Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

KVM Switch

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
leesiulung
Sophomore Member

KVM Switch

#1 Post by leesiulung » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:27 am

I am thinking of getting a KVM switch. Reading on this forum it seems like a lot of people had bad experience using a KVM switch with thinkpads. Have anyone successfully used a particular brand/model, if so please post. Share your experience...

I am looking for a KVM swithc with Audio support and USB device sharing.

lvlolvlo
Sophomore Member

#2 Post by lvlolvlo » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:00 am

I used an IOGear switch that I bought from Buy.com for 19.99 and shipping was free =). Works fine for me I just use the scroll lock button to switch.

Only problem is that it only has mouse, keyboard, and monitor switch not USB and Sound sorry mate

garnetbobcat

KVM Switch hang/freeze

#3 Post by garnetbobcat » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:49 am

lvlolvlo,

what model of IOGear KVM do you have?

I have a GCS62 and it isn't working right. I am using a Port Replicator II with my T42. Keyboard and Video are fine on the setup, but when I plug in the mouse cable from the KVM the laptop either won't boot, or the mouse will work for a second and then hang.

If I plug a mouse into the PS/2 port directly on the back of the replicator, it boots/works fine, however.

Did you by some crazy chance encounter and find a remedy for this problem with your IOGear? Of course other people are welcome to weigh in! Thanks!

halwyman

Re: KVM Switch hang/freeze

#4 Post by halwyman » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:12 pm

I have an Iogear Extreme 4-port USB KVM switch with a similar problem. The usb connector for (keyboard and mouse) must be plugged into the T42, not the mini-dock. It had previously worked fine plugged in to the dock on my former laptop, a Sony VAIO. It also works fine on the two desktop machines that are connected to the switch. I suspect the problem has to do with cascading USB hubs.

hw
garnetbobcat wrote:lvlolvlo,

Did you by some crazy chance encounter and find a remedy for this problem with your IOGear? Of course other people are welcome to weigh in! Thanks!

garnetbobcat

Reply from IOGear

#5 Post by garnetbobcat » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:16 pm

I just received this response from IOGear regarding my situation:

Greetings,

Please ensure that you are using a native wired mouse and keyboard as wireless devices or any types of converters/adapters are NOT supported and will not work. Also docking stations or port replicator will interfere with proper KVM functionality and special keys on multimedia keyboards are not supported and will not work and we do not have any work-arounds to get them to work. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks.

Service Support

Bummer.

#6 Post by Guest » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:11 pm

I am thinking of getting the IOgear GCS632U, but hearing about all these problems I am now not sure. Bummer that it does not work with the mini dock.. I am very surprised...

I thought that getting a USB version will mostly solve all the problems. As I read on a different thread, apparently the PS2 does not work due to IBM Thinkpads using one of the pins on the ps2 for their own use which conflicts IOgear using it for cascading switches.

lvlolvlo:
Do you use your switch with a dock or port replicator? What model thinkpad do you have? What model is the IOgear switch?

JohnDrake
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by JohnDrake » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:34 am

For some KVM's to work, the "enhanced" boot startup must be used...it adds some additional delay/detection cycles for keyboard/mouse....

You set it in the CMOS. Also, make sure your BIOS and embedded controller firmware are current.

edcard

#8 Post by edcard » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:59 pm

I'll try the "enhanced boot" setting and see if it works.

Otherwise, it seems that as long as you use a USB KVM switch, or a PS/2 unit and a PS/2-to-USB adapter, you should be fine. See this thread for more info:

Let's talk about KVM switches

#9 Post by Guest » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:47 am

Well a lot of problems seem to occur with the different docks and replicators. Do anyone have any experience with this combination?

Again looking to buy a GCS632U and use it with my minidock on a X31. The KVM will be connected to a USB mouse and keyboard.

leesiulung
Sophomore Member

#10 Post by leesiulung » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:06 pm

edcard wrote:I'll try the "enhanced boot" setting and see if it works.

Otherwise, it seems that as long as you use a USB KVM switch, or a PS/2 unit and a PS/2-to-USB adapter, you should be fine. See this thread for more info:

Let's talk about KVM switches
I can't seem to find the "enhanced boot" setting in the BIOS of my X31. Anyhow, I finally acquired the GSC632U and it works with the thinkpad only when the USB cable is connected to the laptop. It does not work connected to the USB port of the Mini Dock....

I will play around with it more... Anyone with suggestions let me know.

leesiulung
Sophomore Member

#11 Post by leesiulung » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:17 pm

Ok, so I narrowed down the problem.

The KVM has 2 ports for USB Keyboard and Mouse and each is specifically designated and labeled. I inadvertedly had them connected opposite and the keyboard work, but the mouse did not. When discovered and fixed it the mouse worked but not the keyboard.

So in Windows XP, when the keyboard is not working it shows up in the USB hardware list, and shows the keyboard as unknown devic. Connecting the kvm straight to the laptop and the mouse and keyboard is detected and works fine.

I don't know but it might be the dock is not supplying enough power to the devices???

edit: The keyboard is an IBM USB keyboard that does not need drivers.