Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

W520 keyboard + palmrest in W530?

W530/W540/W541/W550 Series
suki

W520 keyboard + palmrest in W530?

#1 Post by suki » Fri May 03, 2024 10:50 pm

I know it's possible to replace the 6-row keyboard with the 7-row keyboard, but I was wondering if it's possible to also swap out the palmrests, for aesthetic purposes. I wanted to know if anyone here has already tried what I'm thinking of trying.
I have already been studying images to compare the palmrests of the two models, and from the outside they look like they'll be able to fit, but there may be some kind of difference that can't be found simply by looking at images, which is why I'm posting this.

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: W520 keyboard + palmrest in W530?

#2 Post by TPFanatic » Sat May 04, 2024 2:31 am

They're different, see this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=120142
brchan wrote:For future reference, T520/W520 palmrests are not compatible with W530/T530 models. Thinkwiki was incorrect with the 15.6" models. There are numerous additional plastics around the bottom of the trackpoint area that don't line up with the magnesium frame. Even after removing them, the top left corner of T520/W520 palmrests will always want to 'shift' downwards. There is also noticeable 'bowing', at the trackpoint area. Lastly, the short screw hole of palmrest that is next to the W530/T530 logo (near the hinge) is offset just enough that it will not align properly with the magnesium frame hole.
When I did the mod on a couple W530 I preferred to modify the palmrest to fit the **20 keyboard rather than the keyboard to fit the W530 frame. Since in my case both donor and replacement keyboards were Chicony I was able to refit the trackpoint buttons matching the new palmrest shape, like shown here:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=134639