Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X41T thinks it is always charging when it is not

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
Bibin

X41T thinks it is always charging when it is not

#1 Post by Bibin » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:26 pm

A friend of mine has an X41 Tablet, and regardless of whether or not the AC cord is attached it thinks it is charging the battery.

When the cord is attached, it DOES indeed charge the battery and say so.

When the cord is removed, it runs on battery just fine (tried 3 different ones!) however it still thinks it is charging.

When the machine is shut off, the battery light stays lit and it thinks it is charging (in reality probably it is discharging)

Does anyone know what to do?

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Re: X41T thinks it is always charging when it is not

#2 Post by Harryc » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:05 am

It's normal for the battery light to remain on when the machine is powered off, if the AC adapter is plugged in. What makes you think it is charging with the AC adapter removed?

Bibin

#3 Post by Bibin » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:26 am

When the AC adapter is removed, the battery light is always on. Even if the laptop is off.

When I unplug/plug it, it makes no beep sound as usual, even though the BIOS option does not change. The little battery icon always shows the plug with blue lightning bolt icon, and the screen brightness does not change. The power manager utility says "time until fully charged" and says the battery state is charging. This is all without the power plugged in.

I'm quite sure it thinks it is charging. It certainly is not, but it believes it is.

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#4 Post by Harryc » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:00 pm

You've stumped me on this one. Maybe somebody else has seen this. I know I have never seen a Thinkpad that keeps the battery charge light lit if unplugged and powered off. Standby yes..powered off no.

Bibin

#5 Post by Bibin » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:02 am

For whatever reason, taking apart the laptop, probing with a multimeter the fuse to check if it's blown (it wasn't) and reassembling it seems to have fixed it.

fraggy

#6 Post by fraggy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:36 pm

As the friend of Bibin's with the thinkpad, I confirm this result. My Thinkpad X41t is now fully functional. It was opened today by Bibin, and he poked around with a multimeter in the area of the power circuit, and concluded that apparently nothing is wrong. When closed, thinkpad stopped thinking it's constantly charging. Thanks man.
ThinkPad X41 Tablet: 1.5GHz Pentium M, 1.5 GB DDR2, 32GB Kingspec SSD
ThinkPad X60: 1.66GHz Core Duo, 3 GB DDR2, 60GB Crucial SSD

yozas

#7 Post by yozas » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:43 am

Hello, I am quite sure that the problem was with an embedded controller, it's program got "stuck", hung, whatever you want to call it :)
The "fix" that probably helped was pulling out the battery, it restarted the controller.