Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

DSDT Patching for Dummies - SnowLeo with 100% vanilla /S/L/E

OS-X on ThinkPads
plumara

Re: DSDT Patching for Dummies - SnowLeo with 100% vanilla /S/L/E

#211 Post by plumara » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:25 pm

hi sir i see you understand a lot of this subject there for i hope you colud help me telling how i get to acess my dsdtr table in windows xp so i could change my fan spped

tank you very munch

Neflem

#212 Post by Neflem » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:45 pm

plumara wrote:hi sir i see you understand a lot of this subject there for i hope you colud help me telling how i get to acess my dsdtr table in windows xp so i could change my fan spped

tank you very munch
Although I think this should be a new post in a different forum (as this particular sub-forum deals with OS X), instead of saying "Sorry, I don't do Windoze" - haha - that never get's old.... I will attempt an answer.

Please take a look @ TPFanControl http://www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~schmitzr/donate.html
ThinkPad X60 Tablet (6363-C7U)
Intel Core 2 Duo L7400(1.5GHz)
4GB Memory / Seagate ST9500420AS 500GB HD
12.1in 1400x1050 LCD ( Intel GMA950 )
SD Card / 9 Cell Battery / Bluetooth / Wifi Atheros AR5BXB72
MacOSX 10.6.4

darkmagicmge

#213 Post by darkmagicmge » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:02 am

Aww man, I should of tried this method of installing Snow Leopard! I have a T60p that I installed osx on with bozilla's guide. Speedstep and sleep is all thats not working. Is it too late to try this method? About how long does it take?

Silencer

#214 Post by Silencer » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:48 pm

darkmagicmge wrote:Aww man, I should of tried this method of installing Snow Leopard! I have a T60p that I installed osx on with bozilla's guide. Speedstep and sleep is all thats not working. Is it too late to try this method? About how long does it take?
bozilla can help you with modifying your installation, he did it fpor himself. Or you can start from scratch, using my files should take too long. But there might be a lot of tweaking required.
ThinkPad T60p with Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600
4GB RAM, ATI FireGL V5200 256MB (1400x1050)

telecomtim

#215 Post by telecomtim » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:03 pm

Ok... So this is my official first post. I just want to say a couple things before I go any further. Thanks to everyone here. Without yall I wouldn't be hacking away on my T60p. This forum has been invaluable over the last couple of weeks. So no more trolling. Here we go:

My setup:

T60p 2007-AD1
Intel Core Duo 2.16Ghz
2 Gigs of Ram
V5200 Radeon Mobility

I have been backtracking all the work done here. For some reason I found myself facinated with EFI and making my install as VANILLA as possible. Silencer, Bozilla and quite a few others are definately on the right track. So I have mainly focused on the flexibility and openness of EFI. I went searching, ended up here and got my ATI card working. I like it. I love it.. its not vanilla! So being unemployed I set out on a quest to get the ultimate EFI string with working backlight stepped correctly, with working dual video.... I could go on but you get the picture.

I created an EFI string from several found sources online. I found an original X1600 EFI string floating around on some Japanese or German site. I also found a full ioreg dump from a Mackbookpro1,2 with is an exact match hardware wise for my T60. So here a few thoughts and my results:

With the attached EFI string I got full resolution, no resolution changes, I did get the translucent bar at the top. I also got some Cursor artifacts and I couldn't goto to full screen graphics and see the mouse afterwards. BUT. I had nothing loaded in Legacy.kext whatsoever related to Video.

What I have noticed are a couple of things:

-- Everything loads funky. Wormy@0 won't load at the primary device. Sometimes I got Wormy unusable. Sometimes it loaded but the graphics really sucked.
-- Looking at the IOREG output from the original card load and the hacked one we are using with X1600 kext I noticed alot of missing information. ALOT of that information can be put into the EFI string. I mean ALOT of it. I haven't gotten that far yet. :-P

If you look at my dump vs the original dump you will notice the following

1. PEGP -- "IOInterruptControllers" = ("io-apic-0","IOPCIMessagedInterruptController") In RED is missing from our current setup/and when I had the new EFI string. Its there with the IOREG from the original Macbook.
2. ATY Information - In the original IOREG there are quite a few ATY, AAPL and other pieces of information that can be put into the new EFI string. I think I have most, if not all. It was a couple of days ago. Of note is INVERTER. Thats the LED/Light Inverter that comes with all laptops. I'm not sure if its needed but its of note since we always seem to get wierd shading after 95%
3. Order in which the devices load. Again this seems to be a big one with me. ATY should load immediately following GFX or whatever its named at the time.
4. X1000 loads its framebuffers, NOT x1600. I find this really interesting considering that we have an X1600 controller kext.
5. The missing data in AMDNDRVService.
6. I2CInterface failing to load with my EFI string. I know this has to do with acceleration and data flow.

