Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

OS X on a T61p

OS-X on ThinkPads
wizardseven

OS X on a T61p

#1 Post by wizardseven » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:46 am

I wish to install OS X Snow Leopard and dual boot on my Thinkpad T61p in order to use the iPhone SDK. I'm brand new at this and was hoping for some help. I have read many things, but am merely afraid of starting. I bought the Retail Snow Leopard upgrade disc tonight, which I am unsure if that will even work at this point. I do not have a mac available, will that make my disc unusable? Basic specs of my laptop: http://www.rpi.edu/laptops/laptops08/specs08.html. I have upgraded to windows 7 64-bit though. I have looked and haven't found any threads specifically about this. Even the knowledge that a Leopard guide to install is similar enough that I could use one of the other forums guides would be a huge help. (I am trying to figure out if it would be easier and mainly cheaper to put OS X on my current computer or merely just worth the money to buy a mac mini off ebay.) Thanks

ausmike

Re: OS X on a T61p

#2 Post by ausmike » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:46 pm

Hello Wiz'd;
glad to see some Edu's are doing work on APPLE's SDK .... nice!
Not sure you would ever get a 'definative' user guide for what you looking for - I think none exists .......However as far as T Series laptop is the BEST PLATFORM for that you are planing for@!@. If you look at this page - You will see a seperate listing for DEVICE DRIVERS avaiable for "LINUX' for diff. T-Series laptops. IBM is one of one mfg'r who do LINUX from Factory! (are still doing this) and has most of if not all of the drivers upodated regularly- which will work on OS-X also and Linux. Windows & drivers never been any issue.
DRIVER MATRIX:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... PAD-MATRIX

I have had T61&T60P running with Triple boot - OSX-Linux-Win7x64 for seeveral years now. I recently upgraded mine to SL latest release and it does very work well and fastest!! of the 3.

I am not sure what 'plans' you have or thoughts - but it be best to set out some basic "space" allocations on a particular Hard Drive you have. I am currently running a 500GB 7200rpm Drive pn my T61; as it needed especially if you going to run mutiple 'data' on SAME DRIVE - than things get pretty tight! I have my 'Data" on the T61P 'secondary' drive - also a 500GB but tis a 5400rpm.

I am not sure how and what process and guides you looking for - but theres nothing like 'self-discovery & learn as you go" thats that I did!!! > best way to learn :P:P

This is what I did - some Basic Tip(s)
1) COPY/ IMAGE esisting Drive to Sperate drive - store for later use ( as backup)
2) New Drive - Format for OSX ( make sure your BIOS is CURRENT and reflects the OSX requirements) I also use this DRIVE for my 'sys-backup' space ...........
3) INSTALL OSX = first as I found having this makes other "os" installs makes it easier
than 2nd os = Linux (mine = IBM Linux=Suse) than last = win 7 x64

.............hope this gives you enough comfort to dive and begin you new project. Love to see some SDK's that I can use on my Ipad and Iphone ! love to see ;em.

Good luck - Cheers
Work: None - Retired ! Yipee!! ~~Older/Hm use:Asus Zenbook i7FHD~~ w701ds CTO;W520cto;T61P-IPSmodels; T43P,...&700Tstill going strong!! DEC Alpha Series OS: Win7x64; OSX; SuSe Linux; RedHat~~

josh247

#3 Post by josh247 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:05 pm

I would just like to bump this thread because I am currently very interested in doing this myself. What I found after scrawling the forums is that there was a problem concerning the Quadro FX 570M. Has this problem been resolved?

yaboo

#4 Post by yaboo » Tue May 17, 2011 11:19 am

unless you need video acceleration on the 570m your out of luck at the moment.

nichevo
Freshman Member

#5 Post by nichevo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:47 pm

Then how about with the base video? I mean on T60 or T61. I also have a T400 with the ATI video and some T4x series some of which have the Radeon/Fire, but T60 would work well for me - any of them OK though.
If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets

janm

#6 Post by janm » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:52 am

Hi,

I want to try this on my T61p aswell and was wondering if anyone has a custom dsdt.aml for this machine and possibly the required .kext files.

thanks

Jan
Lenovo thinkpad X200 Tablet