Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Lenovo Settings (Metro) app (Windows 8)

Windows 8 on ThinkPads
Classic600X

Lenovo Settings (Metro) app (Windows 8)

#1 Post by Classic600X » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:01 am

Dear All,

See the post below from the Lenovo support forums. Does anyone know why exactly ThinkPad users upgrading to W8 can't download the Lenovo Settings Windows 8 (Metro) app? Is there any way around this?

"To any ThinkPad customer who is considering upgrading from Win7 to Win8, I want to let you know that the following Windows 7 software does not exist for Windows 8:

1. Access Connections

2. Power Manager

3. Rescue and Recovery

4. Communications Utility

If you rely on any of the above software, then you may want to consider whether upgrading from Win7 to Win8 makes sense for you. With a few exceptions, all of the functions of the above apps are replaced by native features of Win8. Other functions are replaced by Lenovo-specific Metro Windows Store applications, but due to how the Windows store is implemented, these apps are not available to Win7->Win8 upgrade customers. We are currently investigating the possibility to make the Metro Windows Store applications available to all customers, but nothing has been finalized as of now. "

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-8/T ... d-p/899865

bill bolton
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Lenovo Settings (Metro) app (Windows 8)

#2 Post by bill bolton » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:19 am

Classic600X wrote:Does anyone know why ThinkPad users upgrading to W8 can't download the Lenovo Settings Windows 8 (Metro) app?
Its a Microsoft issue that has only very recently become apparent with the way they have designed the Apps store and the associated Win 8 eco-system.

It appears that it well may impact the pre-Win 8 release hardware products of many commercial system vendors, and is not specifically associated with Lenovo.

More will probably become apparent after Win 8 goes into General Availablity.

Cheers,

Bill B.

Classic600X

#3 Post by Classic600X » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:40 am

Thanks Bill. I really do hope they can resolve this ASAP, as you say there must be many OEMs that have been shipping W7 hardware which included a W8 upgrade (some of which like Lenovo may have new Metro apps).

I have been running W8 Pro RTM on my X220 for a couple of months now. I've been using a combination of the W8 beta drivers and the W7 Power Manager + Driver, Hotkey features integration and Communications Utility which all seem to work without major issue on W8.

I just wanted to do a fresh install now with all the recently released non-beta W8 drivers and utils.

barrywohl

#4 Post by barrywohl » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:41 am

Will we still be able to manually download and run Windows 7 Lenovo applications like Access Connections?

I would think so.

What about the ThinkVantage Sysem Update for Windows 8? Will we be able to download the desktop version of that for Windows 8?

I've been running Windows 8 RP on my X230T and I have everything working except my Sierra Wireless Broadband Wireless card. After some problems, I decided to wait for the RTM version of Windows Pro 8 to make it work.
First Thinkpad 755CX in 1995. First IBM: PC 1982 8088 w 64K RAM, dual floppy. Currently in use:
X230T with Win8Pro x64, i7, 500gb ssd; W700 WUXGA RAID 1 Blu-Ray W7Pro x64, occasionally a T61p with Win7Pro x64