Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Unauthorized Wireless Card

E.g. 3000, IdeaPad, S- and U-Series, B-Series and so on...
Viss

Unauthorized Wireless Card

#1 Post by Viss » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:59 pm

I'm hoping I can get on Zenders radar for this :)

I have a brand new Lenovo ideapad s10-2. I practice information security and in my practice I need to be able to crack wep. This means I need an atheros or other viable chipset in the wireless card I put in the ideapad.

I've bought two from ebay and one from a friend thats even branded lenovo. All three display the "unauthorized wireless card" error message upon boot.

As I understand it, Zender is able to tweak bios images to remove the whitelist of cards one can use.

That would be most excellent for the ideapads.

lahma

Re: Unauthorized Wireless Card

#2 Post by lahma » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:33 pm

I have successfully hacked my IdeaPad V470 bios whitelist using available tools such as Andy's Phoenix Tool and a basic hex editor. I reflashed back my modified bios with the windows 7 x64 phoenix bios update utility on Lenovo's support site. Being that there was literally ZERO information on my specific model, it took a LOT of time (8 or 9 hours), a LOT of reading, and a LOT of patience. I could not have accomplished it without all of the research done on the The My Digital Life forums. The concept is rather simple, but actually applying it to a new bios wasn't easy... Now that I know how to do it though, I think I could do it again rather quickly. Does your machine use a phoenix bios? My current bios hacking project is to enable 6Gbps SATA III on my V470. The chipset DEFINITELY supports it, but Lenovo disabled it for some unfathomable reason... I want to install a 6Gbps MSATA 120GB SSD!

lahma

Re: Unauthorized Wireless Card

#3 Post by lahma » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:29 pm

If you, or anyone, needs my newest v470 hacked BIOS (allows any wireless card, Sata 3), let me know. I probably still have a copy of it... although I traded in my v470 for a new i7 zenbook.