Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

ThinkPad Tablet first impressions

ThinkPad/Ideapad Slate Tablet, Tablet 2, Miix etc.
fuscob

ThinkPad Tablet first impressions

#1 Post by fuscob » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:11 am

So I've had the tablet for two days now, and here are some of my initial impressions:
  • Build quality is excellent; just what you would expect of a tablet bearing the ThinkPad name. Unboxing it was just like unboxing a new ThinkPad; the packaging is identical, and the tablet itself even has the same MT-M/serial number sticker found on the bottom of ThinkPads. The hardware is very good overall; the screen, as expected of an IPS unit, is quite nice and the Gorilla Glass makes you feel confident to just toss it in a bag without worrying about scratches.
  • Performance is very good overall; it's certainly much better than my other tablet, an HP TouchPad. I haven't yet encountered any situation where the tablet lags or slows down. The only complaint that I have is that when I wake up the tablet from sleep, there is some delay before the lock screen responds. For example, if I power it on and immediately try to swipe the lock "circle," it sometimes gets stuck and I have to give it a second swipe. If I wait a second or two after powering it on, this problem does not occur. Perhaps this could be fixed in a software update.
  • The USB port is well-implemented. I have tried several flash drives, of course, but what I found most impressive is that I was able to connect a USB hub and use both a USB keyboard and mouse simultaneously throughout the OS. When a mouse is connected, a cursor appears; a click is equivalent to a tap on the touchscreen. I was also able to pair a Dell Bluetooth mouse with the device and use that. The device even accepts some key combinations (e.g. in the browser, you can use Ctrl-T; in a Remote Desktop client, all of the keys, including the Windows flag key, work fine). Impressive!
  • The hardware buttons are a nice addition and work well. They're not too easy to press by accident, which is nice.
  • I tried the HDMI briefly (connected to a Dell U2410 monitor); the output of the tablet is mirrored at native resolution (1280x800), which of course did not look great on the bigger screen with a native resolution of 1920x1200. I'm not sure if there is a way to change the output resolution.
  • This is relatively unimportant to me, but the single built-in speaker is pretty weak. By comparison, my HP TouchPad has much better sound. Of course, you can use headphones with the device.
  • Most of the software that Lenovo pre-installed on the tablet is thankfully removable. The first thing I did was uninstall the McAfee software.
If I think of anything else, I'll add it - if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

wolfindersteppe

Re: ThinkPad Tablet first impressions

#2 Post by wolfindersteppe » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:36 am

fuscob wrote:So I've had the tablet for two days now, and here are some of my initial impressions:
If I think of anything else, I'll add it - if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
The only reason I could be jealous to you guys living in the USA is that you are always the first to get your fingers on those gadgets :oops:

SafeHarbor
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by SafeHarbor » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:36 pm

fuscob wrote:So I've had the tablet for two days now, and here are some of my initial impressions:
Thanks very much for this report. I trust what I learn in this forum a lot more than what I read on websites.

By the way, when coming out of hibernation, my 2.2 Froyo tablet puts "Preparing the SD Card" in notifications. It did this even before I inserted an SD card, so it appears that it is referring to the internal memory rather than the external card. It takes about three to five seconds for the operation to complete and before it can accept input, including the slide to unlock. (I even consider this kind of lucky because some tablets of this generation are notorious for locking up when coming out of hibernation.)

The news is out today about the $850/$700 HTC 4G tablet for AT&T. Looking at it, I kept wondering "And this is better than the ThinkPad how?"
W550s touch, T61p, R52, gone but not forgotten T40

anabol

#4 Post by anabol » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:37 pm

fuscob wrote:This is relatively unimportant to me, but the single built-in speaker is pretty weak.
how weak is it?is watching movies alone in a quite room comfortable?

anabol

#5 Post by anabol » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:05 pm

also wondering if you can charge the device from USB port on your PC?is the cable included?

bill bolton
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by bill bolton » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:01 pm

anabol wrote:also wondering if you can charge the device from USB port on your PC?
Its my understanding that its not intended to be able to charge from a USB data port on another device.

Cheers,

Bill B.

Volker

#7 Post by Volker » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:13 am

The tablet charges from a normal usb data port, but not very fast. You better switch the screen off, too...

fuscob

#8 Post by fuscob » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:47 pm

anabol wrote:how weak is it?is watching movies alone in a quite room comfortable?
In that situation it would probably be acceptable, but it's still just a single speaker, which I wouldn't really enjoy watching movies on - I would definitely use headphones.

Bill is correct about the charger - while it will charge from a USB port on a PC or notebook, it does so very slowly due to the power delivery of such a port (usually around 5V at 500mA). The included wall charger provides 5.35V at 2A.

Shofar

#9 Post by Shofar » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:39 am

Has anyone else gotten the Tablet?

