Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

How to Fresh Install Win XP (Step-by-Step Guide)

Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
fbrdphreak
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#91 Post by fbrdphreak » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:35 am

kevinh wrote:I guess I should ask if I need to slipstream SP2 into my I386 folder even if my system has SP2 already incorporated, or if it doesn't matter one way or the other. Anyone have any experience with that? Thanks.

Kevin
Well, you have two options:
(1) Be a guinea pig and just follow the instructions straight up :wink:
(2) Or slipstream the install just in case
Have used just about every ThinkPad since the T42 days...

kevinh

#92 Post by kevinh » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:13 am

Guinea pig, huh? Hmmm. Well, when I get back next week, I'll give that a shot and post the results.

Kevin

aamsel
Moderator1
Moderator1

#93 Post by aamsel » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:00 am

OK, for another scenario:
If I am putting in a new, blank hard drive, and I have my own copy of XP Pro (not what came with the T42, but a true XP Pro CD with license and key), then I don't need to do any of this correct??

All i would have to do is copy the two directories to the new drive after XP is installed, and download the driver installation tool, right???

Just verifying.

Thanks,
Andrew
Austin, TX

UCI_MECH

#94 Post by UCI_MECH » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:55 pm

aamsel wrote:All i would have to do is copy the two directories to the new drive after XP is installed, and download the driver installation tool, right???
Right. Just make sure you visit IBM web site for the latest drivers.

Wizzke

Re: Problems

#95 Post by Wizzke » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:07 pm

daeojkim wrote:
alero546 wrote:I have gone through each step of this process, however when i get to the part where it is suppoed to burn the contents to the cd, it doesn't. The cd is empty. Is there anything I am doing wrong?

Thanks

EDITED: IGNORE THIS POST, i downloaded an old .dll file.
I have the same problem. I was following the instruction but it did not burn into a CD nor did it make an imagefile somewhere.
What am I doing wrong here????

what old .dll file do i have to download???

EDIT: Never mind. Being stupid I am I put the .dll file in the wrong folder... Now it is working.. :oops: :oops:
Well I put, as far as I know, all the files in the right place but still can't burn a cd.
I can see the "scanningscreen" but nothing else happens.
The program closes and that's it.
No ISOfile or burned cd.

Please help! :(

UPDATE:

Downloaded a newer aspidriver and no problems anymore ... :D

itsramesh

#96 Post by itsramesh » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:52 pm

just finished reinstalling everything with SP2. works like a charm!

The iso file (bcd.iso) should be located in your temp folder.
IBM Thinkpad T42 (2378FVU)
Pentium M 735 1.7 GHz
64MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 on 14.1" SXGA+
512 MB DDR RAM
40 GB 5400 rpm HDD
Intel pro 2200 b/g Wireless

Sasha
Freshman Member

I know.... (long msg...)

#97 Post by Sasha » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:50 pm

...I am stupid and am doing something wrong!! My machine was originally shipped with Win XPP SP2. Wanted to make a fresh install. I went through every step as indicated in the guide. Step 7 where you extract the SP2 package gave me an message box giving me various options instead of integrating.

Used the following commands to integrate the SP2 pack:
c:\sp2\windowsxp-kb835935-sp2-enu.exe /x
cd c:\sp2\i386\update
update /integrate:c:\bcd\cds\wxppro\files

SP2 was integrated giving exactly the same windows as indicated in the guide. Phew!! :roll:

When I tried to burn the CD....bcd gives me this error message:
error...c:\bcd\cds\wxppro\files\i386\winsxs\manifest\BIG FILE NAME has the same joliet file name as c:\bcd\cds\wxppro\files\i386\winsxs\manifest\BIG FILE NAME.CAT

Gave the same for a list of files.....I was struck here...... :cry:

Did something crazy. Moved the Manifest folder from the build directory to somewhere else and tried to burn the CD. bcd aborted saying that the CD size was not sufficient. Created an iso image using the bcd -b \bcd\wxppro command and the iso image was 727MB. My CD drive (Matshita UJDA755y) is not overburning inspite of fiddling with the maximum overburn of 10000.

So I used a personal Win XP Pro CD slip streamed with SP2 and made a fresh install!! :)

Now, can I use the serial number supplied by IBM with my perosnal CD? If not, does this mean that the version of win XP Pro supplied by IBM is lost forever? I have burned a complete recovery CD set.
ThinkPad W700ds 2757CTO, ThinkPad T42p 2373HVU, MCSa and my EOS 40D - My new loves! ;-)

rsramirez

#98 Post by rsramirez » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:47 am

I have a problem where I would like to reinstall Windows, but still keep the IBM service partition, but I don't know the password to Rapid Restore.

I brought this up to IBM support, and they suggested created restore discs. Turns out the restore discs copy over the existing password.

