Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad fan control

Linux on ThinkPads
Teddy_the_Bear

Thinkpad fan control

#1 Post by Teddy_the_Bear » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:29 am

Hello everybody,

I am quite a newbie in linux trying to find enough reasons to leave Windows. Running Linux mint and ubuntu a I tried to control my thinkpad fan because in linux the fan goes still at 3600 rpm - so I installed various thinkpad fan control apps (see http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_control_fan_speed) but without any effect (it just does not listen to the apps; btw: yes, I have thinkpad_acpi fan_control=1)

What should I do to get it working? Does anybody here have any other suggestion/experience?

Thanks a lot!

(T410i)

at both ends

Re: Thinkpad fan control

#2 Post by at both ends » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:06 am

I had all sorts of trouble with many of the recommended solutions at thinkwiki so I rolled my own.

Logged in as root (sudo -i) I created this script on my T60. I don't do anything that exercises the GPU too heavily so it looks at the CPU only.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
CPUTEMP=`cut -f 2 /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal | cut -d ' ' -f 1`
if [ $CPUTEMP -lt 53 ]
then
  SPEED=0
elif [ $CPUTEMP -lt 60 ]
then
  SPEED=2
else
  SPEED=auto
fi
echo level $SPEED > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
root's crontab includes an entry to run that script every 5 minutes.

Quick. Dirty. Works for me.
[ex] R51 1836-QNU W700 2752-RZ2 T60 2007-4BU T60 2007-5TU · [now] T420i 4177-CTO T60 2007-73U

comps
Freshman Member

#3 Post by comps » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:20 am

Teddy_the_Bear wrote:Hello everybody,

I am quite a newbie in linux trying to find enough reasons to leave Windows. Running Linux mint and ubuntu a I tried to control my thinkpad fan because in linux the fan goes still at 3600 rpm - so I installed various thinkpad fan control apps (see http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_control_fan_speed) but without any effect (it just does not listen to the apps; btw: yes, I have thinkpad_acpi fan_control=1)

What should I do to get it working? Does anybody here have any other suggestion/experience?

Thanks a lot!

(T410i)
You need to add experimental=1 as a module parameter as well.

Teddy_the_Bear

#4 Post by Teddy_the_Bear » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:45 pm

at both ends wrote:I had all sorts of trouble with many of the recommended solutions at thinkwiki so I rolled my own.

Logged in as root (sudo -i) I created this script on my T60. I don't do anything that exercises the GPU too heavily so it looks at the CPU only.

Quick. Dirty. Works for me.

Thanks a lot. It seems to do something (I don't understand a bit of the code), but then it goes back to constant 3500 rpm. After hiting the code, fan stops for a second and then it goes back to 3500... (Temperature at testing the solution: 49)
You need to add experimental=1 as a module parameter as well.
Thanks. I did that, no result.

EDIT: I did it. thanks to thinkfan utility. I had to uninstall thinkpad fan control and now everything works just fine

lasttdylan

#5 Post by lasttdylan » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:15 pm

EDIT: I did it. thanks to thinkfan utility. I had to uninstall thinkpad fan control and now everything works just fine

Hi,
I am new to this as well so forgive me if my question sounds silly. I have a T410s and am running ubuntu 11.10. I am going through the very same problem: I have to manually keep run tpfancontrol (by Stanko) multiple times to lower the temperature down,otherwise the fan speed just goes back to 3500rpm even after I put the "automatic control" option on tpfancontrol.
I ran at both ends's shell script and it does basically what tpfancontrol does; it runs and stops. What did you do to get yours working? How does removing tpfancontrol work for you? Isnt that just the same as leaving it there, and not executing it?