Ok... So this is my official first post. I just want to say a couple things before I go any further. Thanks to everyone here. Without yall I wouldn't be hacking away on my T60p. This forum has been invaluable over the last couple of weeks. So no more trolling. Here we go:
Intel Core Duo 2.16Ghz
2 Gigs of Ram
V5200 Radeon Mobility
I have been backtracking all the work done here. For some reason I found myself facinated with EFI and making my install as VANILLA as possible. Silencer, Bozilla and quite a few others are definately on the right track. So I have mainly focused on the flexibility and openness of EFI. I went searching, ended up here and got my ATI card working. I like it. I love it.. its not vanilla! So being unemployed I set out on a quest to get the ultimate EFI string with working backlight stepped correctly, with working dual video.... I could go on but you get the picture.
I created an EFI string from several found sources online. I found an original X1600 EFI string floating around on some Japanese or German site. I also found a full ioreg dump from a Mackbookpro1,2 with is an exact match hardware wise for my T60. So here a few thoughts and my results:
With the attached EFI string I got full resolution, no resolution changes, I did get the translucent bar at the top. I also got some Cursor artifacts and I couldn't goto to full screen graphics and see the mouse afterwards. BUT. I had nothing loaded in Legacy.kext whatsoever related to Video.
What I have noticed are a couple of things:
-- Everything loads funky. Wormy@0 won't load at the primary device. Sometimes I got Wormy unusable. Sometimes it loaded but the graphics really sucked.
-- Looking at the IOREG output from the original card load and the hacked one we are using with X1600 kext I noticed alot of missing information. ALOT of that information can be put into the EFI string. I mean ALOT of it. I haven't gotten that far yet.
If you look at my dump vs the original dump you will notice the following
1. PEGP -- "IOInterruptControllers" = ("io-apic-0","IOPCIMessagedInterruptController"
) In RED is missing from our current setup/and when I had the new EFI string. Its there with the IOREG from the original Macbook.
2. ATY Information - In the original IOREG there are quite a few ATY, AAPL and other pieces of information that can be put into the new EFI string. I think I have most, if not all. It was a couple of days ago. Of note is INVERTER. Thats the LED/Light Inverter that comes with all laptops. I'm not sure if its needed but its of note since we always seem to get wierd shading after 95%
3. Order in which the devices load. Again this seems to be a big one with me. ATY should load immediately following GFX or whatever its named at the time.
4. X1000 loads its framebuffers, NOT x1600. I find this really interesting considering that we have an X1600 controller kext.
5. The missing data in AMDNDRVService.
6. I2CInterface failing to load with my EFI string. I know this has to do with acceleration and data flow.
That being said theres alot to this but I think we could actually achieve a purely EFI only solution that gives us more than we have now. Is it a big deal though? Is everyone happy with the way things are setup now? I personally would like to see native support of the v5200/5250. I think its possible. I think that with the minds on this thread alone its very doable. So take a look and let me know what you think.
Download link -- https://www.yousendit.com/download/aHlSOU1hU1BrWS92Wmc9PQ
Sorry. I'm still getting used to mac so if any files are missing please let me know. I'm also not used to posting in forums..
PS. The IOREG command I'm using is ioreg -lb as in LB.