I tried upgrading Rapid Restore, but the upgrade keeps the existing password as well.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Would it be possible to use a different Rescue and Recover disc? (I just got another thinkpad, albeit a different model than the problematic one).

Thanks.

Edit:

Nevermind, figured this one out w/ the help of pchrista.

UCI_MECH

#99 Post by UCI_MECH » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:30 pm

I updated the guide with more specific instructions and screenshots for SP2.
I can confirm now that by following the instructions in the guide you should not have any problems in installing a clean copy of Windows XP with SP2 whether your machine came preloaded with SP1 or SP2.

The only thing though you may encounter with SP2 is that the “unattend.txt” trick might not work. So you just need to use the product key that is on the back of your machine and do the activation.

Thanks for everyone for his comments and positive feedback.

Leon

#100 Post by Leon » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:47 pm

Thank YOU for managing such an important and informative thread!

krosenstein
Sophomore Member

#101 Post by krosenstein » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:53 pm

Has anyone tried to burn a slipstreamed version of SP2 after substituting the correct unattend.txt file (with the proper product ID) from the original IBM installation for the file created in the slipstream process?

Leon

#102 Post by Leon » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:05 pm

since there may be problems with activation with a slipstreamed SP2, isn't it better to just slipstream with SP1,and then update the final installation with SP2. Is there a downside (other than extra step) that I am missing?

krosenstein
Sophomore Member

#103 Post by krosenstein » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:39 pm

My question was not an attempt to address the activation problem. My slipstreamed SP2 installed without having to activate. I did, however, forget to write down the product ID before starting the install, which was easy to solve. But that got me thinking, why can't you just use the original unattend.txt file when making the slipstreamed CD?

eswhite55

#104 Post by eswhite55 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:45 pm

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but after I disable the IBM partition I'm still not able to see it in my computer. I went ahead and opened up partition magic and it see's the main drive as NTfs and the IBM drive as FAT. What did I do wrong? Thanks for any help.

Riddil
Freshman Member

#105 Post by Riddil » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:10 pm

Not a bad guide, but a few things that could be done to really bump it up to the next level:

- With the method you use it'd be easy to go one step farther and set up an unattended install process. You already touch the unattend.txt once, so configuring a few options in there wouldn't be much of a stretch. Not only would it make the install faster & easier, you could add the drivers to the PNP search path, so that the correct IBM drivers are installed DURING OS setup, instead of after the fact. Little cleaner process.

- You really don't need software installer. It's a decent way to get blanket coverage with only a little thought, but control freaks would probably prefer the old fasion way to just get the drivers from
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... PAD-MATRIX

- Nice job recommending people to save IBMTOOLS before getting started. The next step I'd recommend is looking through that folder for \OSFIXES\. It's a folder full of MS hotfixes released specific to IBM for TP's, and that OSFIXES folder is the only place you can find 'em.

Riddil
Freshman Member

#106 Post by Riddil » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:11 pm

eswhite55 wrote:I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but after I disable the IBM partition I'm still not able to see it in my computer. I went ahead and opened up partition magic and it see's the main drive as NTfs and the IBM drive as FAT. What did I do wrong? Thanks for any help.
The partition type is set as another primary partition, and your system can only have 1 active primary partition at a time. Disabling it in BIOS only frees up the space.

mr.physics

Unattended installation

#107 Post by mr.physics » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:48 pm

Thanks for this guide. I tried it today and it worked just fine, including setting the machine up with the proper workgroup, name, and so on as well as picking up the installation key from the file, so I did not even have to enter it.
http://unattended.msfn.org/ gives the rest of the details.

One thing I noticed was that in slipstreaming the SP2 file into the i386 folder, it kept replacing the original IBM unattended.txt with some truncated version from somewhere else. No idea where it came from, but the key was totally wrong.

Therefore, if you need to use the installation key, make sure you get it from the ORIGINAL i386 folder, not the one that is present after slipstreaming.

thanks again for this. Worked a treat and obviated the need to contact IBM for restore cd package.

baraider

#108 Post by baraider » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:19 pm

should i update all the ibm drivers after i receive my new t42 and then backup the driver folders....or do it afterward
Current: T60 2623-D6U, Ideapad S12 (upgraded to XP Pro)
Past: T42

UCI_MECH

#109 Post by UCI_MECH » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:56 pm

baraider wrote:should i update all the ibm drivers after i receive my new t42 and then backup the driver folders....or do it afterward
Either way will work. If you update your drivers now, you will not need to do that after reinstalling WinXP.
Note that if you just received your T42 with SP2 preinstalled, then most likely that most of the drivers are up-to-date.