That being said theres alot to this but I think we could actually achieve a purely EFI only solution that gives us more than we have now. Is it a big deal though? Is everyone happy with the way things are setup now? I personally would like to see native support of the v5200/5250. I think its possible. I think that with the minds on this thread alone its very doable. So take a look and let me know what you think.

Tim

Download link -- https://www.yousendit.com/download/aHlS ... WS92Wmc9PQ
Sorry. I'm still getting used to mac so if any files are missing please let me know. I'm also not used to posting in forums..

PS. The IOREG command I'm using is ioreg -lb as in LB. :-P

Silencer

#216 Post by Silencer » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:49 pm

telecomtim wrote: That being said theres alot to this but I think we could actually achieve a purely EFI only solution that gives us more than we have now. Is it a big deal though? Is everyone happy with the way things are setup now? I personally would like to see native support of the v5200/5250. I think its possible. I think that with the minds on this thread alone its very doable. So take a look and let me know what you think.
I'm personally rather happy with my final setup. I got MacBookPro 15.4" packed with stuff (i7, etc, etc) at work, and I still like my 3.5 years old T60p better. It's smaller, keyboard is better, it has trackpoint, and it doesn't have bloody glossy screen! Of course, Geekbench won't lie, my T60p is 2x slower than that original beast, but I got enough juice for comfortable photoshoping and xcoding :)

Speaking of video, I've spent quite some time messing with plastikman's EFI string, and in the end I gave up. Brightness control doesn't work, dual screen works but quirky a bit, although I don't need it, so I'm ok with it.

Regarding your list of points:
2. It is not enough just to copy those ATY and AAPL values from original macs. We need to actually understand, what some hex values mean and then update with information related to our T60's. Unfortunately, that is almost impossible task for anyone who is not original mac driver creator. I've tried numerous combinations, and most of the time I ended with black screen after boot.
3. Not sure I understand this point. If you look at the boot log, you can clearly see when video drivers/kexts are being loaded. If you mean the order in DSDT, that's really doesn't matter at all. DSDT is processed before OS begins to load.
4. X1000 is original driver for the whole family, but it's not framebuffer driver. You can load with X1000 just fine, but you wont' have any hardware video acceleration, because framebuffers wont' load. Speaking of which, X1600Controller.kext is also most probably not a framebuffer kext, but some interface between X1000 and ATIFramebuffers.kext. The whole video drivers stuff is quite complicated in OSX.
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

bgalakazam
Freshman Member

#217 Post by bgalakazam » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:02 pm

Hello all. I've been reading on OS X and finally decided to try it on. Before I begin, I just have a few general questions, from there I will try to do things myself. :lol:

Toy to play with:
T60p 2008-87U
Intel Core Duo T2600 @ 2.16GHz
2 GB RAM
FireGL 5200
14" 1400x1050
replaced wifi with atheros

I read the entire thread carefully and just have a couple of questions for Silencer (and perhaps boz):

1. Is post 1 updated with the information which later comes in the thread / is it ok to follow it?
2. What did you end up doing for ATI? Should I go on which what is suggested in post 1 or one of the later solutions?
3. What did you end up doing with sleep/sound issue? Should I use VoodooHDA / something else?

I guess this all sums up to:

1. Which files are a better base to start from, Silencer's or Boz's Extra?
2. Which ATI and sound/sleep "fix" do you recommend?

