thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 The thinkpads support forum is now hosting legacy model ThinkPad driver and driver updates..
A link is provided in the MENUBAR just above for registered forum members only..

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: X1 vs T420s
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:53 pm 
Sophomore Member

I'm curious. As I read the posts I notice the litany of model numbers post-post, so to speak.
Do you guys use a multitude of computers for various functions, ie office, travel, home, coffee shop, etc, or ...what.???
I'm looking for one unit to do it all. Maybe I shouldn't. I have a unit the office gave me, but is fairlly locked down Maybe i should think small portable for travel-coffee shop and a larger unit for home office use. Is this what most of you do??? If so do you have trouble knowing where all your files are at. As I said, just curious.
Thx.
Frank

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:55 am 
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Most of us are computer enthusiasts, and as such we often have quite a few computers.

But usually it is not necessary.

With that said, I do think 2 computers - a desktop and a laptop are the sweet spot.

Desktop - for performance, storage and long-term reliability (easier to fix/replace parts, easier to upgrade, usually cheaper too).

Laptop - for traveling, for taking your work with you, for going between home and office (unless the workplace issues you a company PC, then it may not be necessary to take it with you).

Which laptop - depends on your work style. If you travel a lot and do simple things while on the road, a small light machine is probably better; if you need to do serious computations or regularly work with applications requiring large screen space - a bigger machine with a higher resolution screen may be better for you.

For that purpose, pianowizard's poll about resolution vs portability can be quite informative:
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=103968

Now, in some cases it is possible to get by with one machine. For example if you never need to travel with your work, and never need a computer on the road (because you have a tablet/smartphone for those small things) - then you can get by with just a desktop or a desktop replacement laptop.

If you want to avoid the desktop, it's possible to get powerful desktop replacement machines, which can compete performance-wise and storage-wise, but they will be very big, very heavy, very expensive. Not good for portability, unless you like chugging 5 kilos with you everywhere you go (if you drive everywhere it matters less).

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:21 am 

I've got five PCs - three desktops and two laptops. There's my main desktop, then I've got two media servers. My X220i is my main laptop. The R60e mostly sits in the guest room, though I do bust it out when I write my reviews for the vertical resolution.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:25 am 
Sophomore Member

I'll have to save these to show my wife<g>.

I'd like to do the duel computers. I can see it working fine.
I have a notebook that I use as my desktop, but it's a bit heavy to lug around.
To me, size and weight is most important.
I have an HP from the office that is kinda locked down to just office stuff.
It's real heavy at 5.25 #.
The X1 coming out looks real nice.
Maybe one of those all in ones for my desk.
Saw a Sony L at the mall.... Looked pretty nice. Don't know if there is a good one from Lenovo.
Thx.
Frank