Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

I can't get Bluetooth working on my X40

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
tbessie
Sophomore Member

I can't get Bluetooth working on my X40

#1 Post by tbessie » Wed May 26, 2004 5:48 am

I've been up all night trying to get this working... when I install the IBM Bluetooth software (latest version), the "Bluetooth Neighborhood" and Bluetooth Taskbar icon don't bring up anything when I double-click on them. Right-clicking on the taskbar icon, or double-clicking on Bluetooth Properties in the contol panel brings up a "Bluetooth Device Not Found" message.

The X40 I have comes with Bluetooth integrated, and my Palm Tungsten T2 manages to see my computer's Bluetooth radio, but my X40 doesn't seem to be able to see my Palm, and the Palm's attempts to send files to the X40 via Bluetooth all fail with an "Unable to send" message.

Anyone got around these problems yet?

- Tim

cynic

#2 Post by cynic » Wed May 26, 2004 6:10 am

Sounds like you've got the Windows Bluetooth stack and the IBM Bluetooth stack installed concurrently. If you do a search of the T forums, how to fix this was explained.

eriqesque

#3 Post by eriqesque » Wed May 26, 2004 9:05 am

1. Turn the Bluetooth power on.
2. Click Start -> Control Panel.
3. Click Performance and Maintenance and then click System.
4. Click Hardware tab, then click Device Manager. button.
5. Double Click Bluetooth Radios.
6. Double Click IBM Integrated Bluetooth II or IBM Integrated
Bluetooth III.
7. Click Driver tab, then click Update Driver... button.
8. Select Install from a list or specific location then click Next
button.
9. Select Don't search. I will choose the driver to install, then
click Next button.
10. Select one without the Digital Signed icon, then click Next.
11. When a pop-up window appears, click Continue Anyway button.
12. Click Finish button to close window.

tbessie
Sophomore Member

Actually, I've done all that and it still doesn't work

#4 Post by tbessie » Wed May 26, 2004 12:31 pm

I saw that solution given on IBM's website, and followed them, and I still get the same results. I wonder if it's time to call IBM?

- Tim

Leeper
Sophomore Member

#5 Post by Leeper » Wed May 26, 2004 2:09 pm

It sounds like a simple question but is the bluetooth card turned on? I always have to turn my card on (Fn-F5) before it works

tbessie
Sophomore Member

Yes indeed...

#6 Post by tbessie » Wed May 26, 2004 2:27 pm

... the card is turned on.

cynic

Re: Actually, I've done all that and it still doesn't work

#7 Post by cynic » Wed May 26, 2004 9:23 pm

tbessie wrote:I saw that solution given on IBM's website, and followed them, and I still get the same results. I wonder if it's time to call IBM?

- Tim
In Device Manager, go to View and turn on "Show Hidden Devices"
Make sure your Bluetooth is turned on.

In:
Bluetooth Devices should show "IBM Integrated Bluetooth II" The Driver provider should be WIDCOMM and it should be unsigned

Bluetooth Radios has "Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator"-- this one should disappear if "show hidden devices is turned off" It should always show as not functioning.

cynic

#8 Post by cynic » Wed May 26, 2004 9:24 pm

Also, don't forget you to have to pair devices before sending data. (I'm assuming you've used BT before on other devices)

tbessie
Sophomore Member

Answer to your suggestions...

#9 Post by tbessie » Thu May 27, 2004 12:28 am

In Device Manager, go to View and turn on "Show Hidden Devices"
Make sure your Bluetooth is turned on.

In:
Bluetooth Devices should show "IBM Integrated Bluetooth II" The Driver provider should be WIDCOMM and it should be unsigned

Bluetooth Radios has "Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator"-- this one should disappear if "show hidden devices is turned off" It should always show as not functioning

In "Bluetooth Devices" I see "IBM Integrated Bluetooth III" (I installed it from the IBM website) and "Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator". The "Ibm Integrated Bluetooth III" has "Actiontec" as provider and Signed, by "Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher".

"Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator" does not disappear when I unselect "Show hidden devices".

Also, don't forget you to have to pair devices before sending data. (I'm assuming you've used BT before on other devices)

Hmm... I don't know what you mean, I've never used BT before. I *did* "log in" to my computer's Bluetooth device from my Tungsten (provided a passcode)... is that what you mean?

- Tim

tbessie
Sophomore Member

Okay! Talked with IBM support and got it working!

#10 Post by tbessie » Thu May 27, 2004 1:24 am

There was a *second* driver (update to the first one) which I had to install, and it was the UN-signed version. A bit convoluted, but it looks like it'll work now. *whew!*

I'm glad IBM support folks actually seem to know what they're talking about (although I *did* have to use a bit of my own computer expertise while talking with the guy).

Thanks for all the suggestions, anyway, folks!

- Tim