How about a little more detailed review?

Is it a "buy" or not.

Does anyone know if it is for sale in a "bricks and mortar" store in NYC??

Leaving the country soon, want one but CDW was impossible to deal with .

Thanks,

Shofar

SafeHarbor
Sophomore Member

#10 Post by SafeHarbor » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:19 pm

Does it have a "3G" icon or can you find a network setting for USB cellular modems? On my dual book, it's under Settings - Network Settings - Mobile Broadband Settings.

On a side note, Lenovo announced their 7" model today. It's an IdeaPad rather than a ThinkPad, but at $199 it takes the wind out of the sails of the little 7" MSI. The Lenovo has a higher resolution screen and bigger capacity battery. We might see these in places like Walmart, Target, Kmart, etc.

On edit, I thought one of the unboxing videos showed them using a 65-watt Thinkpad power adapter with it. That's more than 5.5V.
W550s touch, T61p, R52, gone but not forgotten T40

Silver_Seagull

#11 Post by Silver_Seagull » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:40 pm

So exciting for you to have your tablet already!

I am really looking hard at the ThinkPad Tablet, but I have read on a few review sites that at certain angles there is a sort of "grid" pattern visible under the glass at certain angles. Have you noticed this?

Also, I would love to hear your criticisms of the device! I know no device is perfect, but a list of real-world usage "urgh" moments would really help me (and others) make an informed decision. My problem is that I am living in South Korea, so I don't have any options when it comes to "return policy" ... so anything that I might hate I have to ask you! :P

Looking forward to hearing more about the device (once you can tear yourself away from it..)

jonLumpkin

#12 Post by jonLumpkin » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:56 am

I think mine is great so far.

Buy it from ProVantage. They are easy to deal with, inexpensive, and offer overnight shipping!

Shofar

#13 Post by Shofar » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:58 pm

Have taken your advice and ordered from Provantege jonLumpkin.

As it is Sat. and Labor day weekend I won't know until Tues if it will ship.

Must have by Friday as traveling.

TonyK

#14 Post by TonyK » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:10 am

JonLumpkin did you get the stylus pen from provantage too? I ordered the tablet on Thursday and it should be here Wednesday but I couldn't find the correct pen? Thanks!

jonLumpkin

#15 Post by jonLumpkin » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:40 am

The 32 gb model that I ordered from Provantage included the pen. I believe all of the preconfigured models except for some of the 16s include the pen.

I still haven't located a source for the keyboard folio yet though.

Shofar

#16 Post by Shofar » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:07 pm

Shofar wrote:Have taken your advice and ordered from Provantege jonLumpkin.

As it is Sat. and Labor day weekend I won't know until Tues if it will ship.

Must have by Friday as traveling.
Provantage uses unclean business practices.

Ordered on Sat. - 6 units available.
On Monday (labor day) units go down to 4.
On Tues my order is canceled as I demanded shipping by Tues and delivery on Wed.

Answer: backordered and not shipment till next weel.

Amazon may be slow in getting the units but when they promised next day deliverey they do it.

No more provantage for me.

wolfindersteppe

#17 Post by wolfindersteppe » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:53 am

