Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

How to Fresh Install Win XP (Step-by-Step Guide)

Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
Chrispy
Freshman Member

Re: How to Fresh Install Win XP (Step-by-Step Guide)

#211 Post by Chrispy » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:32 pm

UCI_MECH wrote:When I first got my T42 3VU and wanted to install a clean copy of Windows XP, I looked every where on the net to find a detailed guide that walks you through all the necessary steps to accomplish this task. Unfortunately, I could not find such a guide.

So, I decided to write this guide myself and make it available to everyone. This step-by-step guide shows you how can you create a bootable CD, format and fresh install Windows XP Pro, and finally install all the necessary drivers for your ThinkPad.

The guide is avaialble on my web site here:

http://www.4saad.com/WhatsNew/Fresh_XP_ ... /index.htm
I followed this guide exaclty to try to install a fresh copy of tablet edition on my tablet PC but it did not work at all. After the install I just got a blue screen and had to run R&R.... how do you do this to make a Tablet PC Disc?
Thinkpad X60 12" XGA / 1.66 GHz Core 2 Duo / 1.5 GB DDR2 RAM / 80 GB 5,400 RPM HDD / Win XP Pro SP2

XCoalMiner
Sophomore Member

#212 Post by XCoalMiner » Wed May 03, 2006 10:25 pm

I'm curious is anyone else got malware/virus warnings when using the 'Magical Jelly Bean' Keyfinder?

The zip file I downloaded had one executable file inside the zip archive (keyfinder.exe), and upon running that executable, got several warnings, one of which referenced a file named officekey.exe. Which I blocked from running, and clicked to have removed.

McAfee reported a file named officekey.exe as Generic.PUP.a, located in C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp\RarSFX0. Am I being paranoid?

Mika

#213 Post by Mika » Wed May 31, 2006 2:47 pm

There's a much easier way to create your own windows boot cd

try this: http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/06/03/202/

(okay, its in German.... ;-)

just unpack and run "slipstreamer.exe"

this is an easy script. You simply have to select your c:\I386 folder and then specify your own output folder

when your finished, this will creaty a *.iso image, which you can burn on cd.

cu
Mika

GomJabbar

#214 Post by GomJabbar » Wed May 31, 2006 10:24 pm

I thought I would report my experience. I made the CD some months back, but I only fully tested it today.

What I did was take a SP2 slipstreamed CD that I made from an OEM Windows XP Pro CD that I received with a desktop PC. I copied the CD's contents into a directory (xpcdsetup) on the hard drive. I deleted the i386 directory from this directory I just made, and copied the I386 directory from my T42 to the xpcdsetup directory. I then copied the unattend.txt from the I386 directory to the xpcdsetup directory. I edited the UnattendMode line in unattend.txt from: Unattendmode = FullUnattended to: Unattendmode = ProvideDefault.

I then burned the above files and folders from the above directory onto a CD/R using Nero. (I had previously gotten the CD image file to use from the original desktop PC Windows XP Pro CD, using Isobuster.)

Regarding the key, the key I retrieved from my existing IBM factory install using Magic Jelly Bean would not work with this CD. What did work is the key from the sticker on the bottom of the ThinkPad. However I do have to activate within 30 days.

This was only an experiment on a spare hard drive. I plan to clone my main hard drive to the spare hard drive again.
DKB

mhca
Freshman Member

#215 Post by mhca » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:17 pm

GomJabbar wrote:Regarding the key, the key I retrieved from my existing IBM factory install using Magic Jelly Bean would not work with this CD. What did work is the key from the sticker on the bottom of the ThinkPad. However I do have to activate within 30 days.

This was only an experiment on a spare hard drive. I plan to clone my main hard drive to the spare hard drive again.

Same here with the keys. I didn't use an unattended install since I expected to be able to activate my install with the key on my sticker.

I saved both the key from Magic Jelly Bean and the one on my sticker.

I installed using the key on the sticker and activation failed afterwards. I tried entering the key from Magic Jelly Bean in the activation dialog box and this didn't work either. Also the key Magic Jelly showed at previous install is the same as the one it shows now.

