Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad T23 won't boot

T20-T23 Series and T30. NOT for T25-Retro.
billm

Thinkpad T23 won't boot

#1 Post by billm » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:07 pm

I have a four-year-old T23 that will not boot up. When I hit the power button, the lights come on and the drives spin up, but the screen stays blank. This happens regardless of whether it's plugged in or on battery. When I do a soft reboot, it aways comes up. It's only a hard reboot that fails.

The problem began when the laptop stopped waking up after I put it to sleep. Then it would occasionally fail to boot when I restarted it. Now it almost never comes up. I've tried fiddling with it (removing and reinserting the hard drive, RAM, etc.) and this seems to increase the likelihood that it will boot by a little, but that might be my imagination.

Does this sound like a loose connection? If so, where? My waranty has expired. What should I do?

Thanks for any help.
-Bill

skygodtj

#2 Post by skygodtj » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:06 pm

I'd start with the CMOS battery. After that, I'd reload the OS, but thats just me. It sounds like your power mgmt is boogered up. An OS reload would more than likely fix it.

TJ
============================================================
Remember, it's not the size of your boat that's matters, it's what you ram it into..
Bill Ingval

dsvochak
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#3 Post by dsvochak » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:06 pm

You might want to go here http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... IGR-4YZM3F to download PC Doctor for DOS, follow the instructions to create the disks, boot from the floppys and run the tests.
I used to be an anarchist but I quit because there were too many rules

billm

#4 Post by billm » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:49 pm

skygodtj wrote:I'd start with the CMOS battery. After that, I'd reload the OS, but thats just me. It sounds like your power mgmt is boogered up. An OS reload would more than likely fix it.

TJ
Thanks for the tip about the CMOS battery. I'll try to test it out.

The machine never makes it to the OS stage, or even the bootloader. The IBM logo never appears. That's why I'm pretty sure it's a hardware issue.

-Bill