Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Windows 7 on a T43

Windows 7 on ThinkPads
fiyota

Windows 7 on a T43

#1 Post by fiyota » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:41 pm

Hello! Recently I installed the Windows 7 public Beta on my T43. So far, everything about the OS is super stable, and everything works. I have run into a few issues with drivers, specifically the drivers for the built in Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG card. I have tried everything I know to get the wireless to work properly!

I have got it to the point that it installs Intel's drivers, but only lets me install the wrong ones. Lenovo System Update recognizes that it needs new drivers, and proceeds to download an install them. But after a reboot, no changes were made, and System Update sees that it needs to update the drivers and tries again. If I force drivers downloaded from Intel, the device shows an error saying that the "Device Failed to Start". I installed Access Connections for windows Vista, which runs beautifully, but it also doesn't recognize that there are any wireless adapters installed, and pressing Fn+F5 does nothing.

So I struggled with installing the drivers for my wireless card for a night, then gave up. So I rebooted and the screen telling me to interrupt the startup by pressing the Access IBM key comes up, I press it, the notice goes away like normal, but it proceeds to boot into windows 7. Shoot, Windows 7 wrote over my mbr. Even worse, Windows 7 uses a different boot system than any previous version of windows! Uh-oh...

So I have two questions.

1. Anybody have any ideas on how to get the Wireless adapter working properly?

2. How can I restore the functionality of the Blue Access IBM button? Preferably, without using floppy's, since I don't have a usb floppy drive!

Any help on the matter would be GREATLY appreciated!

fiyota

Re: Windows 7 on a T43

#2 Post by fiyota » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:12 pm

UPDATE!!

I just thought, hey, maybe I'll give the Windows XP drivers for my wireless card a go.

It works. Windows XP drivers for the Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG card DO work in Windows 7

CRAZYBUBBA
Freshman Member

#3 Post by CRAZYBUBBA » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:40 pm

I just downloaded a vista wireless driver to get it to work.

Windows 7 is a little slow when opening programs, everything else is great.
eMac G4/768 MB RAM/ 80 GB HD/OS X Leopard

rreinhardklein

#4 Post by rreinhardklein » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:45 pm

I recently had to reinstall WIndows 7 on my TP 43 and ran into the graphics driver issue for Intel 915GM/GMS 910 GML Express Chipset Family. Levnovos Driver website specifies an XP Driver which does not work and gets removed by WIndows 7 after each system restart, if istalled with XP compatibility.
Finally I found a working driver on Intels's website:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm ... ss+Chipset
Unzip, and install using setup.exe under XP SP 2 Compatibility and administrator rights (click right on the setup exe file) it does the job.
I hope this helps some other TP43 owners.

MnR
Freshman Member

#5 Post by MnR » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:42 pm

Hi,

Has anybodyfound the driver for the Biometric Coprocessor?

MnR
No one is listening, Until you make a mistake...
The U.P of Michigan, The 51st State.

GomJabbar

#6 Post by GomJabbar » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:12 pm

MnR wrote:Hi,

Has anybodyfound the driver for the Biometric Coprocessor?

MnR
Give this a try: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloa ... MIGR-73585
DKB