Thank you for this great guide and all the useful information btw. :)
15" Macbook Pro, T400 for car diagnostics
previous: T60p -> X60 -> T61 QXGA -> X220 -> W510

Silencer

#218 Post by Silencer » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:19 pm

bgalakazam wrote: 1. Is post 1 updated with the information which later comes in the thread / is it ok to follow it?
2. What did you end up doing for ATI? Should I go on which what is suggested in post 1 or one of the later solutions?
3. What did you end up doing with sleep/sound issue? Should I use VoodooHDA / something else?
1. Not really. But you can safely follow all instructions, because most of the finding in the thread are related to some other stuff.
2. I think video was the only major breakthrough, now it's much easier than before, because you can use vanilla framebuffers (for the price of brightness control). Since you can install OSX gradually, you can simply skip video part until you sort everything else. Or use the method that is described, it can be easily changed. Remember, we don't mess with /S/L/E, so everything is easy to fix/change.
3. Sleep works, but VoodooHDA has some quirks after sleep. They can be easily fixed with sleepwatcher. The main problem with sleep on T60/p was the BIOS settings for modem! Thank god for ThinkWiki.
bgalakazam wrote:1. Which files are a better base to start from, Silencer's or Boz's Extra?
2. Which ATI and sound/sleep "fix" do you recommend?
1. Well, you are pretty much in luck, because I can simply send you the latest copy of my /Extra, and that should do the trick for you (still need to prepare installation USB drive with my /Extra, install OSX, install proper bootloader, copy /Extra to the hard drive, etc..)
2. With sound - VoodooHDA. There are no other options for us. With ATI I would use vanilla framebuffers, but RadeonHD project has also been doing fine lately (they do have brightness control working). But in the end it doesn't really matter that much, performance is the same.

I think I actually need to update the first post, just need to find some time :) But I will post my latest /Extra here soon.
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

Silencer

#219 Post by Silencer » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:29 pm

BTW, one new interesting thing that I've found is plugins for FakeSMC.kext: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.p ... topic=1206

I will later check them out and report results. As far as I understand from quick look, this should do magic to fan speed control on our thinkpads under OSX.
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

bgalakazam
Freshman Member

#220 Post by bgalakazam » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:13 pm

Alright, ty for info. I'll be waiting on the extras :D.

As for video, sincethe laptop is kind of old, it's dull on full brightness, so I need max brightness I could get. Perhaps I will look into Radeonhd. But, just as you said, I don't need to do everything on one sitting, so I will just keep that in mind.

I'll post if I have any specific troubles.

Cheers.

Silencer

#221 Post by Silencer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:38 am

bgalakazam wrote:As for video, sincethe laptop is kind of old, it's dull on full brightness, so I need max brightness I could get. Perhaps I will look into Radeonhd. But, just as you said, I don't need to do everything on one sitting, so I will just keep that in mind.
Well, you will have full brightness with any method, it's the lowering brightness which brings problems.
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

Silencer

#222 Post by Silencer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:34 am

Ok, here's my latest /Extra copy: T60p_Extra.zip

Please make sure that you use AsereBLN booter with that pack, otherwise a lot of things won't work properly.
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

bgalakazam
Freshman Member

#223 Post by bgalakazam » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:42 pm

edit: disregard post on EFI strings.

I think I figured it out. I took EFI string from MacBookPro, converted back to plist, edited with my details, then converted back to .hex and inserted in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Testing if it works now...

bgalakazam
Freshman Member

#224 Post by bgalakazam » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:51 pm

Silencer, please give an idea what to do, I am in a dead end.

If I use legacy kext with vanilla atix1000, I get acceleration, but with a lot of tearing. And once I do full screen youtube, mouse disappears. From there on so many artifacts appear that I have to hard reset.

If I use radeonhd from your Extra, I don;t get any tearing and any artifacts, but performance is very veyr poor. Can;t watch full screen and also the minimize and magnify icons lags a lot.

I want the acceleration like it is with vanilla x1000, but with no tearing. How did you manage to get radeonhd to work without performance issues? Am I missing something?