I was considering to call Microsoft since I know this is a valid key and I am still using it on the hardware I got it with. Will they help me or just tell me I have done something wrong?
IBM X41 2527-67G
12.1", 1.5 GHz, 1024 MB DDR2, 40 GB 4200 RPM 1.8" HDD, 1.3 kg w. 4-cell battery, 1.5 kg w. 8-cell battery

ThinkZ61
Freshman Member

#216 Post by ThinkZ61 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:48 pm

Mika wrote:There's a much easier way to create your own windows boot cd

try this: http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/06/03/202/

(okay, its in German.... ;-)

just unpack and run "slipstreamer.exe"

this is an easy script. You simply have to select your c:\I386 folder and then specify your own output folder

when your finished, this will creaty a *.iso image, which you can burn on cd.

cu
Mika
Burned the Win XP CD per Mika's instruction and it worked fine. I installed the XP last night but haven't activated it yet. I will do it tonight and post my results.

Thanks Mika. The process was painless and fast rather than going over all the steps that was previously posted.

ThinkZ61
Freshman Member

#217 Post by ThinkZ61 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:38 am

Update:
======

I just finished performing a fresh install of Windows XP on my new z61t. Everything went smooth and all drivers are installed except the audio driver. Fixed the hickup by following recommendations from http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=19495 and downloading the HDA Audio Bus driver from http://acmserver.cs.ucr.edu/~amitra/hda_bus/. After than I installed the audio and modem drivers... Finally everything is working fine.

I noticed something though, my power scheme used to have ThinkPad Recommended or something like that before the clean install but now I don't have it anymore.

Currently I have only the followings:
Maximum Performance
Maximum Battery Life
Timers Off (Presentation)
Power Source Optimized
Power Off Display

I even tried installing the Power Management software from Lenovo site but no luck. Anyone have any recommendation?

ThinkZ61
Freshman Member

#218 Post by ThinkZ61 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:43 pm

I forgot to mention that I had to perform the clean installation using the cd-key from the sticker but then I changed it back to the one found by Magic Jelly Bean (from Factory install) and it's already activated....

GomJabbar

#219 Post by GomJabbar » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:56 pm

ThinkZ61 wrote:I forgot to mention that I had to perform the clean installation using the cd-key from the sticker but then I changed it back to the one found by Magic Jelly Bean (from Factory install) and it's already activated....
How did you do that exactly? :?
DKB

ThinkZ61
Freshman Member

#220 Post by ThinkZ61 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:59 pm

GomJabbar wrote:
ThinkZ61 wrote:I forgot to mention that I had to perform the clean installation using the cd-key from the sticker but then I changed it back to the one found by Magic Jelly Bean (from Factory install) and it's already activated....
How did you do that exactly? :?
Open the Magic Jelly software, go to Options -> Change Key and input the factory installed key and you should be all set. Also, if you click Activate it will say that windows is already activated.

eirikur

Can't burn the recovery cd

#221 Post by eirikur » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:32 am

I have gone through each step of this process up to step 8. When I get to the part where it is suppoed to burn the contents to the cd, it doesn't. The cd is empty.

There isn't any folder named C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\ so I can not use my own burning software.

I can't find the bcd.iso when I search the hard disc.

Is there anything I am doing wrong?
Eirikur

K0LO

#222 Post by K0LO » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:00 pm

There isn't any folder named C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\ so I can not use my own burning software.
This is a hidden folder, so turn on "Show hidden files and folders" on Start/Control Panel/Folder Options/View/Hidden Files and Folders.
Mark

X61T 7764-CTO, Core 2 Duo L7500 LV 1.6 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 120 GB Intel X25M SSD
Multiboot w/Grub4DOS -- Windows 10, MustangPE, PartedMagic
My ex: X41T (2005 - 2009)

b1ackb1rd

#223 Post by b1ackb1rd » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:05 am

Sorry beginners question here;

I going to get a copy of XP to stick on my 600e (P2/192Mb RAM), which works best on such an old system, XP Pro or XP Home?

johnfarrow

MJB

#224 Post by johnfarrow » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:28 pm

Where does Magic Jelly Beaan come from?
John Farrow
T-23 512 MB
Z60m 2351-MTU
80 gB HDD

GomJabbar

Re: MJB

#225 Post by GomJabbar » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:15 pm

johnfarrow wrote:Where does Magic Jelly Beaan come from?
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml
DKB

bayuadhi

#226 Post by bayuadhi » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:49 pm

