Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

did i pay too much for x24 on ebay?

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
jealouse

did i pay too much for x24 on ebay?

#1 Post by jealouse » Wed May 19, 2004 9:01 pm

well i was originally planning to get a small notebook for under $800 on ebay... but somewhere along the bidding war, i lost control of myself and ended up bidding for $1050(before shipping) for X24. i'm fairly satisfied with the notebook but can't help but wonder if i paid a bid too much.

(btw, i got this notebook just under 2 weeks ago)

here's some major specs
1.13 GHz CPU
640M Main Memory(128+512)
80 Gig HDD (upgraded from 30Gig)
Integrated wireless lan

that's about it, i guess... did i overpay? what are your thoughts? :)

oh, btw, it's got this little W2K license sticker attacked on the bottom of the machine but it didn't come with any CD. Can I order one from IBM for free? or do i have to pay for it?

Or, since I have the W2K license code, i won't be breaking any law if i install W2K with this number?

thanx for ur comment in advance

G-Man
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: did i pay too much for x24 on ebay?

#2 Post by G-Man » Wed May 19, 2004 10:32 pm

I think it's a pretty good price. The extra 512Mb RAM, and the 80Gb HD definitely worth it. Would be better if it was a X30, but X24 is a very nice machine. Just call IBM, tell them you need a recovery CD set for X24, and they will send it to you for a small fee. Here is the Recovery CD FRU list. You might be able to order Win XP. Do you have any OS running on it now? If you have Win 2k, during booting you can press F11 for recovery. The message should appear on the top of the screen.

Regards,
G-Man

csv96

#3 Post by csv96 » Wed May 19, 2004 10:51 pm

Did it come with the X2 Ultrabase and a CD-RW/DVD Combo drive? Warranty? Good overall condition? Price is a little high, but not unreasonable.
Thinkpad X200s w/ Ultrabase
C2D SL9600 / 8GB / 160GB X25-M G2 / BD MULTI / 12.1" WXGA / INTEL 4500MHD / INTEL 5150 / BT / AT&T WWAN / W7

erik
Moderator-Emeritus
Moderator-Emeritus

Re: did i pay too much for x24 on ebay?

#4 Post by erik » Thu May 20, 2004 1:20 pm

jealouse wrote:oh, btw, it's got this little W2K license sticker attacked on the bottom of the machine but it didn't come with any CD. Can I order one from IBM for free? or do i have to pay for it?
that sticker is your license no matter how you install w2k.   so, you can either install w2k via the ibm recovery cds or you can install it with a copy of w2k using the number on the license sticker.
jealouse wrote:Or, since I have the W2K license code, i won't be breaking any law if i install W2K with this number?
you'd technically be breaking the license agreement if you install w2k without using that number.   but again, the recovery cd installation is also perfectly legal so you only need to worry about that license number if you install a clean version of w2k.

to get the recovery cds, call IBM at 800-388-7080 and select the option for parts tech support.   tell them you want to get a set of w2k recovery cds for your X24.   the normal cost for the cds is $35.   please note that ibm will not, under any circumstances, send recovery cds for any other operating system (like xp) due to license restrictions.

good luck with your new X!

-erik
ThinkStation P700 | ThinkPad X1C7

jealouse

thanx guys

#5 Post by jealouse » Thu May 20, 2004 9:29 pm

thank you for all ur help!