keys on the keyboard feel great but our model appears to have a defect. The upper right corner of the keyboard tray routinely pops out. I can click it back in but there is a noticeable bulge and with any slight flex of the body it pops back out. Also, the right-hand side of the END key is depressed relative to the rest of the keys.

I will be contacting Lenovo today to inquire about a replacement unit.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

Stanwood

Re: Keyboard pops out on my new Thinkpad Edge

#2 Post by Stanwood » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:12 pm

Brief update: Lenovo is overnighting me a replacement keyboard. Based on the Hardware Maintenenance Manual (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-74251) doing a swapout should be easy. We'll see if that does the trick.

Stanwood

#3 Post by Stanwood » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:41 pm

Received the replacement keyboard today (next day). It was an easy swap out. The original was clearly warped in the upper right corner. The replacement unit has a millimeter of give in the same corner but the frame no longer pops out with an audible "click". Not perfect but doesn't interfere with my typing.

The keyboard is attached to the frame by tabs in the front and two screws centered one-third of the way in from left and right. This keeps the bulk of the keyboard firmly in place, particularly in the middle where you press on the little eraser-head. The corners are only held down by the rigidity of the keyboard frame. So, given any mismatch with the chassis, there's bound to be some give.

C'est la vie I guess.

CORRECTION: The new keyboard is not warped but the corner still clicks out if I pick it up from there or sometimes just by closing the screen. So looks like I'll be swapping out the whole unit and hope for a better match

A31

#4 Post by A31 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:34 pm

Clearly a build problem, like you said, if you replaced the keyboard and it still keeps popping out.
Lenovo ThinkPad T440s Touch | Core i7 4600U | 12GB 1600MHz RAM | 1080p IPS Touch Display | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | 720p Webcam | 68+ 6 Cell Battery | Windows 10 Pro x64

Past: Lenovo ThinkPad L540 | IBM ThinkPad A31, R40

Stanwood

#5 Post by Stanwood » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:44 pm

Received my replacement unit on Monday (only a month after I ordered the first one :<). Wish Lenovo wouldn't take over a week to build a unit with no customizations. Anyway, the replacement unit does NOT have a problem with the keyboard popping out. So maybe I got unlucky on the first one.

Zedicus
Sophomore Member

#6 Post by Zedicus » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:24 am

i know its never fun when it happens to an individual, but when i was the IBM/Lenovo repair tech at my last job we ordered about 400 pc's a year and always had between 3% to 5% failure on brand new machines.