Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Couple of missing drivers

IBM or Lenovo Desktops, Workstations, ThinkStations, etc. Recent vintage, hardware/software..
liliggyracin
Freshman Member

Couple of missing drivers

#1 Post by liliggyracin » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:53 am

Ok I am going completely nuts. I have an 8811-DMU and I am putting a custom image of Windows XP Pro on it. I am still missing 2 drivers in Device manager that are splatted out.

Once claims to be a PCI Serial port
the other is a PCI Communications Device.

Im going crazy trying to find it and SystemUpdate of course is of no help at all. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks

leoblob

#2 Post by leoblob » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:05 pm

I think this is what you're looking for...

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-66441
TP360 • TP365x • i1452 • TP T42 • Intellistation Z Pro

liliggyracin
Freshman Member

#3 Post by liliggyracin » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:52 pm

Thanks I have tried every driver on that machine and still nothing. I have checked and double checked two or three times to make sure. Still the same thing.

Unknown Devices:
PCI Serial Port
PCI Communications Controller.

Im getting frustrated at this thing. :flame:

leoblob

#4 Post by leoblob » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:04 pm

That "PCI Communications controller" sounds like it could be a modem. If you have a modem card, try physically removing it.

The serial port could be affected by the Intel Chipset software... I assume you've already tried that... ?? Are you even using the serial port on your machine?

I've had similar problems on other machines over the years. If everything you want to use is working OK, then I'd consider simply disabling the unknown devices in device manager.

Otherwise, click on the offending device, pick update or install drivers, and manually point it to various subdirectories on your hard drive which seem promising.

Hope this all doesn't sound like lousy advice... they are the "solutions" I've learned to live with for "unknown devices."
TP360 • TP365x • i1452 • TP T42 • Intellistation Z Pro

ryengineer
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#5 Post by ryengineer » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:08 pm

Have you tried ThinkVantage System Update?

Another way of solving this problem of missing drivers is to use your PC for a few days to figure out what's not working properly.
"I've come a long, long way," she said, "and I will go as far,
With the man who takes me from my horse, and leads me to a bar."
The man who took her off her steed, and stood her to a beer,
Were a bleary-eyed Surveyor and a DRUNKEN ENGINEER.

liliggyracin
Freshman Member

#6 Post by liliggyracin » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:32 pm

Yeah have used the system update. I use it regularly. We are switching to 95 percent lenovo computers over the next 3 years replacing almost 400 machines. So Ive become Quite familiar with Lenovos lately :P

On a side note. I had installed a Modem and was wondering if that was the problem. It was a US Robotics (These particular units will be used for Helpdesk issues and testing Dial-up connections) I took it out rebooted they stayed there so I removed rebooted and they came back so thats not the issue. I have used a program called Unknown Device Identifier 5.02 and it labels the manufacturer for both as Intel Corporation so I am leaning towards something on the chipset so I removed the chipset drivers all of them and redownloaded. Still nothing. Any ideas?

leoblob

#7 Post by leoblob » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:50 pm

What additional information (if any) does that unidentified device program show for those devices?

(and where did you find that program?)

Have you tried Intel's site to see if there's any information about the chip set on that motherboard, which might help point to the problem?

liliggyracin
Freshman Member

#8 Post by liliggyracin » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:19 pm

leoblob wrote:What additional information (if any) does that unidentified device program show for those devices?

(and where did you find that program?)

Have you tried Intel's site to see if there's any information about the chip set on that motherboard, which might help point to the problem?
Finally I found it. It was the AMT SOL driver and the HECI driver. Not sure why Systemupdate didnt show them but anyway I went to the intel boards and looked around and figured that had to be it so I went to lenovo and searched for it and found it (I must have overlooked them 100 times) anyway its all better now. I can send you the link to that program in PM if you want. I dont feel comfortable posting links on any forum :P but I assure you it worked nicely and if you feel like putting the link here go right ahead.

Thanks to you all for helping :)

leoblob

#9 Post by leoblob » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:34 pm

Glad you got everything worked out! ... what are AMT SOL and HECI ??

Yes, please, if you can PM me the link. I won't post it.

Thanks! Bob

liliggyracin
Freshman Member

#10 Post by liliggyracin » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:32 am

leoblob wrote:Glad you got everything worked out! ... what are AMT SOL and HECI ??

Yes, please, if you can PM me the link. I won't post it.

Thanks! Bob
AMT SOL - Active Management Technology Serial over Lan driver

HECI - Host Embedded Controller Interface driver

Both are part of the intel board and neither loaded with the chipset drivers but they are there now :)

Thanks!!