thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
System backups occur about 7:00 am EDT and last about 10 minutes. This will slow performance. RSS feeds have been added to the forum.
Donate if you wish to:
bill at thinkpads dot com

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:58 am 
Admin
Admin

The forum is being moved to a new hosting service. A snapshot of the forum is or will be taken in a short time so if you posted anything here IT WILL NOT MAKE IT TO THE NEW SERVER! Because the new server will have a different IP address, the new IP will take some time to propagate through all of the DNS servers on the net. Please follow the advice given by RealBlackStuff in another thread by clearing your computer's DNS cache. This procedure is repeated below. We thank you for your patience during this move and we'll see you on the other side :) .

To clear your computer's DNS cache:

(Assuming you are running Windows)

Click on the Start button
Click the Run option (XP)
or type this in the Command /Search box (Vista/W7)

cmd

This will launch a DOS window. You know, that black and white space where people used to deal with their computers back in the Stone Age by typing obtuse commands. Type in the following obtuse command:

ipconfig /flushdns

This will clear ("flush") the DNS (Domain Name System) entries that your computer has cached. The DNS servers takes the "forum.thinkpads.com" you type in a browser and converts it to an IP address (67.214.227.38). Your computer will then remember (cache) the IP so any future request from the same site will be done quicker. In this case, since you are reading this post, your computer has been directed to the server that been running (or more appropriately, NOT running) the forum. The new server that will be hosting the forum has already been assigned its IP address and that information is now speeding out among the interweb's DNS servers. It can take up to 48 hours for ALL of the DNS servers to get the new address. By clearing your browser's DNS cache, the next time you request a page from forum.thinkpads.com, your computer will not find it in the cache and will be forced to ask your ISP's DNS servers for the IP. If it has been updated, you'll get to the new server where you will see a short note from Bill that explains that the forum is moving. If you get back here, then your ISP's DNS servers have not gotten the new IP so you'll have to wait for a little bit longer (and do the ipconfig /flushdns thing again).

Update:

Since I'm typing this on my iPad, here are some suggestions on how to clear the DNS cache on an iPad, and by extension, probably an iPhone as well:

http://www.ipadastic.com/tutorials/how- ... n-the-ipad

I would start out by turning on airplane mode, then try a power-off. Resetting network connections should be done as a last resort as that will cause you to lose ALL network settings (SSID, passwords, etc.). At the moment I can't verify that these instructions will work as the DNS server I use (OpenDNS) apparently still has not got the new IP.

Which leads me to this piece of advice... If you are running Windows, launch a DOS window (per the instructions above), and type in another command:

ping forum.thinkpads.com

If you see replies from 67.214.227.38, then your DNS server still has the old IP (this one you're reading now). On the other hand, if you see responses from 192.163.238.183, then you are accessing the new server.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:36 pm 
Admin
Admin

Sat. 1/11 12:20 PST

I have just noticed that a member is currently composing a PM. IF THE RECEPIENT HAS ALREADY UPDATED THEIR COMPUTER TO ACCESS THE NEW SERVER, THEY WILL NOT SEE THE MESSAGE THERE! The backup was performed about 12 hours ago so if Bill restores that copy, THE PM WILL NOT BE COPIED TO THE NEW SERVER. At the moment I do not know if Bill will be taking another backup before the new server is up and running. Bill said that he will post details on how to get back to this version of the forum on the new server so your message(s) will not be lost as long as this old server remains online. I will also provide that information below.

How to get to this version of the forum:

http://67.214.227.38/~thinkpad/forum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:24 pm 
Admin
Admin

I have also just disabled new registrations. There were a couple of new members signed up since the backup was taken so I will be contacting them via email to let them know they will probably have to re-register at the new forum. Here is what I have just sent them via email:

Hello,

Thank you for your recent registration at forum.thinkpads.com. Unfortunately, the forum is in the middle of relocating to a new web server. As a result, entering "forum.thinkpads.com" into your browser may lead you to the "old" forum (where you registered today) or to the "new" forum, which is not yet online. Since your registration occurred after a forum backup was taken and before we had closed the forum to new registrations, it MAY be necessary to re-register at the new site once it's up and running. I will let you know in a follow-on email if this is needed.

In the meantime, you should access the "old" forum using the following address:

http://67.214.227.38/~thinkpad/forum/

Due to the time it takes for the new IP address to propagate across the web's DNS servers, this will be the only way to guarantee that you reach the "old" forum. Please note the following restrictions:

- you will be able to read all of the posts, but posting has been suspended
- you can send Private Messages (PM) but there is no guarantee that the receipient will be able to read it right away
- those PMs will probably NOT be copied over onto the new forum. This depends on whether or not another forum backup is taken.
- the old forum should remain accessible for the next month or so but access is also not guaranteed as the reason for the forum's move is due to the intermittent connectivity we have been experiencing for the last several months.

In any event, we appreciate your understanding and patience in this matter and we are working to get the forum back up as soon as possible.

------------
Ray Kawakami
site admin rkawakami at forum.thinkpads.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:53 am 
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

moving the forum is tricky so please bear with us and when completed you will be pleased, i hope, with the reliability and consistent speed..

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:44 am 
RBS10000
RBS10000

Just to let you all know that I'm really excited at the speed of the new forum-host!
Stay tuned!

Check out The Board Room for:
- LED-mods for the 15" T60/R60/R61
- SATA-mods for any T43/R52 with ATI GPU
- other Services

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:30 pm 
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

WE ARE BACK.. finally, with a new host and dedicated server, thinkpads.com is here to help thinkpad owners with those pesky little hidden "gotcha's" that seem to get us all..

faster and more reliable than a speeding bullet.. :)

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:23 pm 
Admin
Admin

Welcome back! The forum is now back online with the new server! All forums should now be unlocked and ready for posting. New user registrations has also been enabled.

The only glitch that might come up is if you sent any Private Message (PM) when accessing the old forum. If it was sent after Sunday January 12th at 6:36PM PST, then it would not have been copied with the database backup onto this new server. As long as the old forum is accessible (no guarantees there), the message will still be there.

If you think there's a bug/problem with this version of the forum, please post here: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=112798

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:20 pm 
Admin
Admin

Good job, guys!

Jane

I'm on Twitter

I do NOT respond to PM or e-mail requests for personal tech support.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]