Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpads to GO: Any bag suggestions for a T410s?

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
wiltyb123

Thinkpads to GO: Any bag suggestions for a T410s?

#1 Post by wiltyb123 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:29 pm

I am awaiting a T410s, which will be carried between the US, Europe, and Africa (various airports, airlines, security checks, etc.). Once it arrives anywhere, it is usually stationary on my desk. I have several questions about the best travel bag for it and my other carry-on stuff:

Does anyone have a bag/brand recommendation for the 410s?
Does anyone have experience with Timbuk2 bags for Thinkpads?
Also, can someone verify the 410s dimensions for me before mine gets here, please?
Any thoughts on backpacks as opposed to shoulder bags/messengers?

I have spent a lot on luggage in the past few years and am willing to spend more on the right bag, as I have lugged around several mistakes.

Thanks.

Yossarian1

Re: Thinkpads to GO: Any bag suggestions for a T410s?

#2 Post by Yossarian1 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:37 pm

I just got a T400s, very close in size according to the Lenovo website.

13 1/4" x 9 1/2" and it tapers from the front (less than an inch) to the back (slightly more than an inch).

I ordered a Timbuk2 bag, ( http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/lap ... zip-sleeve ).

The small should have worked but it was, uh, to small. So they sent a medium no charge and it works but the padding is minimal.

I have two other laptop bags by Timbuk2 and they offer a fair amount of protection, the new design will keep the scuffs off your machine but thats it. I travel for a living so maximum protection is key, sad to se they went away from that.

The older bags are still out there heavily discounted.

Good luck.
X40 (sold),T400S (needs repair), T430 (backup), T25 (backup), X1 30th (ordered).

wiltyb123

#3 Post by wiltyb123 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:19 pm

Yossarian1,

Thanks very much. My Mac fanatic buddy said that with any brand backpack (just about), get a separate sleeve like the one you got. So that's what I'll likely do. But you said earlier sleeves had more body?

Went to the mall while waiting for my car to be fixed, but the bags there were not an encouragement. Some things on the Internet I just wish were "tactile" not just digital. Maybe one day.....

I was a bit unclear on one thing; did you just get the Timbuk2 sleeve or also one of the full bags, such as the Swig, to put it all in?

Thanks again

j-dawg

#4 Post by j-dawg » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:57 pm

What's your budget?

I used to do the whole sleeve-and-backpack thing but I didn't like it much. I got extremely lucky and picked up a medium-size Timbuk2 bag for ~$15, brand new. These usually go for $150. I wouldn't have paid that much, but I would be tempted at $75. It fits tabloid-size paper (11"x17") the long way almost exactly, so it should fit a 14" laptop fine.

It's seriously the best bag I've had: it's big enough for all my stuff, but not unwieldy, it's got all the pockets I could want (including pockets within pockets), it's comfortable to carry all day, and it's quite durable. You know when you're packing a big bag and it just flops around everywhere? The Timbuk2 bag has got some structure to it, so you can pack it easily, you can dig through it while wearing it, pack stuff in while walking, etc. The only thing not to my liking is the looks.
X61 Tablet - 1.6GHz C2D, SXGA+, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, Vista Business.

i have other laptops but i'll be honest i never use 'em

Yossarian1

#5 Post by Yossarian1 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:01 pm

I got a sleeve, and the older ones had more padding.

I slip mine in and out of a suitcase when traveling.
X40 (sold),T400S (needs repair), T430 (backup), T25 (backup), X1 30th (ordered).

First Light
Sophomore Member

#6 Post by First Light » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:28 pm

I've used San Francisco Bags (actually a heavy sleeve) for the past 15 years on 3 different Thinkpads, and could not be happier with this sleeve. They have a heavy weave outer cover over great padding, a velcro closure on the flap, and surprisingly my oldest one that I travel with a lot shows no wear. When I get another Thinkpad, I'll get another one of these heavy sleeves. They run around $60 as I recall.

http://www.sfbags.com

wiltyb123

#7 Post by wiltyb123 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:15 pm

Thanks for all your input. The T410s is here today (finally). I think I'm in love. :banana:

SFBags sleeves very impressive looking; pricey, but essentially custom fitted, and there are reviews/videos out there for those who need that level of proof.