Silencer

#225 Post by Silencer » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:49 am

bgalakazam wrote: If I use legacy kext with vanilla atix1000, I get acceleration, but with a lot of tearing. And once I do full screen youtube, mouse disappears. From there on so many artifacts appear that I have to hard reset.
Most probably you don't have proper Frame Buffers activated. Tearing is usually indicates that. You can try vanilla Frame Buffers with X1600 Controller in Legacy kext and device-properties string in com.apple.Boot.plist (check my latest /Extra archive).
bgalakazam wrote: If I use radeonhd from your Extra, I don;t get any tearing and any artifacts, but performance is very veyr poor. Can;t watch full screen and also the minimize and magnify icons lags a lot.
I don't use RadeonHD. But it looks like like there's no acceleration at all, which means you are doing something wrong with RadeonHD (it usually works fine). If you want to try it, make sure you don't have any other frame buffers active (ATNDRV, ATIX1600Contoler)
bgalakazam wrote: I want the acceleration like it is with vanilla x1000, but with no tearing. How did you manage to get radeonhd to work without performance issues? Am I missing something?
Well, as I said, with RadeonHD it is rather simple. You update legacy kext to load X1000 kext and then put RadeonHD in your /Extra and regenerate all kext caches with pfix. Then it should work for you. But you need to have the latest version (check the original thread for RadeonHD, linked somewhere in this thread), and you need to delete or disable any ATINDRV.kext if you have it in either /S/L/E or /E/E, and check that you are not loading ATIX1600Controller from your legacy kext.
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

bgalakazam
Freshman Member

#226 Post by bgalakazam » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:09 am

I managed to fix it by adding ATI1600Controller.kext to /E/E and modifying the graphics card address.

The reason I hadn't done that earlier, is because it wasn't in your Extra. All is well now. No tearing, no fullscreen problems.

:bow:

bgalakazam
Freshman Member

#227 Post by bgalakazam » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:02 am

Next problem :D

I don't think P-states and C-states are working. I added evreything as suggested, yet I only get 4 values for P-states and don't get CTSinfo. I used your C-states as they were exactly the same.

Silencer

#228 Post by Silencer » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:05 am

bgalakazam wrote:I managed to fix it by adding ATI1600Controller.kext to /E/E and modifying the graphics card address.

The reason I hadn't done that earlier, is because it wasn't in your Extra. All is well now. No tearing, no fullscreen problems.
Good to hear you have found the solution. Although I don't add ATI1600Controller.kext to my /E/E, I use vanilla with plist overridden in my legacy kext. Although I checked my /Extra package, and it looks like the entry for ATI1600Controller is disabled in my legacy kext. Well, below are correct entries you should have under your IOKitPersonalities.

Code: Select all

<key>Controller</key>
		<dict>
			<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
			<string>com.apple.kext.ATI1600Controller</string>
			<key>IOClass</key>
			<string>ATI1600Controller</string>
			<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
			<string>IOFramebuffer</string>
			<key>IOName</key>
			<string>ATI1600Controller</string>
			<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
			<string>0x71c41002 0x71c51002</string>
			<key>IOProbeScore</key>
			<integer>65000</integer>
			<key>IOProviderClass</key>
			<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
		</dict>
		<key>ATIRadeonX1000</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATIEnableWideBlitSupport</key>
			<true/>
			<key>ATIUseTearingWideBlit</key>
			<false/>
			<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
			<string>com.apple.ATIRadeonX1000</string>
			<key>GpuDebugPolicy</key>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<key>IOCFPlugInTypes</key>
			<dict>
				<key>ACCF0000-0000-0000-0000-000a2789904e</key>
				<string>ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin</string>
			</dict>
			<key>IOClass</key>
			<string>ATIRadeonX1000</string>
			<key>IODVDBundleName</key>
			<string>ATIRadeonX1000VADriver</string>
			<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
			<string>IOAccelerator</string>
			<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
			<string>0x71c41002 0x71c51002</string>
			<key>IOProviderClass</key>
			<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
			<key>IOSourceVersion</key>
			<string>1.6.10.32</string>
			<key>sensor-properties</key>
			<array>
				<dict>
					<key>device_type</key>
					<data>
					Z3B1LXNlbnNvcg==
					</data>
					<key>location</key>
					<string>GPU</string>
					<key>name</key>
					<string>gpu-sensor</string>
					<key>polling-period</key>
					<data>
					AAAAAQAAAAA=
					</data>
					<key>reg</key>
					<data>
					AAAAAg==
					</data>
					<key>sample-period</key>
					<data>
					AAAAAACYmAA=
					</data>
					<key>sensor-id</key>
					<data>
					AAAABg==
					</data>
					<key>version</key>
					<data>
					AAAAAg==
					</data>
					<key>zone</key>
					<data>
					AAAAAg==
					</data>
				</dict>
			</array>
		</dict>
This in combination with EFI string will give you proper video support.
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

Silencer

#229 Post by Silencer » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:09 am

bgalakazam wrote:Next problem :D

I don't think P-states and C-states are working. I added evreything as suggested, yet I only get 4 values for P-states and don't get CTSinfo. I used your C-states as they were exactly the same.

