Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

sell my t41p?? sony Vaio VGN-S2XP

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
would
Freshman Member

sell my t41p?? sony Vaio VGN-S2XP

#1 Post by would » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:34 am

hello,

i'm thinking about selling my T41p 2373GEG and buy one of this new cute sony things.

does anybody know anything about quality (sony)?
is this a bad idea??
what do you think?

i'm really glad with my T41p - but the sony would be a little bit smaller and lighter too - DVD+_ R,.....

http://vaio.sony-europe.com/ShowProduct ... t=VGN-S2XP

thanks for your answers
Thinkpad T400, 14,1" LG LED Screen, T9550, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB 7200rpm, Intel 5300 a/g/n, BT, 3G, Switchable graphics, DVD Multiburner Rambo VI, Sanyo 9Cell Battery, ...

Zeitgeist

#2 Post by Zeitgeist » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:54 am

You will be really dissapointed, Sony has a lousy support, expensive hotline. I had a Vaio- never again.

What about an IBM X40 if your T41 is too big?
Regards, Zeitgeist

SimonCC

#3 Post by SimonCC » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:56 am

my brother has this laptop and im afraid that in comparison to ibms they are toys. Its feels flimsy and the keyboard is cramped and does flex quite a bit. The screen is annoying because it is overly reflective which will get to you in an office environment especially. The mouse buttons are also rubbish even though they look good but the sony is very quiet and runs cool, and yes it is very portable. If i were you i would never go to this machine instead of a tp, at least, if you really have to, consider the fujitsu lifebook series! :wink:

sugo
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by sugo » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:27 pm

If you can find a store that carries it, go and take a look in person. The screen has stunning contrast, clarity and brightness. The reflection bothers some people, but I don't find it an issue.

Many sony S owners find the fan relatively loud. Someone actually plans to try putting a ULV on it just to lower the noise.

If you find the screen ground breaking and if there is place you can buy and return the S without much hassle, it might be worth taking the adventure to "try" it out. Otherwise I wouldn't give up the trustworthy T41 that you are happy with.

I was in a similar debate on S170 (US model) vs T42 5 months ago.

wuy30

#5 Post by wuy30 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:30 pm

my friend has this laptop, and like other says.. the screen is beautiful. When I asked my other friend who works for Acer. She told me that the screen is actually not good on the eyes and in the long run (forgot the reason, sorry). I find the screen reflection annoying also. The keyboard sucks on this laptop, and I find it's a lot more expensin then T series. For example. My T series costed about 1875 USD, Sony with almost the same spec except for the DVDRW cost about 2500 USD (all prices are in 3 months old and From Taiwan)

So in conclusion. If you want a solid lappy, go for IBM, if you want something shinny, cool to look at it, go for the Sony

edelrc

#6 Post by edelrc » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:57 pm

What did you like most about the Thinkpad? And the worst?

Sony are good, (compared with other commercial laptops). Are great if you edit lots of videos and in a party they really leaves a sensation.

But as some said here, if you´re going to spend 8 hours in a row in from of the screen, need something more solid or more (probably) reliable, you will be better with the Thinkpad.

Sony are not bad, just of a different nature. You have to decide what your priorities are.
X220t IPS but but a bit unhappy with it
T60p 2007-93U 1600x1200 IPS (T42p is an overall better machine though. Lack of new IPS Thinkpads keeps me buying these older models!)
T42p 2373-KXU 1600x1200 IPS (The best ever!!)
A20p 2629-6UU 1400x1050 (My first Thinkpad!)

aleung
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by aleung » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:39 pm

Zeitgeist wrote:You will be really dissapointed, Sony has a lousy support, expensive hotline. I had a Vaio- never again.

What about an IBM X40 if your T41 is too big?
Well.. sorry.. you are totally wrong. Why you call lousy support ?
it should be no support. I bought the picturebook when it come out from japan. they stop support it within a year and the lousy bios have big acpi bugs. My sony DVD+/-RW die after 1 year. When they come up with new product. they will stop supporting their old product. That's SONY

aleung
Sophomore Member

#8 Post by aleung » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:42 pm

edelrc wrote:What did you like most about the Thinkpad? And the worst?

Sony are good, (compared with other commercial laptops). Are great if you edit lots of videos and in a party they really leaves a sensation.

But as some said here, if you´re going to spend 8 hours in a row in from of the screen, need something more solid or more (probably) reliable, you will be better with the Thinkpad.

