Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

two-finger scrolling on T43 under XP?

Forum for scripts, utilities like TPFanControl, IBM-ECW, 2-finger scrolling, etc.
ranova

#91 Post by ranova » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:42 pm

hey is it possible to add triple tap (and allow you to select middle, left, or right button)? I had to disable double tap because it interferes with double tap gestures in the synaptics drivers (I want double finger swipes to go back and forward in the browser).

ranova

#92 Post by ranova » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:32 pm

Combining the hacked asus drivers and the program works really well. (I turned down the max distance allowed on the double finger tap and now it works a little better).

Here is my trackpad gesture setup:

Double-finger down\up : scroll down up
Double-finger left\right: go back\forward in firefox, my computer, etc
Triple finger swipe down: switch to next virtual desktop (spaces-like)
Triple finger swipe up: expose-like window manager (called switcher)
Tap top left of the trackpad: cycles through tabs of firefox, pidgin, or digsby
Tap top-right: refreshes current page
Tap bottom-left: closes current tab
Tap bottom-right: opens new tab
Double tap with two fingers: right-button
Triple tap with three fingers: middle-button

Makes navigation without a mouse A LOT easier. Thanks again yak and all others that put support in this thread.
Last edited by ranova on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

integra97

#93 Post by integra97 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:26 pm

yak wrote:If it still doesn't work, try installing the modded driver from this page (uninstall previous drivers first):
http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/ind ... 17890&st=0
I tryed uninstalling my current drivers and installing these ones it worked great! And now your program works as well. Thank you so much Yak and everyone in involved in this.

Cheers

yak
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#94 Post by yak » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:39 am

Nice to know you guys got it working.

Next release is coming soon with more fine tunning options and a three finger tapping support.

I see on the google code page that we got quite a lot downloads, almost 200 of the last version, 290 in total. The word is being spread I presume... :)
ThinkPad™ X201 / AFFS-120
i5-560M 2.67Ghz, 8GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, Win 8 Pro 64-bit, UltraBase X200, ThinkPad Compact USB Keyboard,
Dell U2713HM (2560x1440, IPS), ExpressCard USB 3.0 (2 ports, flush), Nexus 7+10

usernotabuser
Freshman Member

#95 Post by usernotabuser » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:31 am

Maybe this is dumb, in fact I'm rather sure it is. Here goes anyway:

Will this ever be implemented in vista? I tried this very briefly on Vista 64 bit Ultimate and got an error right off.
Simple is as simple does.

yak
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#96 Post by yak » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:11 am

Version 1.0.4 released. Download

New:
* scroll acceleration can now be disabled
* scroll speed setting has been added
* three finger tap support has been added
* detection of driver support for multiple fingers improved

@usernotabuser

Currently I'm not using Vista at all so I don't have a way to test it. It's hard to help you if you didn't event take the time to tell us what kind of error you get. Remember, if you report a bug, always provide as much relevant information as you can.

@Zender

Good job. Let me know when you're done, I'll add the horizontal scrolling then.
i5-560M 2.67Ghz, 8GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, Win 8 Pro 64-bit, UltraBase X200, ThinkPad Compact USB Keyboard,

ranova

#97 Post by ranova » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:41 am

im currently using vista x86 (32 bit) and, on my dell m1330, it works flawlessly. Must be the 64 bit thats causing problems

awesome job on the triple tap. Is it possible to differentiate between holding a finger down and then tapping with a 2nd finger vs tapping with two at once? My trackpad is really small so its somewhat difficult to triple tap- I was thinking about 1+1finger tap for right click and double finger tap for middle mouse button.

usernotabuser
Freshman Member

#98 Post by usernotabuser » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:03 pm

Yea, I didn't report information because I didn't know that it even had ANY chance at all of it working in vista. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't complaining, just curious if I could also enjoy the wonderfulness of your awesome work.

Anyway FYI, error I get instantly with the newest version is as follows:

Class not registered, Class ID:
{9C042297-D1CD-4F0D-B1AB-9F48AD6A6DFF}.
Simple is as simple does.

yak
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#99 Post by yak » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:26 pm

@usernotabuser

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh. The error indicates that the Synaptics COM library is not installed/registered in your system. This is normally done by the Synaptics driver installer. You may want to try to uninstall your current one and install the moded driver linked to some posts above.

@renova

Since there was a flaw in the tapping code I fixed shortly after releasing 1.0.4, there is another release already (1.0.5) which fixes this and adds what you've requested:

* separate one + one tapping
* separate two + one tapping

There are totally 4 different tap gestures now, each can be configured separately.

