Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Since PIII-E's are locked, PM adjusts what?

T20-T23 Series and T30. NOT for T25-Retro.
betabill
Freshman Member

Since PIII-E's are locked, PM adjusts what?

#1 Post by betabill » Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:36 am

I Have a 800mhz PIII-E in a T-20 264792u and despite bios setup reporting cpu as an 800mhz PIII, after loading the OS the following resources such as AIDA32, PcDoctor, CPU-Z report a 647.2 mhz processor at 6.5x99.6 ........ I have all PM settings set at MAX PERFORMANCE since I dont need to use the battery very often. I also have the most recent Windows PM application installed from the Lenovo website.

How can I get the cpu back up to it's rated speed? Is this a cpu heat issue? Theres no cpu thermal sensor on this system board recognized by software nmoniytoring problems.

skygodtj

#2 Post by skygodtj » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:02 pm

Do you have SpeedStep installed and running? It wont run at 800mhz unless it's -really- needed... like DVD decoding, etc. Just because it's installed, doesnt mean it'll run at 800. My 1.2Ghz T23 rarely runs at the full 1.2Ghz, but it does every now and then, and thats fine with me... runs cooler, saves battery life.

TJ
============================================================
Remember, it's not the size of your boat that's matters, it's what you ram it into..
Bill Ingval

betabill
Freshman Member

#3 Post by betabill » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:23 pm

Hmm, I cant understand why Speedstep would be working if it is totally disabled in bios. In fact when I turned some speedstep options on auto did I occasionally catch the cpu working at 796mhz. This feature makes sense to me now but I feel that it should be able to be entirely disabled if wanted.
Oh well, thats what I get for being a big AMD fan

#4 Post by Guest » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:56 pm

I cant understand why Speedstep would be working if it is totally disabled in bios
Search for "speedstep" here. There are a number of threads suggesting that the operating system will over ride the bios settings. This has been my experience, at least with Win XP