Joined the ThinkPad Tablet owners club yesterday, here my first impressions:
  • On switching on and in cases of dark screen, there is a diffuse light spreading out in two streams coming from the screen edge, middle upper area on the site with the on/off button. I have already raised the case with Lenovo support (somehow not lucky with Lenovo until now - first W520 frequently simply shutting down, now this).
  • I can confirm that there is a 2-3 second delay on the logon screen until it reacts. Have switched to pin entry, first trials are satisfactory, no noticeable lags.
  • The screen with brightness set to auto is somehow muddy, not so sharp with brilliant and vivid colors like galaxy tab 10.1 but this I was somehow expecting, due to N-Trig layer and can live with it;
  • The Gorilla glass looks and feels rock solid. I have seen in the forums around the people are intending to apply the screen protector, I do not know if that is necessary.
  • I have to touch on the screen a little bit more firmly then on galaxy tab 10.1 in order to call the desired action;
  • Screen auto-rotation is laggy, symptomatic for Android 3.1, galaxy tab 10.1 solved it much better;
  • Auto-Rotation is very "nervous", frequently switching in undesired opposite direction if the tablet is just being held slightly slant;
  • Screen auto-rotation is also very sharp, almost "brutal" for me, not smooth - actually, if it works, it takes the same amount of time as iPad but ThinkPad Tablet and all Androids 3.x are missing that smooth, animated transition. IMO once this is solved, there would be no ammunition for Apple funboys against "differently minded".
  • In order to install Lenovo apps I had to go to Settings->Applications->Unknown sources (sic!, Lenovo is "unknown" to itself) and to enable it. I was a software tester for years and this really should not to be...
  • GPS icon in the status bar was nerving - despite switching off in Settings->Location&Security->Use GPS satellites, the icon was permanently blinking, by tapping is telling me "Searching for GPS". Had to switch on and off several times GPS + WiFI + 3G to get rid of the blinking icon and message.
  • I was just testing the GPS for 30 minutes outside and gave up. Galaxy Tab 10.1 is working OOTB, ThinkPad Tablet not, with the same SIM card, WiFi on and off.
  • SIM card is working in Tablet, simply put in the slot, switched on, logged and could surf immediately.
  • I am missing a simple option to switch on and off the 3G. Instead, have to go to Settings->Wireless & networks and to enable Airplane mode.[EDIT] user error, the settings is easy accessible tapping on clock symbol in system bar and expanding it...
  • I like to pen for the navigation, somehow I work and think better if I have something in my hands and the pen is good for it;
  • Notes Mobile - well, it is on time to learn to write nicely . As long the handwriting is nice and consistent in form and flow, the accuracy rate is impressive, even in German. Pen is press-sensitive, nice for sketching. But it is not paper, I have to adapt to this surface, well it is as it is. This functionalities I really like and do not want to miss them anymore. Somehow I am missing the possibility to export the content of the whole notebook, I managed to export only the single page.
  • I am missing Cisco AnyConnect! The US Lenovo site http://shop.lenovo.com/us/products/tabl ... oadedappsa, under Features-> tab Business Enabled, is explicit referring to Cisco AnyConnect. Can anybody with US Tablet version check if there is Cisco AnyConect app preinstalled?
  • I really find unfair that Lenovo is still pricing that Tablet is coming preloaded with 25+ free apps but it turns out that f.e. McAfee is only trial. On the German sites here in EU, Lenovo is literally stating "APP LIST More than 25 popular apps and other apps that usually costs extra, are already preinstalled on your device." Then further down is McAfee referenced, but not a single word that this application is trial only and is so not free. Link is here http://shop.lenovo.com/atind/at/de/lear ... ad-tablet/. I do not mind paying for value. I just want to bring to Lenovo's attention that I was total under impression I will get f.e McAfee already included in the price, no extra cost for me...

elray
Sophomore Member

#18 Post by elray » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:20 pm

wolfindersteppe wrote: The only reason I could be jealous to you guys living in the USA is that you are always the first to get your fingers on those gadgets :oops:
Not quite. We still don't have the X121e, and we never got the Ideapad S10-3s, the S9, or the Mini 10.

And virtually nothing innovative is ever sold retail here, only the clunker models - we have to order and take our chances.
Those of us in California get to pay double and triple taxes as well.
T430 Windows 10

TonyK

#19 Post by TonyK » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:36 pm

Is anybody else having problems with websites not displaying properly? Some of the websites I need for school wont let me scroll through them. So I will be looking at a syllabus online and it will only show me whatever fits on the screen and I can't scroll down? I tried a couple different browsers as well as switched the tablet browser into desktop mode but that didn't help at all. The websites work fine on other computers and my ipad! Also is anyone else's autorotate button not working?? Mine was working for a while but not anymore! I can't figure out what it is!

As for what I think of this tablet I think it's pretty good! Other than the little lag issues that others have mentioned I find it a very well built tablet! Lenovo did a nice job! Honeycomb could use some improvements but that's another story and not related to Lenovo!

jonLumpkin

#20 Post by jonLumpkin » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:29 am

wolfindersteppe wrote:
  • GPS icon in the status bar was nerving - despite switching off in Settings->Location&Security->Use GPS satellites, the icon was permanently blinking, by tapping is telling me "Searching for GPS". Had to switch on and off several times GPS + WiFI + 3G to get rid of the blinking icon and message.
  • I was just testing the GPS for 30 minutes outside and gave up. Galaxy Tab 10.1 is working OOTB, ThinkPad Tablet not, with the same SIM card, WiFi on and off.
  • SIM card is working in Tablet, simply put in the slot, switched on, logged and could surf immediately.
  • I am missing a simple option to switch on and off the 3G. Instead, have to go to Settings->Wireless & networks and to enable Airplane mode.[EDIT] user error, the settings is easy accessible tapping on clock symbol in system bar and expanding it...
[/list]
Questions about the 3G and GPS. I ordered a 32GB model that should not have 3G hardware (1838-25U). However, part of my impressions so far lead me to believe that it does.

I have had some issues with battery drain so far. When I opened up the battery drain details a large portion (over 30%) was due to the cell (3G) radio??? I have not yet placed a SIM card into this tablet. Is there any way (e.g. an android equivalent of device manager) that will allow me to verify the hardware in my tablet without physically cracking it open? I am travelling to India in a few weeks and would like to have 3G service there if I can.

