Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

WWAN not working -- any ideas?

X230-X280, X390 Series
dtowsey

WWAN not working -- any ideas?

#1 Post by dtowsey » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:45 pm

Here's a very strange problem with my new (and lovely) X230

Got it with Ultimate-N 6300 (works perfectly) and Ericsson H5321 gw mobile broadband. I popped in a Three (UK) SIM card, and switched to broadband. Access Connections recognises the Three transmitter and tries to connect, but try as it might it won't connect (gives a 043 service provider not recognised error).

But if I boot via a Ubuntu Live USB it immediately recognises the mobile broadband with the same SIM, runs the wizard and connects with no trouble at all, so it can't be a hardware problem. I've tried removing and reinstalling Access Connections as well as the Ericsson driver, but to no avail. I confess with the plethora of drivers I may not have managed to spot everything, but wondered if anyone could suggest anything systematic I could do to get it all up and running in Windows.

Update -- I've now solved this problem myself:

1) Create system restore point
2) Uninstall mobile broadband driver and centrino ultimate-N in device manager, but keep files
3) Reboot
4) Lenovo access connections automatically connects to mobile broadband. It's then just a matter of going in there and connecting to wifi also.

Everything is working beautifully now, and switching between wifi and mobile automatically. I think it was just corrupted TCP/IP settings in one or both adaptors.
X230, core i7, 16GB, 512GB SSD