Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 3 black screen issue

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
klwthe3rd

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 3 black screen issue

#1 Post by klwthe3rd » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:29 am

I recently purchased a Thinkpad X1 Extreme 3rd gen(I9, 32GB single slot module, OLED screen) that when you push the power button to start the laptop, the screen stays black and you never get a picture. No logo. No BIOS menu. Nothing. The power button remains lit and i can heard the fans spinning but i never get a picture. This is what i tested:

CMOS battery was reading 3V - passed

Swapped out the RAM module(32gb) with another module - Problem persists

Moved RAM module to the 2nd slot - Problem persists

Performed the LCD self test by pushing the FN button and left control key with the power button - passed; got all 5 consecutive colored screens so LCD is good.

So basically i'm worried that this is a GPU issue on the motherboard. The laptop is powering up but the screen remains black no matter what i do. Is that a known fault for these computers? Bad GPU?? The laptop is out of warranty so i was going to reinstate the warranty for another year and hopefully get Lenovo to replace the motherboard under warranty. This model is the more rare I9 and i checked the Lenovo parts website and the motherboard is NOT AVAILABLE. So i'm really worried that my options are falling fast. Any help would be appreciated.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 3 black screen issue

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:50 am

Shine a bright flashlight at a 45-60 degree angle at the LCD, do you see anything?
If so, the backlight fuse is most likely blown.
Tried an external monitor?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

klwthe3rd

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 3 black screen issue

#3 Post by klwthe3rd » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:45 am

Yes,

I used my high intensity LED shop light do as you recommended and the screen is completely black. The issue is not the blacklight. I thought it might be a corrupted BIOS but i turned the laptop on with the back cover off and used the back of my finger to feel the PCH chip to see if it was getting hot. Usually the BIOS is working if power is then sent to the PCH chip after startup. The chip did get hot so i'm pretty sure i ruled out a corrupted BIOS. Once again I'm not sure if it's a GPU or CPU issue as to why the boot process won't take place.