Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Win XP/Linux Dual-Boot Newbie Questions

Linux on ThinkPads
robert213

Win XP/Linux Dual-Boot Newbie Questions

#1 Post by robert213 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:42 pm

I am ready to take on a new challenge.

I just purchased another 100GB HD.
I plan to use Acronis True Image to restore a fresh Win XP install from a previously cloned HD.
I plan to download Ubuntu Linux.
I plan to download NeoSmart EasyBCD 2.0.2

I would like to dual-boot back-n-forth between Windows .NET and Linux applications.

This is all I know at this point...
If you already have vista installed and want to create a new installation over it, download easybcd, and make a backup of your current bootloader configuration - then re-install vista, rerun easybcd and replace the new one with the old dual boot one, and the problem should be solved.
Please give me some keywords (that I wouldn't think of on my own, e.g. recommended products), so that I can start searching for meaningful posts on both this Board and the Web.
TuuS-built T61: T8100 2.1 GHz, SXGA+, NVS140M, Patriot 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800, Samsung 840 Pro; Thinkpad T30: P4M 1.8 GHz, HYNIX 512 MB PC2700S DDR, Hitachi Travelstar 7K100; SilverStone Raven RVS01; 97 Volvo 850-R, 85 Mitsubishi Starion-ES, Keilwerth SX-90R, Ensoniq TS-12, Kawai EP-608

BruisedQuasar

Re: Win XP/Linux Dual-Boot Newbie Questions

#2 Post by BruisedQuasar » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:14 am

The best tip I can think of is you should visit the Ubuntu Community Forum, register and search using terms based on what you
wish to do and the hard ware you need information about. You may also want to search the name of you laptop. You may also want to visit linuxquestions site

--Bruised

GomJabbar

Re: Win XP/Linux Dual-Boot Newbie Questions

#3 Post by GomJabbar » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:34 am

Easy BCD is for later versions of Windows than XP if I'm not mistaken.

All you need to do is install XP first, then install Linux and let the GRUB bootloader install the boot menu.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DualBoot/Windows
DKB