Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Is OS/2 Warp 4 still a viable OS

OS/2 on ThinkPads
i-SnipeZ
Sophomore Member

Is OS/2 Warp 4 still a viable OS

#1 Post by i-SnipeZ » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:08 am

as in Windows 2000 kind of viable. I also like to do some basic gaming (openarena here and there and stuff like that) Which I know on OS/2 is going to be limited by all means but im curious if there are options on that front as well.
ThinkPad X200

Think Different

Bookworm

Re: Is OS/2 Warp 4 still a viable OS

#2 Post by Bookworm » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:32 pm

I have Windows ME (Yeah, I know, but it's actually working better than 2000 right now. :eek: ) Windows 2000, and OS/2 Warp 4.52.

Windows 2000 works with IE 6, FireFox, Sea Monkey, Office 2000 Pro, SmartSuite ME, and Works 99. (99, or 4.5a, is the best version of works AFAIK. All they did in the later versions was take out the templates that made it so good and downdate the look.)

OS/2 works with SmartSuite ME, FireFox, and a lot of Windows 3.1 software including some games.

While it is obviously the best mainstream OS for PC's, I don't know if there is an equivalent of Encarta Reference suite, Microsoft Home Publishing, Broderund Family Tree Maker, etc.

So, while I hate to repeat an old over used line, "It depends on what you want to do with it". (I hate that line.)

I really don't consider an OS "obsolete" until you can no longer connect to the internet and view most web sites with it. So Warp 4, like Windows 95, is still "up to date". SmartSuite probably does more than you'll ever need in a basic office suite. What about the practical home/personal/family & reference software? I hope there's more of that than I know of.

I don't know much about games. I have maybe $10.00 worth ($0.75-$1.25 at the Salvation Army; $0.25 at the local thrift shop) on my CD shelf, A collection that has been growing steadily for about 5 years. Once or twice a month, I fly around in space for half an hour and get shot down. :?