Well, you have different CPU, so might have only 4 p-states, this is fine. The problem is that I don't see cpu-plimit=0 in your screenshot. I think the issue is with your ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin section in your legacy kext. You need to take the original plist from /S/L/E/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/, according to your fake model number (as per original guide). Copy entire section PlatformPlugin to your legacy kext. After that you need to open my legacy kext and copy all the stuff from that section that you don't have (this will be related to CStates and cpu-plimit stuff). Once you have done that, run pfix and reboot.
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

bgalakazam
Freshman Member

#230 Post by bgalakazam » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:39 pm

I redidt everything, and it appears to be working. I got th emissing sections to show up, I also changed the way video controller loads as you suggested.

CPU temp droppped from 60 C to about 47 C.

:bow:

Silencer

#231 Post by Silencer » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:03 pm

bgalakazam wrote:I redidt everything, and it appears to be working. I got th emissing sections to show up, I also changed the way video controller loads as you suggested.

CPU temp droppped from 60 C to about 47 C.
Well, I think now you have pretty much perfect setup. I have been using it for almost a year and didn't have any major problems. One thing you need to keep in mind is to configure p-states/c-states legacy kext sections again after every system update (10.6.3->10.6.4). Updates usually break speed step because of minor plist changes. Everything else should be working just fine after update.

Keep in mind, that I didn't polish Sleep, because I don't use it. It supposed to work, but most probably you will have some sound issues after waking up. Check sleepwatcher solution in other threads on this forum on how to disable/enable VoodooHDA.kext before and after sleep.
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

bgalakazam
Freshman Member

#232 Post by bgalakazam » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:29 am

Sleep works fine, as long as I use it from the apple logo -> sleep. Closing the lid just turns off the screen, no sleep. But that is not a problem. I just put it to sleep manually and close lid, 0.5 sec of work. :D

Next thing on my list is the fan control, if you have any update on that. Otherwise, the setup is great.

Silencer

#233 Post by Silencer » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:17 am

bgalakazam wrote:Sleep works fine, as long as I use it from the apple logo -> sleep. Closing the lid just turns off the screen, no sleep. But that is not a problem. I just put it to sleep manually and close lid, 0.5 sec of work. :D
Check the original guide on how to change your DSDT. Or use the one that I have in my /Extra pack. This will fix the lid.
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

telecomtim

#234 Post by telecomtim » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:33 pm

I got brightness control to work correctly. I will post my dsdt up today. The stepping matches when in the bios so I know its native.

Tim

Silencer

#235 Post by Silencer » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:18 pm

telecomtim wrote:I got brightness control to work correctly. I will post my dsdt up today. The stepping matches when in the bios so I know its native.
Wow, great stuff! Waiting to try it out!
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

telecomtim

#236 Post by telecomtim » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:30 am

Sorry for the late response. Here is what I did to get brightness control to work:

I removed my custom dsdt from /Extra.
Rebooted.
Used DSDTSE and extracted the DSDT. Compiled and Loaded it to /Extra
Rebooted.

It worked!

What I have been doing is going through your custom dsdt patching guide trying to figure out which piece broke brightness. What I have come down to is the changing of Device (VID. I did a whole bunch of reading(remember I'm unemployed :-D) and I have figured the following out:

For Brightness to work the correct HKEY commands have to be linked to VID(which the current T60p bios dsdt does).
BCL and BCM need to be be linked to VID and HKEY correctly(which the current T60p bios DSDT does).

I think that by changing the names for "cosmetic" reasons you inadvertently broke Brightness. Also I did a bit of testing and noticed that while the those changes are considered "cosmetic" they actually affect the end performance and compatibility results tremendously. I also did NOT pull out uneeded devices from DSDT. I read somewhere that the OS is truely smart enough to not load the devices and since everything is linked together via calls that this can break more than it fixes. I have attached mine with minor changes for review. I don't really understand speedstep but need to in the next few as I'm burning through battery and my CORE temps are about 55C. I have the old style cpu/gpu cooler and I need to do the coin trick and put some better thermal tape on it. Thats to come later.

