Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Desktop choice: Tower vs. SFF vs. USFF

IBM or Lenovo Desktops, Workstations, ThinkStations, etc. Recent vintage, hardware/software..
syedj

Desktop choice: Tower vs. SFF vs. USFF

#1 Post by syedj » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:06 pm

I am thinking of donating my slightly out of date HP workstation and getting a ThinkCentre desktop. My requirements are:

1. Being able to change/install a different video card for dual head display. (Very important)
2. Being able to add another hard drive down the road. (Important)
3. Being able to install a PCI wireless card. (Not very important)
4. Low fan noise. (Desirable)

I know a tower or mini-tower will fulfill requirements 1 through 3 but I am not sure if the same can be met by SFF and USFF models. Do SFF and USFF models have empty PCI or PCI-e slots? Can I change/install a separate video card in them? SATA disk(s)?

Why would anyone chose Tower, SFF or USFF besides some power savings and footprint differences?

Thanks in advance.
“Long you live and high you'll fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be.”

gator
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#2 Post by gator » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:18 pm

I don't know about USFF, but SFF thinkcenters do come with an empty PCIE slot, and depending on the model, you might have space for an extra SATA HDD.

One of the reasons for SFF/USFF vs tower is noise level. There was a thread about that a month or two back, just look ...
Now: T60 2613-EKU | T23 2647-9NU | 600X 2645-9FU | HP 100LX
Past: X31 2673-Y13 | T41 2374-3HU | T22 2647-AEU

Rules of the road :thumbs-UP:

syedj

#3 Post by syedj » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:53 pm

Thanks Sri. I did read through that thread and found out that SFF and USFF are much quieter than towers. They mentioned Dell towers for comparison but I think I can safely extrapolate to other brands as well.

Another question, if a SFF and USFF motherboard has integrated video card, can I still install another video card?
“Long you live and high you'll fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be.”

erik
Moderator-Emeritus
Moderator-Emeritus

#4 Post by erik » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:04 pm

syedj wrote:Another question, if a SFF and USFF motherboard has integrated video card, can I still install another video card?
definitely.
ThinkStation P700 | ThinkPad X1C7

Return to “IBM or Lenovo Desktops/Workstations/ThinkStations only”