Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Y710 stinks

E.g. 3000, IdeaPad, S- and U-Series, B-Series and so on...
JimL
Sophomore Member

Y710 stinks

#1 Post by JimL » Fri May 09, 2008 9:02 am

This is simply an observation based on the fact that in the thread Lenovo vs Lenovo I ask for replies from people who had gotten good solid performance out of it. I got no replies at all.

It sure makes you wonder what on earth Lenovo is trying to do.

fuscob

#2 Post by fuscob » Sat May 10, 2008 5:01 pm

Such a mature response. :roll:

Did it ever occur to you that (since this is a ThinkPad forum), there may not be that many IdeaPad owners around? Or, perhaps, that no Y710 owner has happened upon your thread yet?

JimL
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by JimL » Wed May 14, 2008 7:00 pm

fuscob wrote: Did it ever occur to you that (since this is a ThinkPad forum), there may not be that many IdeaPad owners around?
What WAS I thinking?? The very idea that Lenovo would have any sort of relationship to ThinkPad!! What wild imaginings!!!

fuscob

#4 Post by fuscob » Wed May 14, 2008 10:55 pm

JimL wrote:What WAS I thinking?? The very idea that Lenovo would have any sort of relationship to ThinkPad!! What wild imaginings!!!
This forum has no official association to Lenovo. It is an independent support forum for ThinkPads.

Perhaps you would be better served by the official Lenovo forums? http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#5 Post by ajkula66 » Sat May 17, 2008 7:44 pm

And, new versions of Y710 with WUXGA LCD and ATi GPU seem quite interesting...
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

JimL
Sophomore Member

#6 Post by JimL » Mon May 19, 2008 7:12 pm

fuscob wrote: This forum has no official association to Lenovo. It is an independent support forum for ThinkPads.
I don't recall that I made any suggestions otherwise.

But since everyone seems incensed that the name Lenovo is used here, perhaps the Ideapad section of this forum should be immediately ripped out!!!!

On the other hand, if this is just a matter of topic police shouting against mentioning the MAKER of ThinkPads on a ThinklPad forum in not exactly the right spot - say so and quit pretending there is no Lenovo presence here.

Perhaps my first suggestion is best. There seems to be a lot of hate toward Lenovo, so remove the IdeaPad part of the forum. (And all parts of the forum on ThinkPads made by Lenovo too!!)
Perhaps you would be better served by the official Lenovo forums?
Thanks.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#7 Post by ajkula66 » Mon May 19, 2008 7:20 pm

JimL, with ideas as radical as yours, why don't you just start a new forum...
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#8 Post by Harryc » Mon May 19, 2008 7:41 pm

fuscob wrote:This forum has no official association to Lenovo. It is an independent support forum for ThinkPads.
Actually, we don't discriminate against any Lenovo or IBM Products with regard to support and the forums go well beyond just (IBM)Thinkpad support. If you take into consideration the fact that all Thinkpads since the T4X series were manufactured by Lenovo, and look at the number of threads dedicated to those later products, it is quite apparent that this is the case. Also, if you look at the structure of the forums, we have tried to include all Lenovo products including Lenovo 3000 Series Laptops, Lenovo ideaPad Series Laptops, and Lenovo Desktops/Workstations/ThinkStations, So you see, we invite all owners of Lenovo products to participate. To the OP JimL, I think your mistake is over-estimating the number of Ideapad owners out there in general, and of those owners the small number who frequent this forum. We added the Ideapads forum the day those models were released and there have been exactly 20 threads started, mostly by members excited about or questioning the feature set of those machines, but not necessarily actual owners looking for help. Out of those same 20 threads there is (1) thread started by an actual owner looking for information on a power adapter. So the fact that that one owner did not answer your question "Are there any folks out there who have actually bought a Y710..", you assumed that there were perhaps 10's or even hundreds of Ideapad owners out there purposely ignoring your thread. I submit that there are very few Ideapad owners who frequent this forum, certainly not the numbers that you assumed. It would not be realistic for a non-owner to reply in that thread because they would have no basis in real experience to comment. As an example, even if there were 10 actual owners who had read your thread but chose not to reply, that still does not provide a reasonable basis for assuming that the Ideapads are in any way inferior products. I would also argue that help forums may be one way to get a feel for some problems that you might encounter on a product, the better place to go for information to make an informed purchase decision are professional reviews, both online and in print. Help forums tend to draw a diverse crowd, many of whom are not technically qualified to comment on long term hardware reliability, performance, software compatibility, or other technical aspects of a purchase decision. There are many folks who frequent help forums that are on the other end of the spectrum as well, but unless you know who they are and seek them out, you're getting that mixed bag.

fuscob

#9 Post by fuscob » Mon May 19, 2008 9:02 pm

Harryc wrote: Actually, we don't discriminate against any Lenovo or IBM Products with regard to support and the forums go well beyond just (IBM)Thinkpad support.
I absolutely understand that; I have no problem with Lenovo at all and in fact I quite like them.

My point was simply that this is (primarily) a ThinkPad forum and thus the support here will generally focus around those machines. I found the OP's post to be rather immature given that his judgment of the machine was based upon the fact that he got no response to his non-ThinkPad-related post when it is clear (as you pointed out) that there is a vast disparity between the number of ThinkPad-related posts and posts regarding other Lenovo products.

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#10 Post by Harryc » Mon May 19, 2008 9:24 pm

Well, lets get to it then since you've repeated it. We do not like putting tags on folks here based on their opinions or statements. Even though we may disagree or think they are 'not mature', flat out calling a strangers remarks immature on a public forum is probably not the best idea in order to preserve the peace. So, since this thread is getting way off topic (not even sure what the original topic was), and the principal parties have said their piece, we'll just close it down and call it a night. To anyone reading this, please be mindful of putting tags on people or their remarks here. It's neither wanted or welcome...at all.

Mod edit - see rule #3 in the forum rules sticky " 3. Ad hominem and personal attacks are not permitted. Criticize the ideas, not the people. An ad hominem attack is a logical fallacy describing the attempt to discredit an argument by merely attacking the credibility of the arguer. Excessive flaming will not be tolerated. Users who verbally assault the character or person of other posters on a regular basis will be banned. Moderator's judgment applies here. "You are wrong" is not a personal attack; "You wrong because you are an idiot" is. "

Return to “Non-ThinkPad Lenovo Laptops”