Download

ranova

#100 Post by ranova » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:19 pm

haha yak, youre a godly coder!

Is it possible to stop jumping? Lets say I have my index finger down and then try to tap with my middle finger, a lot of the times it wants to jump to the location of the last finger that was just placed.

It seems like it might not be fixable - is there a string that doesnt allow mouse movement after the first finger is set down (doesnt move the pointer to the position of the second or third finger that is put down later), but still detects multiple fingers for tapping or swiping?

Pulling off flawless one + one finger tapping is somewhat difficult and two + one is almost impossible for me. Might be my trackpad, so let me know if yours works with ease.

Also, another request\question: is it possible to add a per-program configure setting that lets you set specific settings in specific programs? Such as scroll mode (you already have this implemented, just a little hidden), what tapping does, etc. OS X has a similar program to do this, called multi-clutch:
http://blog.thebartels.de/2008/04/20/mu ... ther-apps/

And in the future will you implement features such as: two or three finger swipe gestures (two\three back and forward allows you to go back and forward in the browser, etc). I know these can be done with the hacked driver, but I guess what I am ultimately asking is if, one day, you will create a full blown package that will not need any synaptics drivers at all?

With all the fuss and news about macbooks getting multitouch gestures and firefox 3.1 adding multitouch gestures for macbooks, I think you came up with a pretty significant creation here, yak.

I can (with the hacked driver and your tool) basically do all of the gestures the macbook can do (not pinching, yet, but doesn't seem all that useful anyways). Although the twisting to switch tabs sounds pretty sexy.

I currently have two finger swipes left\right to go back and forth, although it can be tricky at times (might scroll down\up first) and is probably best suited for three finger swipes and horizontal scrolling left for two finger swipes. Could you enable three finger swipes for left\right to switch tabs or go back\forward perhaps? - there isn't an option to do triple finger left and right swipes in the hacked drivers

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2008/10/expe ... -mac-os-x/
Three-finger swipes left and right go back a page and forward, respectively, while up and down go to the top and bottom of the current page; twists switch tabs, in the direction you spin; and pinches zoom in and out.

I know I have a lot of requests\suggestions, let me know if I am becoming an annoyance!

Thanks again, Yak

If you want to go widely public when you feel your program is finished with all the features you have planned, let me know. I am good at writing up detailed instructions and spreading the news to large tech blogging sites, although they may not be needed if you do an all-in-one :)

Here's a guide I wrote up on getting double-finger\single finger scrolling to work in a hackintosh on any pc laptop (I couldn't get double-finger to work on my trackpad, but I got single finger scrolling to work - using the flat part of my single finger to scroll and the tip of it to move the mouse):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88811

yak
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#101 Post by yak » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:43 am

One thing I noticed is the difference between my ThinkPad T41 and the T60 I have now. On a T41, when I placed one finger on the pad and then the other, the cursor moved significantly. This doesn't happen on a T60. The cursor moves only slightly if at all. This was mentioned earlier by Zender I think. Both machines were using the same driver version so the difference lies in the TouchPad itself. At the same time the old TouchPad reported a lot larger pressure values when multiple fingers were on it (which allowed the first version of the Python script to work) while this one does not.

With the T60, tapping both 1+1 and 2+1 is fairly easy and works almost always. It would probably be much harder on a T41 like TouchPad, which you (renova) may have. You could increase the max distance setting maybe?

Making all the settings application specific and doing a proper configuration dialogs for this is definitely a good idea. Yes, something like this MultiClutch for macs. I would also like to add new functions that can be assigned to a tap, especially running an external program. Not sure how to go about switching tabs in Firefox for example. Hmm.

Swipes are actually quite easy to implement. I may add it some day, the ones from the driver do a fairly good job for me thou. Looking at the TouchPad in my T60 I know why there aren't 3-finger left/right swipes, there's just no space for them.

For going back/forward I use the dedicated keys that ThinkPads have near the cursor keys. If you want to mix two finger scrolling and two finger swipes I might add some code not to trigger the scroll if the fingers are moved horizontally.

