thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 The thinkpads support forum is now hosting legacy model ThinkPad driver and driver updates..
A link is provided in the MENUBAR just above for registered forum members only..

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:06 pm 
Sophomore Member

I'm planning on installing Windows 8 permanently on my X220 Tablet.
So, the plan is to actually learn it stick with it until the official release, then just upgrade.
Since this is not going to be a temporary install, I want to know what works and what doesn't work. Has anyone gotten all the drivers to work including fingerprint?
Any BSOD of any kind, does office and basic adobe software work?
Is the consumer preview actually useable on a permanent basis?
Anyone with first hand experience would be a great help.
Does Microsoft force the O.S to send back user reports?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:12 pm 
Admin
Admin

Kaze22 wrote:
Is the consumer preview actually useable on a permanent basis?

IMO, no.

If you really want to go down that path, you should plan on backing up your system every day.

Cheers,

Bill B.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:27 pm 
Sophomore Member

Tried it, got the BSOD now no longer blue, but a light milange.
After too attempts at getting the fingerprint to work, I could no longer bootup.
I'm through with Win 8. Its way too unstable. And who can use a Thnkpad with no fi gerprint.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:13 am 

I've been using Windows 8 Consumer Preview x64 on my personal X201t. My X201t has 8 gb of ram and I used an extra 320 gb hard drive to install the operating system.

I love it and won't go back. So far it has been 100% rock solid with no BSOD. That's using it every day since February 29th.

This Microsoft site has been very helpful in finding out if the software I use will work on Windows 8 Consumer Preview:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ ... enter/Home

Windows 8 Consumer Preview overcame one problem I had on my Windows 7 Professional x64 installation. I had a problem with the wireless card disconnecting and reconnecting frequently. The problem began about 6 months ago and seemed to be related to a driver upgrade. Either it has completely gone away under Windows 8 CP or the new driver doesn't report the problem. I think it has gone away.

I had been using Windows 8 Developer Preview on a spare machine from September to February, but it was much too flakey to use on my everyday machine. This is not the case with Windows 8 Consumer Preview. I would buy Windows 8 Consumer Preview today if Microsoft sold it.

I haven't tried the fingerprint reader. I'll do that today and report back.

The camera works fine. The DVD in the base works fine. Office 2010 works fine. My accounting software (Acclivity Accountedge) works fine. I sue VLC for a movie DVD player and that works fine. All my plug-ins for Nikon NEF raw files works fine. Skype works fine. Windows Messenger works fine. Touch accuracy on the X201t is better with Windows 8 than in Windows 7. Touch is better with Windows 8 than with Lenovo SimpleTap. Zune software to link my laptop with a Windows 7 Phone (HTC Titan) works fine. All my print drivers work fine for my HP LaserJet networked printers. Norton pcAnywhere works fine.

I have avoided installing ThinkVantage software so far but I might start giving that a try.

I use Paul Thurrott's http://www.winsupersite.com for help in learning tricks and solving problems and that works fine.

Having said all that, I spend most of my time in the traditional Windows 7 - 8 desktop and not too much time in the Metro interface. The only application that I found in the Metro world that beats anything I use regularly in the traditional desktop world is the Metro Kindle app. This has a much nicer book presentation than Kindle for PC. The Calendar app is not as good as Office Outlook. The Mail app does not connect to POP or IMAP accounts. But Office Outlook 2010 works fine under Windows 8.

I like logging onto the machine with my Windows Live logon and then automatically I am logged onto my hotmail account, my Skydrive account and my Windows Live Mesh account.

No complaints. I'm not going back. I'm currently trying to decide if I want to buy an X220T now for my next laptop and run with Windows 8, or whether I want to wait for Lenovo to sell a new laptop with Ivy Bridge and Windows 8 pre-installed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:28 am 

I am now 11 days into Windows 8 Release Preview x64 on my X201T.
It is better than Windows 8 Consumer Preview for both compatibility and stability and I plan to use it every day until I buy my X230T probably in the fall but maybe sooner.
I've gotten several programs that didn't work on CP to work on RP including Symantec PCAnywhere, an ebook reader called iOffline. It took me a while, but I finally got Acclivity AccountEdge Pro to run using Windows 98 / ME compatibility.

I haven't yet gotten Lenovo Active Protection System to work, and as a result, the laptop doesn't sense position changes from horizontal to vertical.

This is my personal every day all day computer, but I have a couple special purpose laptops at work.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:03 am 

Just wondering if anyone tried Win8 (release review version) on X220T with any SSD?
( i have it also with normal HD - on 7mm version)

Seems lots of App vendors would have MAJOR MODS/UPDATES to do ..... as WIN8 X64 is more like "OPEN LINUX" as a TRUE x64 bit OS. HATE the 'user-interface' - obvious its built for 'touch screen' to compete with APPLE IPAD and ANDRIOD TABLETS.

@Barry- yip i been fiddling also with various apps via my X220T- outdoor version
I could get my LOTUS NOTES (email) to run but some of the others - most seems to run on Xp16bit or WinME etc. I am not sure i like my apps running in '2 steps backward' .....its like driving a sports car in 1st gear at 20mph ...

I also have had the ASUS "tabletPC" (see Sig) that runs win7x64 nicely ....and not sure I want to be messing with Win8 On that for now .... but did get this SHINEY NEW x230T ... so might make that my Win8 playing machine as it has factory SSD