Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

A bootable linux flash for a Windows user to use Tp_smapi?

Linux on ThinkPads
Megavvolt

A bootable linux flash for a Windows user to use Tp_smapi?

#1 Post by Megavvolt » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:36 pm

Hello there,

Originally posted in a wrong section - will delete my post there now and will repost it here.
Hope you can help.

I'm a Windows XP user who doesn't particularly like Lenovo Power Manager. I'm quite good with RMClock and TPFanControl and I don't want any extra stuff on my laptop.

However, Power Manager does have one feature I need. It's the ability to set thresholds for charging of a battery. The common opinion here is, this is regulated by an embedded battery circuit, and PowerManager just "pushes buttons" inside the battery. After thresholds are set, the battery won't charge even if you exit Windows and boot, say, DOS, or even turn the laptop off (but keep the AC adapter switched on).

For obvious reasons, when on AC, I don't want my battery to be charged more than 40%, and the only tool that can do it for me is Power Manager.

Question is, is there a way to change charging thresholds without having Power Manager installed?

All I have found so far is:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Tp_smapi
https://gitorious.org/linux-test-utils/tp_charge

But they are both *nix stuff I know nothing about.
Is there a way to ask Those Who Know How To Do Things Like That to create an image for a bootable flash drive with one of the utilities listed above plus an idiot-proof editable batch file/script to run (like, to start charging when below %40, stop charging when below %50 when you're working at home, or to charge the battery all the way when you're ready to travel)?

Sorry - it's for T61 with x3100 video.