Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad T430s : Backlight issue

T430-T490, T530-T590 Series
redm0nk

Thinkpad T430s : Backlight issue

#1 Post by redm0nk » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:54 pm

Hello Guys,
I have a Thinkpad T430s series laptop and I am trying to replace the lcd screen. I think I have blown up a fuse or something because I saw a little smoke/spark which came out at the connection. I did a big mistake by replacing lcd while battery was connected (the laptop was off at that moment).
Now, I have the backlight problem where very faint visuals can be seen on the LCD. So, my question is how should I go about fixing this issue?

Any help is appreciated.
PS: the external display monitor works just fine, it is just the display on the laptop which is very dim.

systemBuilder
Sophomore Member

Re: Thinkpad T430s : Backlight issue

#2 Post by systemBuilder » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:32 pm

I think his question was answered on another forum, but I will copy the information into this thread:

(1) Never work on this laptop without removing the battery first. The backlight fuse is very easy to blow if you are connecting or disconnecting the LCD with the battery installed.

(2) Here is a photo of the backlight fuse. In the photo, somebody has replaced the it with a soldered wire-jumper, which is not recommended, you should rather get a 3A fuse at radio shack and do the replacement correctly, otherwise you are likely to blow other circuitry later in the life of the laptop.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6174o ... lJTjQ/edit
=======================
Lots of thinkpads (10+) but I would never be so stupid as to list them all because that would spam everybody's searches and people who *do* try to list them all would be jerks.

redm0nk

#3 Post by redm0nk » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:01 pm

@systemBuilder Thanks for taking the time to answer my old question.
However, I was able to replace the fuse successfully. And Yes, Please disconnect your battery first before operating the laptop. I learned it the hard way :banghead:

kstrid

#4 Post by kstrid » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:34 pm

I have some difficulties in locating the backlight fuse. Is the picture showing T430s?

qbo

#5 Post by qbo » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:08 am

redm0nk wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:01 pm
However, I was able to replace the fuse successfully. And Yes, Please disconnect your battery first before operating the laptop. I learned it the hard way :banghead:
I have the same problem and I can't identify where on the motherboard the fuse is located.
kstrid wrote:

I have some difficulties in locating the backlight fuse. Is the picture showing T430s?
Did you manage to identify the fuse ? The link is down.

nachetb
Freshman Member

#6 Post by nachetb » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:36 am

redm0nk wrote:
What exactly did you do to fix it?

qbo

#7 Post by qbo » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:36 am

nachetb wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:36 am
redm0nk wrote:
What exactly did you do to fix it?
I have not solved the problem, as changing the blown fuse would have cost me much more expensive equipment.