Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

QXGA in T60p

LARGE picture files allowed here. Those with slow connections, beware!!! do NOT go here on your PDA or Cell Phone!
Troels
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

QXGA in T60p

#1 Post by Troels » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:50 pm

Hi :)

Well, so i have promised to post this for a while, and finally got some time to get some pictures of the QXGA in the T60p. Panel in question is an IDtech IAX10N from week 22 in 2005, and unlike most other QXGA panels from IDtech - it is made in the Philippines.

Some more info and impressions:
The coating of the qxga panels are a bit more glossy than the UXGA or SXGA+. It's actually probably as close as you get to glossy without being glossy/reflective (see pic 13).
Panel in question has no pixel defects, pressure marks or dust. In fact the panel construction seems much more robust than the current UXGA and SXGA LCDs which somehow changed looks when they were "renamed" from IASX12S to N150P01 and IAUX14S to N150U3.
Unlike the N150* panels, there are absolutely NO ghost/crosstalk image which is apparent in grey backgrounds and dragging objects of solid black or white color across.

What it does have instead, is some weird kind of step response especially at grey backgrounds.... it will actually take about half a second before it reaches steady state when dragging grey objects across the screen. In real life use: not a deal at all, but this is a weird issue.

Flicker: This is a ~40 Hz LCD, unlike all other LCDs in laptops which were 60 Hz. Flickering is noticeable only when looking at the lcd with a corner of the eye, since these parts of the eyes are more sensitive towards motion.

Brightness: Brightness is quoted at 150 nits, but it seems just as bright as the Boe-Hydis and Idtech panels i've tried before.

Color: As the other IDtech panels. Initially colors do not seem completely as vibrant as the HV150UX1 from Hydis - however, the colors are controlled MUCH better, this is also very clear with grayscale images. It is simply stunning - there's no tint of any sort whatsoever. HV150UX1 I had is not as good for grayscale, and a lot of colors are very off. For instance, eBay auction pages are not supposed to look purple'ish. However, it must be said that the HV150UX1 does do red and blue a tiny bit better.

Black levels: Black looks black. On the HV150UX1 i always had some problems, because i had to look at the darker shades further away from the screen for them to look "black"/even - this effect must depend on the viewing angles somehow, but i'm not sure what causes it.

Viewing angles: They're really good - HV150UX1 from Hydis is still the best overall - neither of the panels invert in at any point, but the HV150UX1 remains brighter.

All in all, i think both all of the panels have their pros and cons, so unless you need QXGA i can't pick any winner here.

Images (Huge):

Pictures are shot with a Canon A80 using neutral colors, and "Fluorescent H" for white balance to ignore the effects from my incandescent lamp. Neutral settings makes it a bit too pale, especially in yellows, compared to real life, but i can't get it better than this. Shutter speeds are not always the same since i forgot to choose this based on an all-white background to begin with (and not a desktop wallpaper). D'oh.

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Re: QXGA in T60p

#2 Post by Harryc » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:58 pm

Unless it is a photo anomaly, you have a stuck red and a hot white pixel on the black background shot # 10.

Troels
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: QXGA in T60p

#3 Post by Troels » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:23 pm

Hehe.. the red is a reflection from the red eye reduction lamp (which seems to not turn off just before taking the picture).
The white one must either be the trackpoint bug or hmm... i don't know. Now that you mentioned it, i just noticed that there are more artifacts and "dots" outside the LCD area in #10. It seems that three of the dots are stationary in some of the other pictures too - the positions are completely the same... the camera must be going bad, or dust has entered the ccd area, it has not been this way until now :(