Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

How to turn on WLAN-device out of Windows?

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
skyphab

How to turn on WLAN-device out of Windows?

#1 Post by skyphab » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:07 pm

Hi there!

I hope you can help me :)
I got a R51 and want to experiment a little bit with Knoppix. I now have the problem that i can't turn on my WLAN-device, which is in Windows done with the Fn+F5 combination.

When I hit Fn+F5 outside of Windows, the Bluetooth-adapter is turned on, but I can't find a way to turn on my WLAN-device:?: :cry:

MadeInJapan

#2 Post by MadeInJapan » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:30 pm

You are asking for a very unusual thing to happen. Check this out:
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/102/wl ... ronet.html
It is probably possible, but if in DOS, your NTFS isn't recognized, so your windows file system will not be accessable, unless of course, you run your Windows with FAT/FAT32. You follow me?

#3 Post by Guest » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:40 am

Thanks, i see :)
If it works with Dos-drivers it won't work for me, because I want to have my WLAN-device activated in Knoppix/Linux. It's strange, isn't anyone using Linux with the ThinkPads?

I know a colleague does and he successfully mastered this problem. As soon as he is back I'll ask him.

I also have an external Netgear WLAN-device, but i didn't get it with that one either. Strange, so I better stay with Windows. But thanks anyway :)

MadeInJapan

#4 Post by MadeInJapan » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:03 pm

Do a search for WiFi on Google...and then within that search, search further with "linux." You'll find plenty of stuff. For instance, I just did that and my first find was this:
http://www.xanadb.com/archive/linux/200308061818