Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

R32 Heating problems

Linux on ThinkPads
altecvix

R32 Heating problems

#1 Post by altecvix » Mon May 16, 2011 12:05 am

Hey everyone I remember last time this forum was so helpful with my last problem that I thought I would bring another one before you.

I have a CPU heating issue. When ever I do anything that is CPU intensive like watch videos like flash videos my old and faithful R32 will play the video beautifully until the CPU temp. reaches 70 C and then video playback starts stuttering. I believe the issue has to do with the fan or lack there of. When the computer boots the fan does a brief stint where it runs at full speed for a second and then slows back down and then it will never run that fast again. Even when CPU temps are 70C the fan never kicks in.

So I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and how they got around it and if there is any software out there that will work with the R32 that will allow you to manually control the CPU fan speed, because I am certain that if the fan just kicked in and worked a little the the core temp would drop back down allowing me to watch videos for as long as I wanted with having to have frequent "cool down" periods.

I am currently using the Peppermint One OS as it is the best operating system I have found for archaic laptops. I also have a 2.2 ghz cpu and in an effort to remedy the problem i have already taken it apart cleaned the surface of the CPU chip and heatsink and applied new Arctic Silver paste to no effect.

Any ideas would be great
Thanks.

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Re: R32 Heating problems

#2 Post by Harryc » Mon May 16, 2011 2:41 am

You are looking for fan utility advice for Peppermint one. I think this will get the right attention in the Linux forum ...

comps
Freshman Member

Re: R32 Heating problems

#3 Post by comps » Tue May 17, 2011 7:12 am

See http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... 76&start=0 and similar topics (search a bit).