Sony are not bad, just of a different nature. You have to decide what your priorities are.
Well.. Sony is not computer company. They used to sell consumer product like Tv, VCR and DVD. those don't really have software upgrade/support.

edelrc

#9 Post by edelrc » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:48 pm

aleung, i am not defending Sony. If you had read a post I put a couple of days ago about Sony having pressed Panasonic (our DVD-RAM devices) to be not just locked up to a region, but the drive has even designed for not to even read or be flashed... you will now i took the stand to boicot Sony/panasonic from now on.

Nevertheless I reconice Sony has develop some laptops that have a defined segment in the market that no other company has taken. Vaios are not for me, but for many people may be ok. As Dells or HPs can be to some other. However, as you mention Vaio´s biggest handicap is the support. They are full of media features and shining, yet the become fad after a while and our ThinkPads will have a "presence" in any enviroment for many years to come
X220t IPS but but a bit unhappy with it
T60p 2007-93U 1600x1200 IPS (T42p is an overall better machine though. Lack of new IPS Thinkpads keeps me buying these older models!)
T42p 2373-KXU 1600x1200 IPS (The best ever!!)
A20p 2629-6UU 1400x1050 (My first Thinkpad!)

aleung
Sophomore Member

#10 Post by aleung » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:57 am

i am not talking about their DVD drive. I am talking about their support in general. How long is their product get support ? i think only 1 year. when they have new model come up. they will stop supporting old product. Let say about DVD burner. did you see they still update the 500AX ? since the newer model come out. they already stop release new firmware. I bought the first generation picturebook when it come out from japan. It come with win98se. when you try to install WinME on it. the acpi/apm in bios have problem. you can't suspend/hilbrate the machine. But they SONY announce they stop supportinge machine. Sony is for someone who use don't care about their computer.. they may only go online chat with friend or those kind.

would
Freshman Member

#11 Post by would » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:21 am

hey guys,
i'm really happy with my T41p. i won't exchange it (after all your postings).
I only thought the Sony would be an option.
When i think about the VAIO Desktops at work i should definitely keep my IBM. (Sony: lousy quality, ....)
But i thought that it could be different with their notebooks.

Thanks
Thinkpad T400, 14,1" LG LED Screen, T9550, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB 7200rpm, Intel 5300 a/g/n, BT, 3G, Switchable graphics, DVD Multiburner Rambo VI, Sanyo 9Cell Battery, ...

WilsonF
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#12 Post by WilsonF » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:48 am

I have a friend in Germany who went from an X23 to a Sony and back to an X40 with very negative opinions on the Sony unit and Sony support. He said he would never consider a Sony laptop again.
Wilson
Since 1993, TP 720, 760, 760 CD, 770, A22p, T22, X23 (still fully functional), T40p, T42p, T43 (this and subsequent systems all still in use), T60p, X60T, T61p, X61T, T500 (switchable graphics), X201T, X220

daeojkim
ThinkPad Partner
ThinkPad Partner

#13 Post by daeojkim » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:59 pm

Before I bought my T42 I was debating whether to buy a Z1 or T42. My friend had a Z1 and it looked good and I liked it so I was considering to buy one. After few suggestions here and there including this forum, I decided to go with IBM. i have to say thank you to all in this forum who gave me suggestion to go for T42.

Recently I took my TP and put it side by side to my friend's Z1. I thought the Z1 had a nice keyboard but after using TP keyboard Z1's felt literally like crap and cheap. The hard drive was noisy making the annoying "kirik kirik sound". The fan on the Z1 was also noisy and it had poor bettery life (about 2.5 hours, my TP 3.5+ hr on the 6 cell battery). Sure sony looks pretty but like someone above said it feels like a toy. TP has timeless conservative design that will not look outdated after few years.

Again about the keyboard, which I believe is one of the most important feature for a computer, my friend after using my TP for few minutes the first thing he said was how he could not believe how nice the keyboard felt.

Customer support is also another issue. I never waited more than 30 seconds before I talked someone at customer support for IBM. I heard otherwise for Sony.

Both are overpriced laptops but IBM's price can definitely be justified for teir quality and support. I cannot say the same for Sony.

I know you are talking aoubt the S series, but if anyone wants to buy a notebook I would recommend IBM 100%. I have dealt with DELL, Compaq, HP, and Sony, none comes to the level of TP.

If portability is what you are looking for I would consider TP X series.
I know that you are talking about S series and not Z but I just want people to stay away from Sony because they can get a real machine for the same price.
* T61* X41 * T500 * Yoga 2

Return to “Thinkpad - General HARDWARE/SOFTWARE questions”