ThinkZ61 wrote:Update:
======

I just finished performing a fresh install of Windows XP on my new z61t. Everything went smooth and all drivers are installed except the audio driver. Fixed the hickup by following recommendations from http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=19495 and downloading the HDA Audio Bus driver from http://acmserver.cs.ucr.edu/~amitra/hda_bus/. After than I installed the audio and modem drivers... Finally everything is working fine.
hmm.. did you have to change the serial ata setting on the bios?? i have to change the value to compatibility (the original value was ahci) to continue the installation. otherwise the installation cd can't find the harddisk.
ThinkZ61 wrote: I noticed something though, my power scheme used to have ThinkPad Recommended or something like that before the clean install but now I don't have it anymore.
yeah.. i have the option gone too.. :S but i don't think it's important though... :D

Mack
Freshman Member

#227 Post by Mack » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:11 am

I have tried to use this "clean" XP cd, and to install it on another machine which is not a ThinkPad, but I get a bluescreen early in the installation process. It says something about "BAD_MACHINE_CHECK". Does this mean that the xp installation cd we have created from the description in this thread only works on the specified ThinkPad?

Since we have both the "retail" key sticker attached to the bottom of the machine, and the OEM key from the beginning, I thought I had a legal cd which I could install on any computer.

Is there any way for me to use my xp cd and install it on another computer? Since my ThinkPad is now broken, I really want to use my already existing cd, which I have paid for (included in the price for the ThinkPad I think..).

tselling
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#228 Post by tselling » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:48 am

You have an OEM version on your Thinkpad... to include the COA on the bottom of the machine. It is not legal to use it on another machine. Must be used on the machine it came with.
T61P 2.2ghz 4GB 7K200GB 15.4" WSXGA+ Vista 64
HP 2530p L7400 1.86Ghz 3GB 160GB Windows 7 Pro 64
(Hubby) HP 2510p U7500 1.06Ghz 2GB 5K120GB 12" LED WXGA XP Pro
(4 year old son) Toughbook CF-29 1.3Ghz 1.2GB 5K250GB 13.3" XGA XP Pro

Mack
Freshman Member

#229 Post by Mack » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:15 pm

Ok, thanks for the answer. Means I have to buy a complete new XP license... :(

krsamy

xp install

#230 Post by krsamy » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:02 am

Excellent guide on fresh install. I installed xp pro on a new wd 120gb harddisk exactly following the instructions. Only place I fumbled is when XP started copying files and at the first restart I forgot to remove the boot cd (actually I was away from the screen when it happened). Installation only wanted to boot from cd and even when I removed the CD it did not proceed. When I inserted the CD, the installation once again started afresh and this time when I removed the CD installation went perfect. Maybe this info may be updated in the guide somewhere (if it is important)
Thanks for the OP

tadler

setup doesn't find hard disk srives

#231 Post by tadler » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:30 am

bayuadhi wrote:
ThinkZ61 wrote: hmm.. did you have to change the serial ata setting on the bios?? i have to change the value to compatibility (the original value was ahci) to continue the installation. otherwise the installation cd can't find the harddisk.
i also had the same problem and changed the settings in the bios to compatibility value, which worked! i have a new X60S. maybe if more people experience this, it should be included in the (wonderful) guide?

thanks everyone for posting their experiences.
will update if i encounter more issues.
=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=

TP X60s | 1703-AQ5 | 2GB RAM | Intel 3945bg | Hitachi travelstar 5k100 100GB HD | matSHITa uj-842 drive | XP sp3 |

Jnetty99

#232 Post by Jnetty99 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:12 pm

This is my first post.

I like to say thank you for these instructions. Everything worked correctly to reinstall Windows fresh on my Thinkpad Z60m. I changed the original 40 gig hard drive for a 100 gig drive and after messing around for a day I got it all up and running. Even the install key worked correctly without having to use my real key under the laptop.

The only thing I changed through the instructions was that I have Windows XP Home and not Pro. I just placed the I386 folder in the winxphome folder instead of the winxppro folder.
ThinkPad Z60m

JimL
Sophomore Member

#233 Post by JimL » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:53 pm

UCI_MECH wrote:I decided to write this guide myself and make it available to everyone. This step-by-step guide shows you how can you create a bootable CD, format and fresh install Windows XP Pro, and finally install all the necessary drivers for your ThinkPad.

The guide is avaialble on my web site here:

http://www.4saad.com/WhatsNew/Fresh_XP_ ... /index.htm
I'm just now looking at getting into a T42 and XP. Step 2 of this guide says to format the hard drive. What if you get a used Thinkpad that has already been wiped? Is there an installation guide for that?

GomJabbar

#234 Post by GomJabbar » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:55 pm

JimL wrote:I'm just now looking at getting into a T42 and XP. Step 2 of this guide says to format the hard drive. What if you get a used Thinkpad that has already been wiped? Is there an installation guide for that?
See if the thinkpads.com forum FAQ answers some of your questions.

