Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

NVCACHE ?

Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
artl

NVCACHE ?

#1 Post by artl » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:23 pm

I keep getting the following popup message "You are running out of space on NVCACHE (D:) to free space on this drive by deleting old or unnecessary files, click here". I click on the icon it points to in the tray & a disk cleanup options box tells me that I have 0 bytes in the files & I will gain 0 bytes if I use cleanup.
What's going on here & how do I stop it?

Btw I did not put the smiley after the D above it's supposed to be a read D: )

ryengineer
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#2 Post by ryengineer » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:03 pm

"I've come a long, long way," she said, "and I will go as far,
With the man who takes me from my horse, and leads me to a bar."
The man who took her off her steed, and stood her to a beer,
Were a bleary-eyed Surveyor and a DRUNKEN ENGINEER.

aaa
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#3 Post by aaa » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:26 pm

I suppose you can disable ReadyBoost and get rid of that drive, but there's probably a way to fix it and keep it.

artl

#4 Post by artl » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:41 pm

What is NVCACH (D: )? I've searched & don't see any refrence to it. Is it a virtual drive? I've got access to another laptop & it doesn't happen there. Could this have something to do with the Intel turbo memory? Both laptops run Vista.

MOD EDIT: Moved second time after mentioning of Operating System.

Kyocera
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Location: North Carolina, ...in my mind I'm going to Carolina.....

#5 Post by Kyocera » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:11 pm

Being one of the few mechanical components in a typical computer system, hard drives consume a significant amount of the overall power used by a computer. Spinning down a hard drive reduces its power consumption, but only works when no disk accesses occur, limiting overall effectiveness. We have designed and implemented a technique to extend disk spin-down times using a small non-volatile storage cache called NVCache, which contains a combination of caching techniques to service reads and writes while the hard disk is in low-power mode. We show that combining NVCache with an adaptive disk spin-down algorithm, a hard disk’s power consumption can be reduced by up to 90%.

DAH

#6 Post by DAH » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:55 pm

By any chance do you have the Seagate Momentus 160gb with 256mb Flash ram? If you go to device manager do you see a NVCache tab for your drive? If not you might want to try running this hot fix, kb933242.

You don't list what computer you have, or what equipment, it also possible this is related to Intel turbo memory. It is related I believe to a nonvolatile cache on your system.
Image ThinkPad T60p T7600 4 GB RAM 320 GB 7200 RPM HD Vista Ultimate Service Pack 2 5.1 4.7 4.2 4.6 5.8

artl

#7 Post by artl » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:55 pm

Sysrem is t61p t7500 hd is Hitachi 200gb bios 2.4 Vista home premium. Seems like issue is related to the Nvdia card. In system information I think it's listed as drive D.

Muse

Re: NVCACHE ?

#8 Post by Muse » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:52 am

I'm having a similar problem. Says to free up files on NVCACHE but when I go to do so it says I will free up 0 bytes and there's nothing in my Recycle Bin to delete. This is highly mysterious and the messages pop up occasionally and I don't know what to do to stop them. Someone suggested getting rid of the caching drive and I went through the steps but the drive remains. :| I believe it has to do with an option I chose when setting up the computer, it's a T61, and I'm running Win7 Ultimate 64. Maybe it's worthwhile keeping the cache drive, but there must be some way to stop these confounding unproductive popups with no discernible means of working out the problem.
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

Dec. 2010: Now thought to be over 11 miles wide!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#9 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:53 pm

Do you have TurboMem?
That might be the culprit.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

Muse

#10 Post by Muse » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:38 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:Do you have TurboMem?
That might be the culprit.
Yeah, I think so. Is it pretty much not important? Uninstall it?
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#11 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:30 pm

Just remove the turbomem card from under the palmrest/keyboard.
Then see if the problem is gone.

Muse

#12 Post by Muse » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:20 am

Is there a tradeoff? Is that card useful? The messages are infrequent, so it's not a big annoyance at the present time.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#13 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:08 pm

I have/had 5 T61 machines, all used. 3 of them came with TurboMem and in all 3 of them faulty TurboMem prohibited proper working.
Removed it in those machines, and never looked back. They work great (without TM).
Since I never had a working TurboMem, I can't say anything about possible (dis)advantages.

Q: why does it need two days to solve such a simple problem? Open the darned thing and pull that card out...

Bánh mì
Sophomore Member

#14 Post by Bánh mì » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:21 pm

I don't have any probs with my turbo mem. Gives the machine a nice snappy boost at times.
Có một ngày tuyệt vời!

Return to “Windows OS (Versions prior to Windows 7)”