Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X1 vs T420s

X1 / X1-Carbon (X1C) / X1-Extreme (X1E) Series/Generations
fjs08
Sophomore Member

Re: X1 vs T420s

#31 Post by fjs08 » Mon May 21, 2012 3:53 pm

I'm curious. As I read the posts I notice the litany of model numbers post-post, so to speak.
Do you guys use a multitude of computers for various functions, ie office, travel, home, coffee shop, etc, or ...what.???
I'm looking for one unit to do it all. Maybe I shouldn't. I have a unit the office gave me, but is fairlly locked down Maybe i should think small portable for travel-coffee shop and a larger unit for home office use. Is this what most of you do??? If so do you have trouble knowing where all your files are at. As I said, just curious.
Thx.
Frank

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#32 Post by dr_st » Tue May 22, 2012 1:55 am

Most of us are computer enthusiasts, and as such we often have quite a few computers.

But usually it is not necessary.

With that said, I do think 2 computers - a desktop and a laptop are the sweet spot.

Desktop - for performance, storage and long-term reliability (easier to fix/replace parts, easier to upgrade, usually cheaper too).

Laptop - for traveling, for taking your work with you, for going between home and office (unless the workplace issues you a company PC, then it may not be necessary to take it with you).

Which laptop - depends on your work style. If you travel a lot and do simple things while on the road, a small light machine is probably better; if you need to do serious computations or regularly work with applications requiring large screen space - a bigger machine with a higher resolution screen may be better for you.

For that purpose, pianowizard's poll about resolution vs portability can be quite informative:
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=103968

Now, in some cases it is possible to get by with one machine. For example if you never need to travel with your work, and never need a computer on the road (because you have a tablet/smartphone for those small things) - then you can get by with just a desktop or a desktop replacement laptop.

If you want to avoid the desktop, it's possible to get powerful desktop replacement machines, which can compete performance-wise and storage-wise, but they will be very big, very heavy, very expensive. Not good for portability, unless you like chugging 5 kilos with you everywhere you go (if you drive everywhere it matters less).
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

ZaZ

#33 Post by ZaZ » Tue May 22, 2012 2:21 am

I've got five PCs - three desktops and two laptops. There's my main desktop, then I've got two media servers. My X220i is my main laptop. The R60e mostly sits in the guest room, though I do bust it out when I write my reviews for the vertical resolution.
ThinkPad L14 - 2.1GHz Ryzen 4650U | 16GB | 256GB | 14" FHD | Win11P
ProBook 470 G5 - 1.6GHz Core i5 | 16GB | 2.2TB | 17" FHD | Mint

fjs08
Sophomore Member

#34 Post by fjs08 » Wed May 23, 2012 6:25 am

I'll have to save these to show my wife<g>.

I'd like to do the duel computers. I can see it working fine.
I have a notebook that I use as my desktop, but it's a bit heavy to lug around.
To me, size and weight is most important.
I have an HP from the office that is kinda locked down to just office stuff.
It's real heavy at 5.25 #.
The X1 coming out looks real nice.
Maybe one of those all in ones for my desk.
Saw a Sony L at the mall.... Looked pretty nice. Don't know if there is a good one from Lenovo.
Thx.
Frank