I'll keep in mind your notes about spreading the news. Thanks. I think we still need to do some work before we go there.

ranova

#102 Post by ranova » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

yak wrote:One thing I noticed is the difference between my ThinkPad T41 and the T60 I have now. On a T41, when I placed one finger on the pad and then the other, the cursor moved significantly. This doesn't happen on a T60. The cursor moves only slightly if at all. This was mentioned earlier by Zender I think. Both machines were using the same driver version so the difference lies in the TouchPad itself. At the same time the old TouchPad reported a lot larger pressure values when multiple fingers were on it (which allowed the first version of the Python script to work) while this one does not.

With the T60, tapping both 1+1 and 2+1 is fairly easy and works almost always. It would probably be much harder on a T41 like TouchPad, which you (renova) may have. You could increase the max distance setting maybe?

Making all the settings application specific and doing a proper configuration dialogs for this is definitely a good idea. Yes, something like this MultiClutch for macs. I would also like to add new functions that can be assigned to a tap, especially running an external program. Not sure how to go about switching tabs in Firefox for example. Hmm.

Swipes are actually quite easy to implement. I may add it some day, the ones from the driver do a fairly good job for me thou. Looking at the TouchPad in my T60 I know why there aren't 3-finger left/right swipes, there's just no space for them.

For going back/forward I use the dedicated keys that ThinkPads have near the cursor keys. If you want to mix two finger scrolling and two finger swipes I might add some code not to trigger the scroll if the fingers are moved horizontally.

I'll keep in mind your notes about spreading the news. Thanks. I think we still need to do some work before we go there.
The keyboard shortcut to go to the next tab is CTRL+PG Down and previous is CTRL+PG Up:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Keyboard+shortcuts
You could also allow the user to input their own keyboard presses per gesture action

Yea there isnt much room on my trackpad for three finger left and right but it is doable for smaller tasks like back\forward or next\previous tab.

Ill try to increase distance and see how it plays out.

forg1vr

#103 Post by forg1vr » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:22 pm

Hey guys,

I am new here and first of all I want to thank you all for putting the effort in, its really amazing what you have accomplished so far.

Anyways, now to my technical problems. I have to admit that I don't have a Thinkpad but rather an Acer 5920g, but I also have a synaptics touchpad and I would love to get this application to work.
So at first I tried that python code, but I i think I knew too little to get it to work and didnt understand what i was doing or how to follow the instructions. So I downloaded yak's exe file and installed the modified driver 10.2.4. So the application told me that it enabled the software after a restart. So I did that but when I now start the application I get the error message that the driver support is enabled, but the driver doesnt report multiple fingers.
I really dont know what to do. I tried the 10.1.8 drivers and now the modified ones, restarted 20 times and reinstalled the drivers a couple times too. The modified driver also doesnt allow me to use the reported 2-3 finger gestures which are now implemented, the only feature i get is that circlemotion scroll thing, which i dont find very helpful after all.

Is that a lost cause or does anybody has any advise for me?

thanks in advance,
keep up the awesome work

yak
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#104 Post by yak » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:59 am

If you open the mouse control panel and go to the synaptics tab, what TouchPad version is displayed there?

forg1vr

#105 Post by forg1vr » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:41 am

its the 10.2.4 version, im using the modified acer version.

Maybe its because im using Vista?
And when I look at the registry files, there are def. 2-3 finger mouse gestures noted, but I havent figured out how to turn them on..
Acer Aspire 5920g; 2GB Ram; Geforce 8600GT; Win Vista Ultimate 32 bit

ranova

#106 Post by ranova » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:08 pm

Im using yak's program and the acer modded drivers in vista on my dell m1330 just fine

forg1vr

#107 Post by forg1vr » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:10 pm

do you use vista or xp?

yak
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#108 Post by yak » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:35 pm

@forg1vr

No no, the 10.2.4 is the driver version. I was asking for the TouchPad firmware version. Look at this screenshot. I've found it using google so don't pay attention to the markings. You see two versions there. At the top, the driver version and below in the list another one. This is the version of the firmware found inside the TouchPad itself.

Mine is listed there as 6.2 on PS/2 port. It is possible that if this is too low, detecting multiple fingers is not possible. For me (and renova and others I think) it was sufficient to install the modded drivers to make it work.

You should also try to make the driver's 2-3 finger gestures work before giving up. Go to the window from the screenshot and select the TouchPad settings. In the new window that appears, click on the "2 finger swipes" (or whatever it's called in English) in the tree on the left. It is important that you click on the root tree node. You should get one checkbox on the right allowing you to activate the swipes function. Then use the subnodes to configure all the swipes.

Let us know how it goes.