UCI_MECH

#110 Post by UCI_MECH » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:24 pm

Riddil wrote:With the method you use it'd be easy to go one step farther and set up an unattended install process.
Thanks for your comments. This guide was design primarily to serve the novice users who need simple steps that are easy to follow and I believe that what you are suggesting here will add undesirable level of complexity to the guide. The site http://unattended.msfn.org/ mentioned by mr.physics would help anybody wants to go beyond the simplicity of this guide.
Riddil wrote:You really don't need software installer. It's a decent way to get blanket coverage with only a little thought, but control freaks would probably prefer the old fasion way to just get the drivers from
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... PAD-MATRIX
I think you got confused between the TP Software Installer and the IBM Update Connector. With the former you need to go to the driver matrices and download the drivers you need by yourself then use the Software Installer to install them on your machine. While the IBM Update Connector connects to IBM server and selects for you the drivers you need based on your current configuration. The site you are recommending http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... PAD-MATRIX is the same one I’m referring the reader to.
Riddil wrote:Nice job recommending people to save IBMTOOLS before getting started. The next step I'd recommend is looking through that folder for \OSFIXES\. It's a folder full of MS hotfixes released specific to IBM for TP's, and that OSFIXES folder is the only place you can find 'em.
Thanks for the tip. I will add this to the guide.
mr.physics wrote:Therefore, if you need to use the installation key, make sure you get it from the ORIGINAL i386 folder, not the one that is present after slipstreaming.
Thanks for your feedback. I will add your note to the guide.

Schmendrick

Whoa Nelly!

#111 Post by Schmendrick » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:48 pm

Wow! What a difference it makes getting rid of all that superfluous dreck! My GUU thanks you, UCI_MECH (and so do I)!

I've wanted to do this since I bought the machine 8 months ago, but I was always afraid of what I didn't know I didn't know. Your guide made for smooth sailing and calm waters all the way.

The product key in my unattend.txt file worked sweetly.

Again, thank you!
T42p
2373GUU
14.1", 1GB RAM P M 1.8Ghz, 60GB 7200rpm, Rage GL T2, yada, yada....

Leon

#112 Post by Leon » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:03 pm

Glad it worked out. Welcome to our Forum. Please update your profile with location and other relevant information.

krosenstein
Sophomore Member

#113 Post by krosenstein » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:13 pm

Whoa, off topic, but isn't detailed info like location optional.

Leon

#114 Post by Leon » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:20 pm

Yes (that's why I said "Please" :-)), but it's nice to know, and in particular, location information is appreciated because it helps to answer those questions that may be specific to a particular part of the world. No need to worry about privacy, be as specific or as general as you want to be.

krosenstein
Sophomore Member

#115 Post by krosenstein » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:40 pm

"Please" doesn't make it sound optional to me; just polite.

Leon

#116 Post by Leon » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:45 pm

Well, to clarify again, it is. I would appreciate yours too, but it is entirely optional.

Schmendrick

#117 Post by Schmendrick » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:46 pm

Thanks for the welcome!
T42p
2373GUU
14.1", 1GB RAM P M 1.8Ghz, 60GB 7200rpm, Rage GL T2, yada, yada....

c00p

#118 Post by c00p » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:20 pm

I recently reinstalled WinXP on my T23 from base media (I have no idea where the recovery disk is) to shrink my win partition & grow my linux partition...One thing that drove me nuts was that I could not get standby working after the reinstall (function-F4/F12 didn't work), and in the microsoft shutdown menu stand by was greyed out...after installing and reinstalling power management drivers, bios updates, etc, I finally loaded the IBM video drivers and everything started working :-(

Hopefully I can save somebody else from the pain of that experience.

KCDoug

More procedural and Outcome Questions...

#119 Post by KCDoug » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:11 am

I'm taking delivery in the morning of my T42 2373N3U and have questions about wiping the drive and reinstalling WXPP:

1. Is the performance gain really that substantial as to be noticeable?

2. How is the procedure modified if I have an SP2 CD (used to install on my desktop)?

3. Getting rid of the IBM restore hidden partition - why? Does their restore/recovery program not work well? Could I restore the IBM recovery program if I wanted to? (I also have Acronis True Image that I use on my desktop, but I would think the IBM version more reliable on TP, right?)

4. I see mention of going onto the web soon after reinstalling WXPP - isn't that risky without first installing and updating an AV program? I once had to go to the microsoft web for updates after reinstalling WXP-H, and did so before installing/updating AV and got big time infection that required another HD wipe and fresh install!!

5. My web connect at home is via modem (I have network in office) - are the downloads mentioned in the procedure large enough that I should defer this process until I can do it on the network?

Thanks,
-Doug

Leon

#120 Post by Leon » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:46 am

1. IMHO, no.

2. Explained in the thread above.

3. IMHO, the restore partition is one of the valuable features of the Thinkpad. I would/do keep it. It works very well. Acronis as an "off machine" backup is good too; it is what I use.

4. I would install the AV/AS/FW programs first.

5. Yes.