Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

generic ram in x31

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
hnq
Freshman Member

generic ram in x31

#1 Post by hnq » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:07 am

Are there any negatives to using generic RAM (such as kingston's valuram)? They are quite a bit cheaper - a 1 gig was less than 1/2 the price of a comparable crucial 1 gig. If there is no difference, which 1 gig valuram should I buy? Thanks!

www.valuram.com

Txiasaeia
Sophomore Member

#2 Post by Txiasaeia » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:21 am

I know that, for desktops anyway, using generic ram is okay if you're not planning on overclocking. I think that Thinkpads are a little more picky when it comes to RAM, so the most important feature is that you can return the rAM if it doesn't work ;) Besides, doesn't kingston have a longer warranty period? I went with Crucial & haven't regretted it.

richarddd
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by richarddd » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:16 am

I've used RAM from Crucial in Thinkpads for years and have never had a problem

hnq
Freshman Member

#4 Post by hnq » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:53 am

I've read that ram from crucial very good. I was wondering about valuram (by kingston). The valuram is about 1/2 the price of the Crucial ram and is also 1/2 the price of the normal Kingston ram. I've had too much experience of "you get what you pay for" - so I was wondering if anyone can vouch for ValuRam. And if they can, which one I should get.

Thanks!

I spoke with kingston today and found that Valuram is built from different components that their other ram. I also found that if you use valuram in a thinkpad (where mfg specific ram is available) there is no warranty or return. :cry: