Update: I have released a new version of the Linux Live CD to patch these errors. It will also work with newer Atheros Cards that previously could not be patched. Go to the Thinkwiki page linked below for further details.
Linux live CD to remove the 1802 and 01C9 POST errors
For information on the problem, read this thread
first. Instead of many "thank you" replies, please show your appreciation by contributing to the Thinkwiki, for example by expanding the list of Thinkpads affected by the 01C9 error. Here is the link.
Problem/Bug discussion as well as detailed success reports (PCI ID's of cards, Thinkpad models) are welcome.
Massive credit goes to all contributors to this project: LtTPfan with his constant support, Borg Number One, Vojtech Pavlek for the Linux no-1802, mjg59 for his website, Paul Sladen for tons of helpful information and suggestions and most of all wulu
, who created the current code and put it all together on this live CD.
--> This patch does not change the way your card is recognized by the operating system or drivers. You do not need to uninstall your card drivers before applying it.
DISCLAIMER: This software was designed FOR ATHEROS CARDS ONLY. It has undergone only minimal beta testing and can harm your computer. The authors are in no way to be held liable for any damage caused by this program. There is no warranty given, either express or implied for any fitness for any kind of purpose. YOU AGREE TO USE THIS ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
1. If you want to use this to remove the 1802 error, do not install your Atheros card yet.
2. Burn the ISO to a CD or DVD. Make sure to open the image instead of burning it as a regular file on the disc.
3. Boot from the CD.
4. If you choose to remove the 1802 error, do so and reboot with Ctrl-Alt-Del.
5. If not already present, install the Atheros card now and boot from the CD.
6. Choose not to apply the no-1802.
7. Select your Atheros card from the list. MAKE SURE IT'S THE CORRECT ONE, a wrong selection may cause damage!
8. Shut down by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del, turn the machine off and on.