Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

A50 stuck on Iexplorer.exe

IBM or Lenovo Desktops, Workstations, ThinkStations, etc. Recent vintage, hardware/software..
AlexEDI

A50 stuck on Iexplorer.exe

#1 Post by AlexEDI » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:15 am

Hi,

once or twice a day, my desktop Thinkpad A50 I use at work gets in trouble trying to close an Internet Explorer window.
After that, process iexplorer.exe goes up to 50% of the CPU usage and there's no way to use Explorer again. I have to reboot.

thanks for help

AlexEDI

... and dumprep.exe

#2 Post by AlexEDI » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:36 am

it happened again two minutes ago, I noticed another process, dumprep.exe,
taking up to 38% of the CPU for some seconds, then disappeared from the list. I still had the iexplorer.exe taking about 50%.

jdhurst
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by jdhurst » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:59 pm

I moved this to the IBM Desktop thread.

The issue has nothing to do with the Desktop (unless there is a hardware problem). It is more likely the way the software has been set up, or that something causing the problem has been loaded.

My NetVista A30 (similar - not the same) has all known IE and Microsoft updates installed and performs just fine.
... JDH

Merc
Freshman Member

#4 Post by Merc » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:03 pm

dumprep.exe is a serious error text report to MS. Your OS does this whenever a serious error has occurred and then tries to phone home to MS with the dump report.

I would guess that IE has become corrupted or something is interfering with it. Another possibility is your registry has become corrupted. Also, you could have a virus, spyware ot Trojan in the system.

A simple fix would be to upgrade to IE7 or reinstall your present IE. Personally I'd download Firefox and use it instead. It's a better browser IMHO but that may not be possible with a business laptop.

What I would do is the following:
1. Download CrapCleaner and run it. It will clean out all the junk files on your system (uncheck the registry parts in the utility).
2. Download EasyCleaner and Glarysoft registry repairer and do a couple of scans and repairs (do this anyways) I run EasyCleaner on the registry first and then Glarysoft to keep my registry healthy. Now defrag the hard drive.
3. When defrag is done update your virus and spyware utilities and do full scans with each.
4. When complete see if IE works. If not upgrade to IE7 or reinstall your present IE. Personally I'd download Firefox and use it instead. It's a better browser IMHO but that may not be possible with a business laptop.

If none of the above works then you have a bigger problem. Check back in as an OS repair may be needed.
Desktop: Modded Lian Li PC 7077A/Dual Watercooling Loops/Asus P5K Deluxe/Core 2 Q6600 G0 (3400MHz@1.40v)/1 x XFX 8800GTX XXX/8GB Corsair DDR2-1066/PC-P&C 750 Silencer, Win 7 64b, Laptop: Modded Thinkpad R61e/T7300(ES)/2GB PC5300 VS-Corsair RAM/100GB 7.2k RPM HDD, Intel 4965 wireless mPCIe

AlexEDI

#5 Post by AlexEDI » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:31 am

I already run IE7, and keep it updated.

For some reason, certain websites are extremely slow on my pc, while they work fine on other pc of the same network.
One, for instance, is LinkedIn.
I guess there's a different type of problem, related to cookies or java or I dont know what, that makes my IE to have troubles.

thanks for help

Merc wrote:dumprep.exe is a serious error text

A simple fix would be to upgrade to IE7 or reinstall your present IE. Personally I'd download Firefox and use it instead. It's a better browser IMHO but that may not be possible with a business laptop.

What I would do is the following:
1. Download CrapCleaner and run it. It will clean out all the junk files on your system (uncheck the registry parts in the utility).
2. Download EasyCleaner and Glarysoft registry repairer and do a couple of scans and repairs (do this anyways) I run EasyCleaner on the registry first and then Glarysoft to keep my registry healthy. Now defrag the hard drive.
3. When defrag is done update your virus and spyware utilities and do full scans with each.
4. When complete see if IE works. If not upgrade to IE7 or reinstall your present IE. Personally I'd download Firefox and use it instead. It's a better browser IMHO but that may not be possible with a business laptop.

If none of the above works then you have a bigger problem. Check back in as an OS repair may be needed.