Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

A forum-wide statistics thread about notebook lifetimes

Got a question or suggestion about the forum? Ask or comment here, or
PM an admin or moderator.
tonfagun

A forum-wide statistics thread about notebook lifetimes

#1 Post by tonfagun » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:21 pm

Hey

Did you ever consider asking all members to write down a short summary of the lifetime of the Thinkpads they owned/used/took care of? Similar to the many websites that collect consumer ratings and opinions, we could learn something about the average lifetimes of the different Thinkpad models by collecting this information.

I'm almost sure the manufacturers already have such statistics anyway, but we can never get access to them. It just occurred to me that so many, often quite technologically literate, people write on this forum, it would be easy to gather our individual information in one place, i.e. one thread, and maybe get a useful, fairly objective statistical overview from that data, which might help us/others to decide what to buy in the future.

The format could be something very simple like this (I'm using my own experience as an example now):

[model entry]
Model: IBM Thinkpad T43 1875 DAU
Bought (new): 2005, May
Problem/Repair 1, 2010, ~January: several keys were broken or didn't work well anymore. I replaced them
Problem/Repair 2, 2010, September: LCD inverter stopped working (no LCD backlight anymore) + Southbridge chip started disconnecting (PC got stuck on IBM boot screen). Combined cost of replacing part and re-soldering considered too high, so I decided to replace the notebook.
[/model entry]

Anyone else thinks this might be a good idea?

Return to “Forum Notices, Questions and Suggestions”