Which model did you buy to get 3G service? The lenovo website does not currently offer a 3G model and none of the topsellers in the tabook have it either. Did you just get a stock model, special order a 3G model, or did you install 3G hardware yourself after market?

Also, I have not been able to acheive a GPS lock with my tablet yet. Granted I have only tried it in a car (sitting on the dashboard) rather than walking around, but a signal was never found. Have other people had luck with this? If so, what did you need to do and how long did it take to acquire a signal? Have you found that the tablet is a reliable device for in car navigation (I already have a Garmin for this purpose)?

Planemaker

#21 Post by Planemaker » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:04 pm

Not sure if this process will fix the accuracy of those who are having problems but, it did for. Before I did the fix I could not get a lock on any satellites. Immediately after the fix the Thinkpad located 5 satellites and locked onto them in about 10 minutes. Last time I looked I was locked onto 10 satellites.

FYI - I used Google Maps and navigated to my golf course and then compared yardage using Skydroid with my partners golf only GPS and we were spot on in yardage.

I download and installed:
GPS Status
GPSFix

Start GPS Status
Click on tools and select Manage A-GPS state
Click Reset
Click Download

Turn GPS off from settings
Shutdown Thinkpad
Restart Thinkpad

Start GPSfix
make sure Fix now is selected

I sat the unit on my deck for about 10 minutes and I was done.

Not sure if any or all of these steps helped but, since not having an accurate GPS was show stopped I am very pleased.

Since I did this process I have locked on to enough satellites to get a fix on my location within 3 minutes

underclocker

#22 Post by underclocker » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:50 pm

jonLumpkin wrote:Questions about the 3G and GPS. I ordered a 32GB model that should not have 3G hardware (1838-25U). However, part of my impressions so far lead me to believe that it does.

I have had some issues with battery drain so far. When I opened up the battery drain details a large portion (over 30%) was due to the cell (3G) radio??? I have not yet placed a SIM card into this tablet. Is there any way (e.g. an android equivalent of device manager) that will allow me to verify the hardware in my tablet without physically cracking it open? I am travelling to India in a few weeks and would like to have 3G service there if I can.

Which model did you buy to get 3G service? The lenovo website does not currently offer a 3G model and none of the topsellers in the tabook have it either. Did you just get a stock model, special order a 3G model, or did you install 3G hardware yourself after market?
I picked up the same model, 1838-25U. I also noticed that 3G was showing up under the settings and using the battery. However, after applying the two available updates, all references to 3G are gone.

I've read elsewhere that all models can be upgraded with the Gobi 3000 adapter (and others), meaning that there is an available PCI express slot and WWAN antennas under the lid. The HMM does confirm this. I also saw a post from someone that did the upgrade. It is apparently recognized and ready to go after a reboot.

I must say, it is an impressive tablet. I also have the iPad 1st generation and it compares quite favorably. The obvious bonuses with the ThinkPad are the pen, bigger (and also beautiful) display, two cameras and extra ports/slots.

I'd say that navigation is nearly as smooth as with the iPad, especially after the software updates.
T510, i7-620m, NVidia, HD+, 8GB, 512GB Intel 545s SSD, Webcam, BT, FPR Home
T400s, C2D SP9400, Intel 4500MHD, WXGA+, 8GB, 160GB Intel X18-M G2 SSD, Webcam, BT, FPR Travel
Edge 14 i5-540m, Intel HD Graphics, HD, 8GB, 180GB Intel Pro 1500 SSD, Webcam, BT, red cover Music

kadnium

#23 Post by kadnium » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:28 am

I am thinking about getting the lenovo thinkpad tablet. One of my requirements is to use it for its GPS capabilities. The specs say its Assisted-GPS.
Questions:
1. Does that mean that the GPS feature will function only if I am on a 3g network and/or Wifi?
2. Does it fall back to unassisted GPS so that it can function as a standalone GPS unit without 3g or Wifi (assuming you have a GPS application with maps)?
3. Can someone who has a unit confirm the GPS feature is working without a SIM card and without a WiFi connection, please?

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#24 Post by BillMorrow » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:36 am

kadnium wrote:I am thinking about getting the lenovo thinkpad tablet. One of my requirements is to use it for its GPS capabilities. The specs say its Assisted-GPS.
Questions:
1. Does that mean that the GPS feature will function only if I am on a 3g network and/or Wifi?
2. Does it fall back to unassisted GPS so that it can function as a standalone GPS unit without 3g or Wifi (assuming you have a GPS application with maps)?
3. Can someone who has a unit confirm the GPS feature is working without a SIM card and without a WiFi connection, please?
1. AFAIK no..
2. you will get two choices.. one for a rough location using the wifi connection and its geolocation.. the other is as exact gps location..
3. so far it appears so..
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~