Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X240/s: How-to replace the Clunkpad with an X250 Touchpad+buttons

X230-X280, X390 Series
RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: X240/s: How-to replace the Clunkpad with an X250 Touchpad+buttons

#31 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:35 am

@backlituser:
One very valid reason not to trust posts/websites like yours, is this unacceptable link [http://6lfd1bizaaaaamj4-gsdj6tokgywiq.....etc./]
it is available here from Lenovos site
you try to shove there down our throats.

Edward Mendelson
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#32 Post by Edward Mendelson » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:16 am

What a very weird link that is:
There's no domain (.com, .co.uk, etc.) at the end, so it can't possibly link to anything. It's useless, but not dangerous.

backlituser

#33 Post by backlituser » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:11 pm

I've managed to get this working, but, now I think the part of the wire that makes the top 3 buttons work has come loose. Any super easy ways to fix this?

EDIT: I've opened touchpad settings, it doesn't seem to be recognized, but the right driver is on. https://photos.app.goo.gl/a9JPuV9HpkowD29n9
EDIT #2: Nipple no longer works- THIS IS NOW VERY SERIOUS 😂😂

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#34 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:09 am

I don't want to be impolite, but that article you wrote on https://techforwards.co.uk is total rubbish.
A few basics:
- you changed the title of your article, but you didn't bother to change the link here!
- was: techforwards.co.uk/windows/how-to-swap-thinkpad-x240-for-x250-trackpad-install-the-windows-10-driver
- now: techforwards.co.uk/windows/thinkpad-x250-trackpad-drivers-on-the-x240/
That title is wrong, and also misleading!
You do not install "x250 trackpad drivers on the x240" (at least that's what you are suggesting).
You are installing "x240-drivers for an x250-trackpad on an x240".

- your Lenovo driver-link is also out of this world!
It says: https: //pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x240/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Mouse,%20Pen%20and%20Keyboard
Why not: https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n10gx39w.exe

- in Step 2, after showing
ACPI\VEN_LEN&DEV_0035
ACPI\LEN0035
*LEN0035
you mention "Now, the X240s TrackPad and fingerprint scanner"
FYI: there are two different models in that series, X240 and the slimmer X240s.
Does that text only apply to X240s?

The crunch a few lines down:
when windows decides to install the driver anyway (about every fortnight), you will have to quickly uninstall it (sub 2 minutes).
Every fortnight you have to uninstall something?
So, if you don’t care or have a fingerprint reader, block this as well:
LEN0035
So, if I have a fingerprint reader, I block this as well?

And after all that, your 'updates' are STILL not working? :roll:

Edward Mendelson
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#35 Post by Edward Mendelson » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:14 am

(Post #35)

A summary of the procedure required under Windows 10:

As earlier messages in this thread make clear, thanks to RBS, it's possible to replace the X240/s clunkpad with the X250 Touchpad and make it work under Windows 10. This post is only a summary of previous posts, with a new download to make things even simpler.

After installing Windows 10 or the first time, or after Windows 10 upgrades itself to a new version, do this (you may need to do this more than once before the driver finally gets installed):

1. Download this patched driver (made using RBS's instructions) and extract it to a convenient directory:

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/X240-Fixe ... Driver.zip

2. Disable your wi-fi connection and remove any ethernet cable.

3. In the Windows device manager, under Mouse, select the Synaptics driver, choose update driver, and navigate to the WinWDF folder in folder where you extracted the driver. Click OK until the driver gets installed.

Note: If the driver won't install, then delete the Synaptics driver from Device Manager, restart your computer and try again from step 1.

4. In the Group Policy Editor, go to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates ->System -> Device Installation -> Device Installation Restrictions -> Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs. Choose Enabled, then click the Show button, and enter these values on three lines:

Code: Select all

*ACPI\VEN_LEN&DEV_0035
ACPI\LEN0035
*LEN0035
Click OK and exit the Group Policy Editor.

5. Restart your computer. See whether the Touchpad and TrackPoint are working correctly. If so, restart again to make sure they are still working. If they continue to work correctly, then you can now reconnect to the Internet. If not, repeat the procedure described above.

Please do not waste your valuable time posting a message complaining that this message merely repeats earlier posts. That is exactly what it is intended to do, in clear summary form.

Layher

#36 Post by Layher » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:03 pm

Hi, quick feedback as my X250 trackpad stopped working in my X240 after update to Windows 10 20H2 eventhough I had driver updates blocked via group policy for hardware id LEN0035 of the trackpad.

1) Disable the group policy that blocked driver updates for the trackpad. If you didnt setup such a policy you can skip that step.
2) Remove old drivers as described in the first post of the topic.
3) Download the W10 drivers from the link there.
4) Extract them and edited the SynPD.inf as described in that post.
5) Now you need to disable the integrety check for drivers as you manipulated (?) it in step 4 which will end up in a failed install if you dont disable integrety check from my experience.
Disclaimer: If BitLocker is active you will need the restore key! So only proceed if you have the key or BitLocker is off!
To do so run cmd.exe as admin and enter the following three commands:
BCDEDIT –Set LoadOptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
BCDEDIT –Set TESTSIGNING ON
shutdown /g /f /t 0

The last command obviously triggers a clean reboot. All programs opened will be terminated so you better have them closed before.

6) Now install the driver either via the setup or device manager.
7) If you like enable the group policy to prevent driver updates as described in the post linked in the first post.
8) After installation is successful (and group policy set) you enable the integrity check again with those three commands in cmd.exe ran as admin:
BCDEDIT –Set LoadOptions EENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
BCDEDIT –Set TESTSIGNING OFF
shutdown /g /f /t 0

Now your trackpad should be working fine again. I assume Microsoft decided to just block unsigned drivers rather then ask if you want to install them anyway. Or is there another reason why it blocks the driver without the described steps? Not sure if my work is the best aproach but it worked for me so feel free to hate me. :lol:

I'm currently running Windows 10 Enterprise N Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042.

Edward Mendelson
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#37 Post by Edward Mendelson » Sat May 07, 2022 3:40 pm

I recently reinstalled the Synaptic driver as described in post 35, on an updated Windows 10-32bit system on an X240s. I had to perform the installation twice before the trackpad worked correctly, but the second installation got the job done.

Edward Mendelson
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#38 Post by Edward Mendelson » Fri May 13, 2022 4:33 pm

And the registry-only method in this thread also seems to work, though it took two or three restarts before it took hold:

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=126860&p=865657&hi ... ad#p865657