Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Flashing Orange Battery light

T60/T61 Series
sscalf

Flashing Orange Battery light

#1 Post by sscalf » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:43 pm

Hey every one I have a T60 and today the orange flashing battery light came on and now I cannot use the battery. What can I do and if I cannot do anything Where can I get a Lenovo battery fast and cheap. I have class starting on Wednesday and I really need to have a battery.

Sam
Thinkpad T60 8744-5BU
3gb ram
2.0ghz Core 2 Duo Processor
Hitachi 7K320 320GB
Atheros ABGN
Windows 7 Pro
Biometric Fingerprint reader

DAH

#2 Post by DAH » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:57 pm

In my experience that means your battery has died. Do you have the Lenovo applications installed? In Vista placing the cursor over the battery icon should pop up a message that the battery has suffered irreparable damage and must be replaced. As I recall it will also offer to check your battery to see if it is one of the recalled batteries. If it doesn't you can also go to the Lenovo site and search for recall, they have a tool to check if your battery is one of them. If it is less than a year old contact Lenovo for a replacement. My guess is cheap and first are an unlikely combination. Don't think you'll get one by Wednesday unless you've already order it, now. So most likely you need to call the local stores to see if they by chance have one in stock.
Image ThinkPad T60p T7600 4 GB RAM 320 GB 7200 RPM HD Vista Ultimate Service Pack 2 5.1 4.7 4.2 4.6 5.8

spwhiting@
Freshman Member

#3 Post by spwhiting@ » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:51 pm

It may not be a damaged battery. See below:
Battery status Taken from the T60 Power Indicator

Green: The battery has more than 20% charge.

Orange: The battery has between 5% and 20% charge

Fast blinking orange: The battery has less than 5% charge.

Note: The battery may be charging.

Slow blinking orange: The battery is being charged. When it reaches 20%, the blinking color changes to green.

Slow blinking green: The battery has between 20% and 80% charge, and charging is continuing. When the battery reaches 80% charge, blinking stops, but the charging may continue until the battery is 100% charged.

Note: If the computer is operating on battery power, the Battery status indicator does not work while the computer is turned off or is in standby mode or hibernation mode.
755CD>600> R51 :1836Q4U> T60: 6371CTO.

DAH

#4 Post by DAH » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:09 pm

Here is hoping that spwhiting is correct and I misunderstood what you meant when you said you could not use the battery.

Here is a link to ThinkPad battery will not charge or discharge and gives an "irreparable damage" or "battery cannot be charged" error message The battery testing tool can be reached from this page.

Green:
The battery is charged between 80% to 100% of the capacity, and being discharged between 20% to 80% of the capacity.

Blinking green:
The battery is charged between 20% to 80% of the capacity, and being charged.

Orange:
The battery is charged between 5% and 20% of the capacity, and being discharged.

Blinking orange (slow):
The battery is charged between 5% to 20% of the capacity, and being charged.

Blinking orange (rapid):
The battery is charged between 0% to 5% of the capacity.
Image ThinkPad T60p T7600 4 GB RAM 320 GB 7200 RPM HD Vista Ultimate Service Pack 2 5.1 4.7 4.2 4.6 5.8

gongo2k1
Sophomore Member

#5 Post by gongo2k1 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:14 pm

i'm guessing there's some sort of manufacturing defect from a certain batch of t60 batteries since 6 of my coworkers' batteries have started doing this just this past week. all of our t60's were purchased at the same time, and each member of the team uses his/her laptop exclusively at work, plugged into the ac adapter at all times, charged at 100%. now the batteries are completely useless and hold no charge. when they unplug from the wall, the machine shuts down.

my t60 doesn't exhibit this problem since i usually cycle the battery 2-3 times a month and leave it with about 65% charge on the weekends when i'm not using it.

the funny thing is that we all have laptops instead of workstations so that our company wouldn't have to buy ups's... but since no one bothered to set the charge thresholds before deploying the laptops, now all of the batteries are ruined so now there's no point to having given us laptops...

gotta love corporate IT mentality.