thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 The thinkpads support forum is now hosting legacy model ThinkPad driver and driver updates..
A link is provided in the MENUBAR just above for registered forum members only..

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I would give my left ...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:05 pm 
Freshman Member

I would give my left ... for a 5400 or 7200 hard drive for my x40. Will these drives come out any time soon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:17 pm 

I wouldn't hold your breath on these. These drives are gonna be used in a lot of personal electronics, which don't probably don't need high transfer rates.

With that said, the HD speed on my x40 is the bottleneck in an otherwise speedy system.

I briefly had a Sony U50 which also uses a 1.8 in drive (although I think from Toshiba) and it was just as slow. Installing XP or long disk operations take about 2x as long as a normal laptop 5400 rpm drive...

I would keep an eye on Newegg.com, they sell the same hitachi drives, if they speed up the drives, I bet newegg would eventually carry them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:12 pm 
Sophomore Member

I'm trying to decide between the x40 and x31. I'll likely get the x31 due to the lack of a 5400 or 7200 drive for the x40. I fear stinkypete's analysis is correct, and that we'll see higher capacity drives, such as the recently announced 1.8" 60gb drive, but it'll be a long while until there is a fast 1.8"