FYI, ranova is using Vista AFAIK, he mentioned it earlier in this thread. I'm using XP Pro SP3.
Last edited by yak on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

forg1vr

#109 Post by forg1vr » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:48 pm

Hey

so, my version is 6.5. I added a screen shot.

Furthermore, I cannot activate the swipe motions in my menu, since they dont appear. I made a screenshot of that as well, so you can see what only options I got.
But in the registry, there is definitely a file-tree that would make me think it can be activated somehow in the menu...

http://img514.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... icskg3.jpg

yak
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#110 Post by yak » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:23 am

For me, the swipe options showed up after I added the

DisplayGestures

value to

HKLM\Software\Synaptics\SynTPCpl\

registry key and set it to DWORD:1.

It should be automatically set by the modded driver thou. I guess there's something else to it that prevents both these swipe settings from showing up and my tool from working.

I'm not sure yet what that could be. You have v6.5, newer than mine, maybe they locked this in newer versions. ranova, what's your TouchPad version?

forg1vr

#111 Post by forg1vr » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:01 am

The said reg-key is already modified and set to 1. Maybe I should turn it to 0, restart, then turn it to 1 and then restart again?

How would I get an older Firmware version tho?

ranova

#112 Post by ranova » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:24 am

yak wrote:For me, the swipe options showed up after I added the

DisplayGestures

value to

HKLM\Software\Synaptics\SynTPCpl\

registry key and set it to DWORD:1.

It should be automatically set by the modded driver thou. I guess there's something else to it that prevents both these swipe settings from showing up and my tool from working.

I'm not sure yet what that could be. You have v6.5, newer than mine, maybe they locked this in newer versions. ranova, what's your TouchPad version?
Yea mines 6.3

forg1vr

#113 Post by forg1vr » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:03 pm

So you guys think there is a consistency with that thing working and the firmware version?
Maybe it only works with older models, and newer ones need a different registry tweak or something..

ranova

#114 Post by ranova » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:55 pm

forg1vr wrote:So you guys think there is a consistency with that thing working and the firmware version?
Maybe it only works with older models, and newer ones need a different registry tweak or something..
either that or fully locked out in new revisions

forg1vr

#115 Post by forg1vr » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:03 pm

eff my liiiiiife. haha

dammit.

So any suggestions? Can i play an older firmware on it?

yak
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#116 Post by yak » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:52 am

All of you that use TwoFingerScroll and like it, please consider donating to keep the project alive.

In EUR Image or USD Image

Or use the same button at the project website:
http://code.google.com/p/two-finger-scroll/

@forg1vr

Right now I don't know how to help you. I don't know of a way to upgrade/downgrade the TouchPad's firmware.
Last edited by yak on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Klug

#117 Post by Klug » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:51 am

For information...

Dell XPS M1330 is equiped with hardware 6.3 and the "patched Acer" drivers can be installed
ChiraMotion and pinch are working (when application support pinch).

Dell Mini9 (aka Inspiron 910) is equiped with hardware 7.0 and the "patched Acer" drivers can not be installed (driver claims it wants to replace the keyboard controler then fails).
Nothing is working.

TwoFingerScroll says "Driver support for multiple fingers is already enabled but the driver still doesn't report multiple fingers. Either you haven't restarted the system yet or your TouchPad doesn't support multiple fingers".

ranova

#118 Post by ranova » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:33 pm

yak, if you could link a English paypal link, I will donate some money to you.

Also one big request: Can you add triple finger left and right swipes to your program or to the asus drivers? I would love to have it either go back or forward in tabs, switch windows, or go back\forward in firefox

yak
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#119 Post by yak » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:33 am

@ranova

Thanks. There are now two Paypal buttons in the post above. Both should be in English. With one you donate in EUR, in the other in USD.

I'm working on a new version with completely reworked configuration and swipes added.

@Klug

That's interesting since ranova also has 6.3 and it's working for him. Can you activate ChiralMotion using two fingers or do the two/free finger swipes work (you have to enable them in patched driver configuration).

Klug

#120 Post by Klug » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:40 am

yak wrote:That's interesting since ranova also has 6.3 and it's working for him. Can you activate ChiralMotion using two fingers or do the two/free finger swipes work (you have to enable them in patched driver configuration).
It's working for me with 6.3 hardware (Dell XPS M1330), running Vista Business and the "patched drivers".

But I was not able to install the "patched drivers" under XP Pro on 7.0 hardware on the Mini9. The problem seems to be in the hardware version, not OS.