Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Question about Bill and X40 security

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
Cobos

Question about Bill and X40 security

#1 Post by Cobos » Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:34 am

I've almost decided to buy a X40 from Bill Morrow, but before I send off a big lot of money through a wire transfer anyone with any bad experience with him (yes, I know this probably not the best question to ask this kind of question).
Second I intend to use that X40 to write my master thesis at my University and I thought I'd get myself a Kensington lock. The plan was that when I go to the bathroom f. inst. I do not have to bring with me the laptop :) Or is there some other good method to get basic security for the machine ?

I intend to buy this model: 23716EU any other tips someone wants to give to a prospective X40 owner :)

Cobos
If you are not part of the solution you are part of the precipitate

em500
User with bad email address, PLEASE fix!

#2 Post by em500 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:19 am

Just put in on standby and take it with you to the bathroom in a backpack., the X40 is so light, it won't be much of a hassle. And if you get the extended battery you would be working on batteries most of the time anyway. I wouldn't trust that lock hole: I've seen (obviously stolen) laptops on offer where the hole of the lock was destroyed.

Cobos

#3 Post by Cobos » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:53 pm

The problem would be that many of those times I would not actually go to the bathroom but rather the lab, and it's not exactly safe to wear a backpack there :) (not enough space, and with 200bar H2 and O2 tanks in the same room you want to be safe :) But I'll keep in mind the fact that the kensington lock isn't that safe...

But is there really noone that can vouch for Bill ?

Cobos

JHEM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by JHEM » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:52 pm

Cobos wrote:But is there really no one that can vouch for Bill?
You didn't ask for anyone to vouch for Bill in your original post, you asked to hear from folks "with any bad experience with him". I should think the mere fact that you didn't receive any replies would speak volumes as to Bill's integrity.

Two minutes spent reading the bountiful praise for Bill's services over the years both here and in the original forums at www.thinkpads.com should calm any fears you might entertain.

Regards,

James
5.5K+ posts and all I've got to show for it are some feathers.... AND a Bird wearing a Crown

DavidNZ

#5 Post by DavidNZ » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:44 pm

I just got a 23716EU - my advice is to go with an extra 256MB of RAM. Instead of the IBM CDRW, i picked up a external Creative monster. I'll never travel with it, so that fact it weighs almost twice as much as the X40 didn't matter all that much.

You'll love your machine. The size of the screen might take some getting used, especially if, like me, you're downgrading from something like a 14", but other than that, wow.

When you do get your Kensington lock, let me know how you find it. I'm thinking about getting one myself. That and a 256MB SD card to replace the ancient USB pen drive I currently use.

David

Cobos

#6 Post by Cobos » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:19 am

JHEM: A very good point :) and I was 99.9% convince anyway when I asked the question as you said I've only found good things said about him all over the net.

DavidNZ: I will get extra RAM but IBM is even charging more for it than in we pay here in Norway so I'm thinking I'll add that after I've tried it first...I'm downgrading from a 21'' CRT and a 17'' CRT so I guess that'll take some time yes :)... But I'll try to do a mini-review when I do get it, but that wont be for almost another month since that's when I arrive in the US on vacation.

Cobos

DavidNZ

#7 Post by DavidNZ » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:00 am

You could save a bit of dosh and get non-IBM RAM. I think mine is a Kingston SODIMM - can't recall as I spent a total of one minute opening the package it came in and another minute installing it myself.

Look forward to your review. I'm thinking of doing one myself now that I've had it for a few days now.

David

JaneL
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#8 Post by JaneL » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:41 am

>Two minutes spent reading the bountiful praise for Bill's services over the years both here and in the original forums at www.thinkpads.com should calm any fears you might entertain.
>

And another two minutes with Google should cap them completely. I don't think I've ever seen a complaint about Bill's service here, on IBM's old CompuServe forum, on comp.sys.laptops or the ibm.ibm.thinkpads newsgroups or on the ThinkPad mailing list.
Jane
2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X300, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga 3 Pro
Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Facebook group
I'm on Twitter

I do NOT respond to PM or e-mail requests for personal tech support.

Cobos

#9 Post by Cobos » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:00 pm

I did actually do a Google search and couldn't find anything but neutral or positive comments about him, otherwise I wouldn't even consider doing wire transfer to an "unknown" person :)
But I'm finalizing my order now :)

Cobos

sktn77a
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#10 Post by sktn77a » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:59 pm

The Targus Defcon CL (combination Kensington lock) works great with the thinkpads. Get it off e-bay though (usually $5.00 plus about the same shipping). Better that the $30-$40 that the retail chains charge!
Keith
(Formerly 600E, T21, T30, T40, T41, 2xT42, 2xT61p, T420, 2x Ideapad K1)
(Currently 4xT430, 2xT460, H520S, M910q, M920q, M70q)

kengetz

Send your money

#11 Post by kengetz » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:40 am

Hey, I went to the bank, got cash for a T42P, and DROVE over to Bill's house to pick up my laptop (I have a place about 30 minutes from his home). If that's not service...

Believe me, this is one time where you actually CAN trust people on the web. -- Ken

Cobos

#12 Post by Cobos » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:37 pm

Just thought I'd mention that I'm now home from my vacation in the states and I've got my IBM X40 now...everything went smooth and I'm very happy with the service from Bill (even though he is almost as absentminded as I am :)
I've also done a minireview and commented/recommended Bill's service on Norways largest hardware forum Hardware.no, though the forum is in Norwegian so I doubt anyone can understand it :)

Cobos