Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu - what do you prefer?

Linux on ThinkPads

What OS do you prefer running on your thinkpad?

Ubuntu 12.04
23%
Ubuntu - other version
18%
Other Linux
41%
Windows 7
18%
Windows 7 modded
No votes
Windows 8
No votes
Older Winsucks
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 22

Heliotropen

Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu - what do you prefer?

#1 Post by Heliotropen » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:14 am

Don't we need a Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu thread on thinkpads in here? :P

If you wote, plz tell us why, you prefer what you do xD

- Helio

willprice94

Re: Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu - what do you prefer?

#2 Post by willprice94 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:38 am

They have different strengths. I like Arch for writing code in as it lets me set up the laptop just how I like it (XMonad + urxvt with vim) and I like Win 7 for taking notes, as onenote is an excellent application, though I dislike having to manage windows myself but I make quite heavy use of win+arrow keys, still, I'd prefer a tiling WM.

Heliotropen

Re: Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu - what do you prefer?

#3 Post by Heliotropen » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:39 pm

willprice94 wrote:They have different strengths. I like Arch for writing code in as it lets me set up the laptop just how I like it (XMonad + urxvt with vim) and I like Win 7 for taking notes, as onenote is an excellent application, though I dislike having to manage windows myself but I make quite heavy use of win+arrow keys, still, I'd prefer a tiling WM.
Thnx man, so happy that you would answer (:

First of all I should say, that it's no secret that I made this thread because I just bought the w500 that is going to arrive one of the next days, - and for a very long time, I have used ubuntu and loved it(though I have a payed version of win7, payed photoshop and so on that I have been using trough wine) - I master both linux, windows, and OS x, so I have some options to choose from.

What I think about reading your post, is that I perhaps should get out of the either or, and run ubuntu on my x60s, and consider shooting win 7 on the w500? (would love some thoughts on that idea).

X60s:
I have mostly used my x60s for a long time(has not worked that much, due to a wrong exchange of my t42P to a t43 by a mistake, and it sucked, so I have given it to my sister, - and it's simply not strong enough for this.)

I'm running a 12.04 unity 2d, where I have removed the launcher(chmoded the unity shell), changed from metacity to compiz, and installed cairo dock. - It runs fine, and I expect it to run even better when I get 2gb extra ram to it tomorrow(3gb total), and a ssd-drive in the future.

Link because of the size of the screenshot:
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1113 ... 01rmgb.png

It has allot going on for it, the global menu is perfect on the small display, when reading and all such. - I usually use full-screen windows spread throughout the virtual desktops, so that is a perfect setup on this machine. - And abiword is just perfect to write in on this machine.

Usage: I will mostly use it for writing texts, reading, browsing and using the web - and overall being portable(always bringing it with me).

My ideas was not to use it for coding.

W500
That's why I bought the w500, to have a powerhorse to work on.
And I have as said, not yet decided what I will get this workhorse to drag.

Usage:I will use it for webdesign/web coding, info-product development(text, graphics, web-video editing), - perhaps even text proofreading(if I go with winsucks, and run ms office, which has a better spell checker especially in danish than libreoffice), layout work, and so on. (and of course whatever pop's up doing that I'm not going to shift machine for mail, music, webbrowsing, and all such while working, - but if I'm not working I'm using the x60s I guess)...

My dream here is to be able to work with two windows next to each other, and allot of multitasking, - for the same reason I don't expect that I will want to use the global menu in unity(I can get around that if I still go with ubuntu easy, so not a problem) on this machine, with the bigger screen estate.

My biggest irritation with winsucks, is that I just don't think it's nice to work with - it FEELS irritating - so if I do so, I will properly have to change the shell and all kind of [censored], and then it will still not be as nice as ubuntu I guess... obivously the hardware runs better on the w500, and the actual software will properly do the same ... also I would not have to dual boot ...

I also like the fact, that I have never gotten a virus on any of my linux machines, where as there has to be put serious effort into the windows 7, with anti virus software and all kind of [censored]. :)

- Helio