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=1689
DKB

JimL
Sophomore Member

#235 Post by JimL » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:23 am

GomJabbar wrote:
JimL wrote:I'm just now looking at getting into a T42 and XP. Step 2 of this guide says to format the hard drive. What if you get a used Thinkpad that has already been wiped? Is there an installation guide for that?
See if the thinkpads.com forum FAQ answers some of your questions.

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=1689
The link for "installation instructions" is dead.

The link on the only line that even mentions XP (not install to wiped drive but upgrade) is dead.

I have just one question. Given that the only apparent way to install XP depends on it already being installed, how do you circumvent the catch 22?

GomJabbar

#236 Post by GomJabbar » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:45 am

JimL wrote:Given that the only apparent way to install XP depends on it already being installed, how do you circumvent the catch 22?
Probably the best way is to buy the Recovery Discs from Lenovo. I hear the price is around $45 US. I believe a generic OEM XP CD will work with the Product Key on the bottom of the ThinkPad. Otherwise buy a retail Windows XP CD.

Recovery CD part numbers - ThinkPad T42/p
DKB

JimL
Sophomore Member

#237 Post by JimL » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:04 pm

GomJabbar wrote:
JimL wrote:Given that the only apparent way to install XP depends on it already being installed, how do you circumvent the catch 22?
Probably the best way is to buy the Recovery Discs from Lenovo.
Thanks.

I hope they are different from what I had. I got a recovery CD for my 770E and win 98SE after it crashed too many times to count and I formatted it. (A formatted drive IS my subject.) I couldn't figure out how to even use the thing, so I bought the actual installation CD's. But that was considerably cheaper than buying XP Pro CD's would be.

gibblr
Freshman Member

#238 Post by gibblr » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:48 am

Good day
Kind of an old thread but I hope someone can help me.
At step 7, all of a sudden there is a mention of a file called win51ip.sp2.
what is in that file? there is no mention until step 7
Important Note: You must do this step even if your computer came preloaded with SP2. This step is crucial to create a file called win51ip.SP2 which prevents the install CD from asking you to insert the SP2 update CD during the installation.

I used notepad a created a file called that, but it is a empty file

Should win51ip.sp2 have been in the folder before I did the integration?

Also, what and where does the w2ksect.bin come from? that is also another file that is not mentioned until step 7 when it says that this is how the folder should look and there is that file.

I have an OEM version of Winxp pro that I got my i386 files from, and there is no file on that CD with that name either

Help please!!
TIA
Chad
ThinkPad A31, P4M 1.9ghz, 1gb KVR PC2700 60gb, DVD, BlueTooth, 15.4" LCD, USB 2.0

GomJabbar

#239 Post by GomJabbar » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:11 am

I just looked on my hard drive and on a SP2 slipstreamed CD I made some time ago. win51ip.sp2 is not on the hard drive, but it is on the CD. I tried opening it in Wordpad and Notepad, but there was nothing to display. I am quite certain that that file is created when you do the integration of SP2. I am a bit rusty on the whole process as it was quite awhile ago that I did it. Here are a couple of more links that may help you out. If I remember correctly, the method of integrating in the Maximum PC article did not work for me. This is also the same method used in the Paul Thurrott article. It was the PC Magazine method of Integration that I was able to use successfully. Note that the rest of the Maximum PC article was most helpful to me. I had not seen Paul Thurrott's article when I did the slipsteam.
PC Magazine wrote:Next, download the "network install" version of Windows XP Service Pack 2 (a 272,391KB download). Use the /integrate switch, which will embed this as a slipstream into the Windows install files.
WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe /integrate:I:\WinXPPro
http://www.maximumpc.com/2005/01/how_to_slipstre.html

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1838607,00.asp

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/wi ... stream.asp

EDIT: One suggestion. Use a CD/RW disk while you are trying to get this to work. Once you have created a CD that will boot successfully, then burn one to CD/R. I made a few coasters before I applied this strategy.
DKB

gibblr
Freshman Member

#240 Post by gibblr » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:12 pm

Thanks for the tips, I wil see if I can make a go of it now. I probably buggered it up by making the file myself.
But I always do better the second or third or fourth time anyhow!! :D

Thanks again
ThinkPad A31, P4M 1.9ghz, 1gb KVR PC2700 60gb, DVD, BlueTooth, 15.4" LCD, USB 2.0