thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 The thinkpads support forum is now hosting legacy model ThinkPad driver and driver updates..
A link is provided in the MENUBAR just above for registered forum members only..

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:38 pm 

Hi, I just got an e220s with a solid state drive. I love how fast this thing boots. I've been searching online for clean install guides and have found some really thorough ones. However, I was wondering if anyone can tell me whether formatting/partitioning and performing a clean install with my own windows 7 home premium (same as what's on my laptop) disc will remove the "Enhanced Experience 2.0" and rapid drive tweaks. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:00 am 

Hi there
I found your post today ; since I was going to post something somewhat in the same topic _ so let me suuggest few things::

few points/suggestions to consider:
a) retain FACTORY partition ( recovery options ec)
b) Warranty issues (SSD fail often and WITHOUT NOTICE!!!)
c) As you stated - fast start ( lenovo secret sause!)

I would suggest that you retain the FACTORY installs as is..... and really take out the "EXTRA's" that often is not much help and use:
1) ALL thinkVantage items ( only think I keep = power manager) rest of ALL of them I take out!!
2) Remove ( reisntall your own) MS Products ( i even remove office reinstalled and also remove things like BING, Windows Live etc etc ) - jsut crap I dont need NOR USE!! > MS office I install my OWN dvd sicne its smaller footprint and much more faster!
3)Remove anything else - like SIMPLE TAP, REWSCUE AND RESTORE , AIRBAG protections( ssd dont need that and often Lenvo leave these on SSD drives also - weird they do that!)

Thanks once you have all the items remvoed , cleaned up , reboot and go to WINDOWS SYSTEM and CREATE A RESTORE POINT ( normal feature in windows) Than you can create and or save a RESTORE POINT on a DVD also etc etc. kEEP THAt for future restore ...I have done this to my 6+ personal thinkpads and they all worked - tested few times since I have tennagers who create havoc to laptops all the time . I have my restore on a seperate wSata hard drive ( offline always ) and restore via home network. restore and reboot and you done within 12 mins!!

Doing Fresh installs in newer Thinkpads ( I have 3 Edge E220s and one E520 for personal use by kids at home) and all of them have SSD and they SUPER FAST !! I couldnt reprocate the SAME "fast boot" when I installed FRESH WINDOWS x64 Ultimate on mine... so a Lenovo tech advised me to NOT REFORMAT .. as the 'secret sause" is lost and cannt be reinstalled ever .....

Just few things I am noting here ,,, thought might be of instrest to you....

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:20 am 

Hey ausmike,

Thanks so much for the reply! Yes the only reason I want to clean install is because there is so much thinkvantage stuff i don't need, like auto-lock, and I also want to delete the 8gb recovery partition because space on an SSD is precious.

I will take your advice and not install from my own disc because I don't want to lose Lenovo's secret sauce (apparently they have a modified boot stack or what not).

Thanks!