Considering whether to get the sleeve alone (with just the closing strap) or the whole thing with cover and shoulder strap so I can leave the outer bag home most times (leaning toward backpack as the outer container for flight carry-on).

killer
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#8 Post by killer » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:57 pm

@wiltyb123: My advice is to buy a cheap neoprene sleeve from eBay and then chuck the sleeved T410 into any old bag you have that doesn't look like an expensive piece of kit. That way you won't get some dip thieving it.

Camouflage is best in a world full of pilferers. Make your bag look as if it contains soiled undies and Bob's your uncle ... nobody would nick that. :lol:

On the other hand, you could buy an expensive Lenovo case and it (and contents) would disappear in front of your eyes.

You pay your money and take your choice. :roll:
T540p Win 7 Pro 64

X1 Carbon Win 7 Pro 64 for my wife.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Dogs must be carried on the escalator. Where can I find a dog?

wiltyb123

#9 Post by wiltyb123 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:22 pm

You have a valid point. On a recent flight of mine, someone almost walked off with a young lady's nearly identical carry-on backpack. Accidental? Mmmm....

Good thing for her she was NOT a shy one and spoke up quickly and loudly.

j-dawg

#10 Post by j-dawg » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:21 pm

killer wrote:@wiltyb123: My advice is to buy a cheap neoprene sleeve from eBay and then chuck the sleeved T410 into any old bag you have that doesn't look like an expensive piece of kit. That way you won't get some dip thieving it.

Camouflage is best in a world full of pilferers. Make your bag look as if it contains soiled undies and Bob's your uncle ... nobody would nick that. :lol:

On the other hand, you could buy an expensive Lenovo case and it (and contents) would disappear in front of your eyes.

This is a real concern of mine. My bag looks like there's something expensive in it, and I walk past the PJ's every night.

The funny thing is that I rarely carry anything besides books and papers, so anyone who robbed me wouldn't get much out of it. I could carry a computer in a nondescript backpack and nobody would bat an eyelash, or I could carry my flashy messenger bag with nothing in it and brave the wilds. Hmm...
X61 Tablet - 1.6GHz C2D, SXGA+, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, Vista Business.

i have other laptops but i'll be honest i never use 'em

First Light
Sophomore Member

#11 Post by First Light » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:34 pm

j-dawg wrote: I could carry a computer in a nondescript backpack and nobody would bat an eyelash, Hmm...
That's what I use. I have a nice padded sleeve (sfbag) for my TP, and it goes in an old worn out backpack that even the dog has chewed on. While my backpack is still has all of it's structural integrity, it looks like heck and only a fool would think about stealing it. :mrgreen: :thumbs-UP:

mpcook
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#12 Post by mpcook » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:42 pm

killer wrote:@wiltyb123: My advice is to buy a cheap neoprene sleeve from eBay and then chuck the sleeved T410 into any old bag you have that doesn't look like an expensive piece of kit. That way you won't get some dip thieving it.

This is exactly what I have done for my T400s; found a cheap but just fine Chinese neoprene sleeve, and I can use whichever bag, case or backpack I happen to need given length of the trip, and it's less obvious. It goes right through security inside the neoprene.

Mike
Current: 2 x W520 ET, 2 x X220 i7, T420, X230 i5, T420s, MacbookPro, Dell Venue 11 Pro, Dell XPS 8930, X1 Yoga 3GEN
Past: IBM5150-8088 500 600E 600X T20 T21 5xT23 X30 3xX31 X32 T40 T42 3xT43 T43p SL510 T60p X60T X60s T61 2xT400 T410si T400s T500-3.06GHz X200 X201 X220i5 X220i7 2xT420s