A couple of things to note that I got working:
Core Duo recognized as processor(Used macbook1,2 since system is identical)
Using EFI I've gotten my V5200 Radeon card to working without any changes to kext(Mouse tearing and I still have OpenGL problems but I'm making headway)
PCMCIA -- Used custom kext I found which makes the system NOT vanilla and i have to boot with i386 (Not a problem with me because I don't have a 64bit CPU and I need my firewire card to work)
IR is seen but not working

My geekbench score averages about 2800( that went up as I made changes to DSDT names. Started at about 2400)
Xbench score stays around 135/140 without running the hard drive tests.

[url]http://www.mediafire.com/?pfztpfprabg2q9h/url]

Silencer

#237 Post by Silencer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:58 am

Thanks for pointing out a few potential problems in my DSDT, I will try to find some time to experiment (go through the fresh DSDT with only SOME of my fixes) to see if it makes any difference.
telecomtim wrote: A couple of things to note that I got working:
Core Duo recognized as processor(Used macbook1,2 since system is identical)
Using EFI I've gotten my V5200 Radeon card to working without any changes to kext(Mouse tearing and I still have OpenGL problems but I'm making headway)
PCMCIA -- Used custom kext I found which makes the system NOT vanilla and i have to boot with i386 (Not a problem with me because I don't have a 64bit CPU and I need my firewire card to work)
IR is seen but not working
Well, I hate to disappoint you, brightness controls do work fine if you don't framebuffers enabled for your video. I can enable/disable brightness controls with hotkeys in DSDT without any problems, but the actual issue is that when you have framebuffers active, only half of the screen dims properly.

Please go through the last 3-4 pages of this thread to check on how to enable vanilla X1600 framebuffers. It's not hard, if you have EFI string already, you just need to add legacy kext entry.

I never cared for PCIMCI (don't have any devices), so never tried any solutions. But if it's a custom kext and not original modified one you can put it in /E/E and generate caches with pfix and it will work. No need to put it it /S/L/E.

I've tried a couple of things with IrDa, but gave up on it. Don't think I would be able to use it with anything today :)
telecomtim wrote: My geekbench score averages about 2800( that went up as I made changes to DSDT names. Started at about 2400)
Xbench score stays around 135/140 without running the hard drive tests.
If have it maxed at around ~3600 in x64 and ~3200 in i386, but I have slightly faster CPU.
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

telecomtim

#238 Post by telecomtim » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:03 pm

Ok well I loaded your DSDT just a min ago and didn't have brightness control. I will have to boot up my test usb stick to try it. BTW that has saved me so many problems. I get a custom install done, back it up to a USB stick then work off that. :-) I will test again in a little bit and see what happens.

Tim

Thats my System Profiler GPU section now. Also have wormy loaded. :-) I'm not using ATI1600 though. Just ATI1000.

ATI Radeon X1600:

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x71c5
Revision ID: 0x0000
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.068
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1600 x 1200
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Display Connector:

Silencer

#239 Post by Silencer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:48 pm

telecomtim wrote:Thats my System Profiler GPU section now. Also have wormy loaded. :-) I'm not using ATI1600 though. Just ATI1000.
Again, if you not loading framebuffers, that means that you don't have full video support. You can easily tell by having mouse tearing on your screen and not being able to change resolution of the screen. Once you load proper framebuffers you will be able to switch resolution, mouse tearing will be gone. Only after that you can test brightness controls.

As for brightness controls, do you mean that hotkeys are not working, or something else? Which version of my DSDT you are using exactly?
Intel Core 2 Duo T7600

downlord

#240 Post by downlord » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:30 pm

Hi all,

great guide! Step by step I'm getting a working 10.6.4 system.
Slightly different setup (v5250 @ 1680x1050) is a huge PITA:
the only way i'm getting the video to work is through RadeonHD in S/L/E w/ patched ATIRadeonX1000.kext (w devid. 0x71D41002)
All other methods failed on my system (EFI string from EDID, Atinject...) but not giving up... :!:
Having CI/QE working, and external display at 1280x1024 (with some psychadelic colors on internal when both enabled)

ATM redoing DSDT for my specific model.

will update news....

best
T420 4180A32, MACOS 10.9, WIN7